Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This past weekend one of my good friends threw a party at a lake house that his family owns. Later that night during a cookout the stereo at the house was powered on. After a while I talked the host into putting "Fair Warning" into the CD player (... He's a big Van Halen fan himself).

A big group of people was sitting down at a table playing a drinking game of speed quarters. Halfway through the song "Sinners' Swing", this guy across from me starts ragging on the music being played. He said something like "Who the hell put on this redneck, mullet music? This music sucks ass." Someone else chimed in with complaints about the music. Our host told them that the VH album was going to play until the end, and then he would put in one of their own CDs if they wanted. Well, they complained through the next several songs....... I had to hold myself back from strangling them! I asked them what they hated about it, and they could never say any words beyond "It just sucks".

For the record, I am 32 years old, and these other guys are around 26 years old. They were not much younger than I.

When the album ended, they went and put on a CD by Eminem. I about lost it at that point. They started rapping along with the CD, and bobbing their heads and arms up and down. I just looked at them and thought "WTF is wrong with young America today and their taste in music?". There was no point in arguing with them. They were fairly clueless when it came to music. I told one of the guys I was going to see Rush in concert in about a week, and he said he had never heard of the band Rush. I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't.

Oh well, I'm not sure I really have a point with this post. I just felt like venting to some other VH fans about this experience.
    "Music Is The Best" - Frank Zappa

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Dude,

totally agree with you.

The only way Eminem can get more than one song per album played on the radio is to get it remixed into a dance tune.

The stuff that's played today, Creed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc., are so devoid of any depth that they can't come up with anything original...

You ask them if they've been living under a cowpie when they said they've never heard of Rush?
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

"Redneck mullet music?" Whatever.

Pretty damn sad man.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You ask them if they've been living under a cowpie when they said they've never heard of Rush?
    I went so far as to go and get my copy of "Moving Pictures" out of my car to play him "Tom Sawyer". You would figure everyone over the age of 20 has at least heard this song before. I played the first minute or so of it and the guy said he had never heard it in his life. How he could not recognize that song, I will never know.
    "Music Is The Best" - Frank Zappa

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Twenty-five years from now, will there be thousands of Eminem fans discussing his music on the Internet? Will thousands of fans be packing in arenas to see Eminem? My guess is NO! Like DLR once said "Winners, they come and go, legends, they're forever."

[ June 26, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: SlashNIzzy ]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

People do have their own opinions but for them not to know Rush and only 5 years younger then you, that is sad. The thing to do if someone makes fun of Van Halen is to put it even louder. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

M & M is how I refer to that asshole. He may seem hard on the outside but is soft in the inside. Just a tough guy wanna-be. DLR would kick his ass in a minute.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I believe the Maitre D' in Ferris Bueller's Day Off said it best:

"I weep for the future"

[ June 27, 2002, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: wip5150 ]
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol @ mdoggie hehehehe

oh c'mon man, it's all the same 12 FUKIN notes -- all that changes is the singer. like it or not snoop dog = britney spears = van halen. it's all good, have a good time ALL THE TIME.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I fucking hate these types of posts more than I hate "Dave Vs. Sammy" posts. Other People's taste in music is their taste in music. Noone's is "better" than another. You're fucking 30+ years old, of course you aren't going to "get" rap. You didn't grow up in that generation, and therefore you are making the same argument that your parents made for you listening to VH when they were listening to whatever they were listening to.
    VH is NOT a hip band anymore, and you AREN'T 18!
    Come on, no matter whose music your a fan of, Sinner's swing is NOT a good song [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, bring FORD back, he was my hero.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You have no idea, guys. I'm 17. I'm still in high school. 99.9% Of the Population listens to Eminem, Destiny's Child, Dr. Dre, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how painful it is. And worse--they hate classic rock including Van Halen. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

~5150~
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.12.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

That's the way it goes down from one generation to the next.Don't worry about what youngsters are listening to,it's almost always gonna be something you don't like its just the way it is.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

OU812/Fuck
    Favorite VH Song

RIght Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!!!
    I have 2 words!!
    FUCK M&M
    He is a punk white boy with weak music. Im 23 years old and I have to say, it thoroughly disgusts me with the kindof music played today. I live in hawaii cus im in thenavy right,.....Almsot all the radio station here are hip hop,.......i think one rock station,...........WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As far as what was posted about RUSH,........RUSH are god and that is actual music that has time put into it. Listen to a song like Tom Sawyer or YYZ,....and compare it to a shitty WITHOUT ME by ENIENIMA!!.......It frustrated me how people can get into some of thiship hop shit when its obvious that there is no time and sould in the music. Listen to some of VH tunes,....I still get goose bumps from Right Now and being a musician,....VAN HALEN music is tough to replicate,.......all eras,.........THIS IS WHY EDDIE need to pull al's head out of his ass and go on a tour,......REVITALIZE ROCK EDDIE!!!
    U2 has put rock back on the map,...somewhat,......Take it to the next level EDWARD,...

Last Online

06.07.06 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hang in there and stand by the band you love - I'm 34 and have had countless comments especially when they see the VH tattoo on my left arm.

I remember in High School here in LA (81-85) hard rock was not in at my school - it was all the new wave shit - anyone that like rock was lumped in with the mullets sitting on the gym wall smoking cigarette's! Trying to get chicks made it tough -but you got to stick with the music you dig!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hecubus:

The stuff that's played today, Creed, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc., are so devoid of any depth that they can't come up with anything original...
    I couldn't be more fed up with the Victim Rock that passes for good music these days. From metal acts like Korn to rock and roll bands like Nickelback, it's all about how much their lives suck. Behind Blue Eyes was a great song, and I loved the Seattle bands of the late eighties and early nineties, but these latest yahoos can't write anything more profound than "I had to fall to lose it all, in the end it doesn't really matter," or even better "Trust in my self-righteous suicide, I cry when angels deserve to die in my self-righteous suicide." Where the hell is Tipper Gore when we really need her. My morals aren't offended, but my ears can't take any more whiny-ass songwriters who think they're rock and roll. If you wanna bitch for a living, go listen to some Bob Dylan, maybe some Johnny Cash, and listen to some quality lyrics first.
    -Marc

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Any
    Favorite VH Song

Any
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150 Mean St:
    You have no idea, guys. I'm 17. I'm still in high school. 99.9% Of the Population listens to Eminem, Destiny's Child, Dr. Dre, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how painful it is. And worse--they hate classic rock including Van Halen. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

~5150~
    Question is, do they hate it just because it's "older" music? Good music is timeless, pure and simple.
    Into every life, a little Halen must fall