Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave would still be playing in fucking Vegas right now if it weren't for Ed! FORD, you know it's the God damn truth too. DLR's solo career after EEAS WAS PURE SHIT!

I was doing some reading in some old guitar mags and Ed even said that he called Roth to not only sing on the "Best of" songs, but to also "help him get out of that Vegas act". Roth should thank him, not berate him.

It's also true that Sammy would not have the career he has today if it weren't for VH.

I am not stating an opinion. This is TRUE. I certainly hope that the "brothers" move on. I really wanted a reunion for the longest time but, after the way Sam and Dave act, I could give a rat's ass if either one ever step foot at 5150 again.
    The name's Munson. Roy Munson.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Munson Roy Munson, FU!!!

Remember that?

BTW, I think Sam and Dave are gonna tear each other's asses apart. I think my show is like the 3rd one on the tour, and they'll probably cancel after the 1st one. LOL.

I think it was bull the way the both said that Ed sorta sucked (in their own way) on Stern. Sam is still stubborn and Dave wants to stick his foot up Ed's ass.

Totally uncalled for. And what Dave said about Gary is bullshit too. That tech who called in called Roth out too, because Gary just went with it, he never said one bad thing about Roth or Sam.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Moving to Opinions, but I can already see where this one is headed. Another typical bitchfest.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Ed can't even save his own career, let alone save someone else's.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

.....the "wonder twins " activated does't even come close to 100% healthy Lord of the strings.....& they both know it
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Love Walks In
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say that I agree but in a different perspective. (Not that BOVI didnt help) I think that the whole reunion fiasco brought DLR back into the spotlight. Then the VH decision making kept him there...Firing Sam, Hiring Gary, Firing, Gary... It just made everyone crave Dave all the more. Let's just say that if it hadn't been for VH's bad decisions, Dave may have been a has been... (IMHO of course)
    <a href="http://www.vhwalkathon.org" target="_blank">VHWalkathon - Project 316</a><br /><br />EVH: The music is first and foremost. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it will always be. Because without the music, what is there? Nothing. There's nothing without the music. You can't even cop an attitude without the music (laughs).

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice post, Munson. The truth hurts! Eddie already proved that Van Halen existed without both Dave and Sammy. In fact, the Gary era outsold both of them. Solo Dave never outsold Sammy in VH and vice versa. There is no argument here. Eddie will always have a career in music. I really wished that he made that all-star album or that they plan to do one in the future. How many artists has Dave been asked to work with? How many collaborations, or ORIGINAL material, has he done? Lets look at Dave's musical resume.

Bottom line. Eddie will always survive in the music industry. Here is a guy, outside of his VH accomplishments, include work with Michael Jackson\Quincy Jones, Roger Waters, Brian May,Dweezil Zappa,and many other artists to name a few. (Les Paul, Thomas Dolby, Jeff Pocaro, City of Hope, etc.) Shit! He could have been the guitarist in Kiss too. Eddie will always be remembered as the most innovative RNR guitar player who changed an entire decade of music and guitarists with his talent alone.

After hearing Dave prove this morning why no one can work with him and Sammy still crying about =VH= almost ten years later, I am really understanding why the Van Halen members can't work with either of them.

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Puddin and Pie:
    Nice post, Munson. The truth hurts! Eddie already proved that Van Halen existed without both Dave and Sammy. In fact, the Gary era outsold both of them. Solo Dave never outsold Sammy in VH and vice versa. There is no argument here. Eddie will always have a career in music. I really wished that he made that all-star album or that they plan to do one in the future. How many artists has Dave been asked to work with? How many collaborations, or ORIGINAL material, has he done? Lets look at Dave's musical resume.

Bottom line. Eddie will always survive in the music industry. Here is a guy, outside of his VH accomplishments, include work with Michael Jackson\Quincy Jones, Roger Waters, Brian May,Dweezil Zappa,and many other artists to name a few. (Les Paul, Thomas Dolby, Jeff Pocaro, City of Hope, etc.) Shit! He could have been the guitarist in Kiss too. Eddie will always be remembered as the most innovative RNR guitar player who changed an entire decade of music and guitarists with his talent alone.

After hearing Dave prove this morning why no one can work with him and Sammy still crying about =VH= almost ten years later, I am really understanding why the Van Halen members can't work with either of them.
    sorry to hit you again, pie, but you're point about ed's success without dave or sam is simply wrong.

III was garbage, pure and simple. yes, it did outsell some of dave's and sam's solo work. but who cares?? gary is long gone. end of story.

and on the Best Of album, they turned back to Roth to record some new songs to help sell the damn album. why do you think they did that?!? hell, if Gary was so popular, why didn't they just release some new Gary songs?? think about it...

Ed owes as much of his success to Roth and Hagar as they do to him, bro. it's a two way street. impressive guitarists are a dime a dozen. the world is full of incredibily talented players, Ed has said so himself. what makes a band really great is the unique alchemy that occurs when certain people just "click." it either happens or it doesn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by SeriousDooDoo:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Puddin and Pie:

sorry to hit you again, pie, but you're point about ed's success without dave or sam is simply wrong.

III was garbage, pure and simple. yes, it did outsell some of dave's and sam's solo work. but who cares?? gary is long gone. end of story.

and on the Best Of album, they turned back to Roth to record some new songs to help sell the damn album. why do you think they did that?!? hell, if Gary was so popular, why didn't they just release some new Gary songs?? think about it...

Ed owes as much of his success to Roth and Hagar as they do to him, bro. it's a two way street. impressive guitarists are a dime a dozen. the world is full of incredibily talented players, Ed has said so himself. what makes a band really great is the unique alchemy that occurs when certain people just "click." it either happens or it doesn't.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dude, name three awesome guitarists that came after Van Halen that didn't rip off half of Eddie's schtick. If you can come up with three weed through those that can write a decent song. Don't mean to flame out on you dude, but it seems you don't have any idea the contribution Eddie has made and will continue to make years after he plays his last note. Give the guy his fuckin propers! You can count the rock guitarists that have had near as much influence has he has on one hand.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The simple truth is this:

Dave and Eddie built Van HALEN together. The band would have never existed without either of them. The music, the chemistry, the legend. It is BOTH of them. Anyone denying that is not only a sheep, but a LYING SHEEP.

After Van HALEN broke up in 1985, the remaining members had no clue of what they were doing. Sammy Hagar stepped in and he gave them a direction and 10 years of viability they otherwise would not have had. True, I'm not crazy about half of what they produced, but Sammy saved Eddies' ass. Anyone who can deny that is also a LYING SHEEP.

VDIII was a failure. Anyone who denies that is a LYING SHEEP.

So it's really very simple, Roy: Any one who is NOT a lying sheep can tell you that Eddie is nowhere without Dave and Sammy. The facts speak for themselves.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SeriousDooDoo:
    Exactly. If you pulled anyone of them out of the equation way back in the beginning, Van Halen would not be who they became. Same with Sam. They are who they are because of their experiences together.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    Dude, name three awesome guitarists that came after Van Halen that didn't rip off half of Eddie's schtick. If you can come up with three weed through those that can write a decent song.
    Adrian Smith/Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
    Izzy/Slash - GNR
    James Hetfield
    Dave Mustaine

None of those sound like Eddie and all wrote some great songs. As far as guitar heroes, I think Eddie was the last - I can't think of a single player he influenced who did anything remotely good or important in rock music. His influence is mainly on the 80s/early 90s hair metal bands.

[ May 08, 2002 at 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
    Delusions of eloquence

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....great respect for all 5...but i'm sorry it's eddie ...that guy is the guitar
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie is a great guitarist, I agree.

Talent can exist and NEVER be discovered. I know some incredible musicians, who'll never make it big because they don't have the desire or the drive. They could be, they don't want to be and no one is pushing them.

I sometimes wonder if perhaps Ed might not have fallen into that category. He seems content right now just sitting in 5150 and fiddling with his guitar.

Dave isn't THE reason Van Halen was discovered, but I guarantee you that he was what initially drew attention to the band. His drive for success, his promotion of the band long before they were famous, his antics on-stage... all drew attention to Van Halen. The music and the talent of all four kept the attention there.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ETRIGAN:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SeriousDooDoo:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Puddin and Pie:

</font>[/QUOTE]Dude, name three awesome guitarists that came after Van Halen that didn't rip off half of Eddie's schtick. If you can come up with three weed through those that can write a decent song. Don't mean to flame out on you dude, but it seems you don't have any idea the contribution Eddie has made and will continue to make years after he plays his last note. Give the guy his fuckin propers! You can count the rock guitarists that have had near as much influence has he has on one hand.
    </font>[/QUOTE]dood,

re-read my reply as you TOTALLY missed the point. you are confusing Ed's legendary status as a musical innovator and extraordinary guitarist with his "rock star" status.

my reply said nothinng about Ed's contribution to rock or his influence over guitarists that have chronologically followed him. i am CRYSTAL clear on both ponts. (of course, it should be understood that Ed was equally influenced by all the great guitarist who preceded him.)

but this has nothing to do with my reply. i will state it a different way: Ed owes a much of his success (money, fame, etc.) to Dave and Sam as they owe to him.

his musical talent is another matter altogether. but keep in mind history is filled with extraordinary blues guitarists and songwriters who died virtually unknown (in the pop music sense) and penniless.

is this more clear?