Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the future of rock 'n roll Saturday night, and I don't see how VH fits into the picture. A friend called up Saturday morning with an extra ticket to see Creed. I don't care much for them, but I hadn't been to an arena show in a long time, so I took him up on the offer.

The opening bands were Cipher, 12 stones, and Sevendust. They were all much harder than creed and screamed a lot. What amazed me was how diverse the audience was, and especially how many you kids were there.

Creed put on a good show, if you like what they do. I was amazed at how many of their songs sound the same at the beginning. I asked someone, "didn't they play that song 15 minutes ago".

Anyway, I don't see many of the 10,000 people there getting into VH, no matter who the singer is. I don't think Dave or Sammy give them any credibility. I think if they come back, they will have to start small with large clubs and theaters and build off of the album's success. If they go out and try to play arena's from the start, the tour will fall on it's face.

I personally thing VH's time is over. They are a nostalga act, doomed to state fairs and concert bills with Poison, Warrant and Ratt, especially if they keep the silence up for a few more years. It's sad, but I don't see anything changing. I don't think it's all horrible, though. I think it would be great to see VH in a 2000 seat theater, where the acoustics are awesome and everyone can see really well.

thoughts?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

think you're selling them a little short!!! if sam and dave can draw 8-12 k which they did in many cities surely either version of vh would. rush is doing an arena tour, i havent seen how they're drawing. with a good opening act, someone new, to diverse the crowd i think they could easily do a 10-15k average tour very easily!!!! as long as they're smart enough not to overprice the tickets.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

also, to throw them in with ratt,warrent,poison is an insult if you're a vh fan. theyre much closer to rush, aerosmith, kiss etc. although don't get me wrong they're nowhere near as popular as aerosmith cuz' they've been off too l ong!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.15.08 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I may have gone to far lumping them in with Warrant. Creed only sold 2/3 to 3/4 of the seats. If they can't sell it out, I don't see how VH is gonna. Dave and Sam did ok in a few places, but I think in most cities, they were lucky to have half the house full. I could be wrong, but I just don't see much interest from the general public in VH.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I beg to differ. The same could have been said about KISS in '96 - '97 and look what happened. They reunited and became the biggest selling concert attraction those two years. If VH reunites, be it Sammy or Dave, die hard VH fans will buy a ticket, as well as the fringe concert goer, just to see what the hype is about and to say that they witnessed the spectacle that is Van Halen.
    Rock and roll is in dier straits right now. Rap Rock is on it's last leg and the industry is ripe for something brand new or for something tried and true. The success of this summer's Sammy / Dave tour is proof of that. Only time will tell though.
    "The truth hurts."

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen has already had their time in the sun and they've run their course just like any other band/performers etc. would. Look at Michael Jackson. At one time that guy was the biggest entertainer on the planet and now what is he reduced to? He's always celebrated on MTV but he doesn't actually do anything and can't even sell records anymore. Van Halen was a great band and that will always be the case but only when you talk about them in the past tense. Is there a future for Van Halen? In my opinion, no way. I'm 24 years old and I go to at least 2 concerts a week and I see what the modern rock rock crowd looks like on a constant basis. With the way rap, R&B, pop etc. have taken over the music industry, the rock fanbase is way smaller than it was back in the 80's and early 90's. I'd figure the largest part of the rock fan demographic would be in between the ages of 14-25. People go for a heavier, angrier and more aggressive sound these days more than they did in Van Halen's heyday. When I say "heavier and angrier" I don't mean Mean Street or Atomic Punk. I mean shit like Chevelle, Tool, Thrice, CKY, Lost Prophets, Disturbed or AKA: The Ozzfest lineup.

In conclusion, Van Halen would still have their old fan base (i.e. us) and would probably sell 2-3 million records in Hagar or Roth were back but if you think they're gonna be # 1 on the chart with massive media coverage you're sorely mistaken. No one will care besides us.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hath seen the future of rock, and the future is:

This doesn't mean that people won't give a damn about VH if they got their act together and came back, they just won't be trendsetters anymore. It's like with Bon Jovi. They're respected. They're played on the radio. They can sell concert tickets. But there will never be another band trying too hard to look/sound/act/be like Bon Jovi again.

[ September 30, 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Stuff No More ]
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."