Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

(Look for the bold text for the funny remark)

In 1973, session guitarist and former Edgar Winter Group-member Ronnie Montrose put together a band in the mold of the Jeff Beck Group (first edition with Rod Stewart) and in particular, Led Zeppelin. Much like Jimmy Page in Zep, Montrose had a seasoned pro in fellow session bassist Bill Church, and two unknowns in heavy hitting drummer Denny Carmassi and blonde frontman Sammy Hagar. The album these guys made, Montrose, stands as a major step in '70s American heavy rock. Minus the

stripped-down gothics of Sabbath, the classical and jazz leanings of Deep Purple, the folky tendencies of Zeppelin, and the blues-overtones of Beck, the first Montrose record is pure, unadulterated hard rock with but one thing on its mind. Aided greatly by the production/engineering team of Ted Templeman and Donn Landee, the first Montrose record still sounds huge, fierce, and ambitious today. No ballads, no respite from rich, distorted guitar and the youthful Hagarís bluesy, high-spirited vocals. Interestingly, Templeman and Landee applied many of the production styles to Van Halenís similarly single-minded debut about five years later. Like Zeppelin, Montrose stretched musically and tried different feels and vibes from album to album. Unlike Zeppelin, the line-up changed every album, which might have helped with experimenting and exploring, but may have hurt in establishing an ongoing band evolution and a resonance with the fans from album to album. But, no matter here, cuz this is a best-of, dig? Just the major crushers, like the big ballin' anthem "Rock Candy," or the revved-up motorcycle slide guitar of "Bad Motor Scooter." All four tracks from the first album included here are bona fide FM radio staples, and will get you rockiní, guaranteed. As the collection carries on, the boogie continues but the bite tends to get less fierce. Keeping in mind these are the highlights, there is still plenty of cool tracks, such as the high-octane cover of original guitar hero Eddie Cochranís "Twenty Flight Rock," the tail-dragginí riff and pumpiní bass of "I Got the Fire," or the rippiní blues scales that run scattershot all over Ronnieís guitar neck in "Danciní Feet." This set also proves a band existed where Sammy Hagar was the preferred vocalist. Hard, sweet and sticky indeed!

LMAO!!

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe Montrose will reform with David Lee Roth as the new singer.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy Hagar clearly was to Montrose, what David Lee Roth is to Van HALEN. Just as many people thought Dave's last name WAS "Van Halen", so was Sammy called "Mr. Montrose" on more than one occasion. It is my belief that if Alex had any other last name other than Van Halen, that he and Mikey would have followed Dave in 1985, just as Denny Carmassi and Bill Church followed Sammy when Montrose broke up in 1976.

So there you go, Van Hagar fans. In a very real sense, Sammy knew what it was like to be in Dave's shoes, because in Montrose, he was! Maybe this had something to do with his aversion to singing Van HALEN songs?

Do you suppose any of the fake "Montrose" singers really wanted to sing "Rock Candy"??

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Montrose is: Sammy, Ronnie, Bill, Denny. Any questions?

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited October 30, 2000 at 05:45 PM).]

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

They are wrong.
    Sammy is definately my prefered vocalist in Van Halen by far!!!!

Sammy rules!!!

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:
    It is my belief that if Alex had any other last name other than Van Halen, that he and Mikey would have followed Dave in 1985, just as Denny Carmassi and Bill Church followed Sammy when Montrose broke up in 1976.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before Fair Warning, Eddie was thinking of going Solo, everyone in the band stuck by his side and begged him to stay and keep the band together. There was no way that Alex or Mikey could have servived without Dave and Eddie. And they knew it. It was a very emotional period for David. After Fair Warning was recorded and they started touring is when David started digging deeper into "Going Solo" he even asked to change the name from Van Halen to "David Lee Roth Band." His ego grew and the record company saw the lovely $ in anything that had to do with them. So they fed him more and more glorious info on his own solo effert. Look what happend.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The funny thing about this is that I don't own, and have even ever heard a tune from "Montrose" or own any of Dave's solo work. Any reason why Montrose and solo DLR stuff isn't a staple of "rock radio" like classic Van Halen?

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Well Jimmy, I still hear Bad Motor Scooter and Rock Candy on the classic rock station around here quite often.

Also, any list of the all time great rock and roll albums will include the first Montrose album, it is one of the best rock albums ever, no doubt about it.

Also, kind of funny that VH was molded a little bit by what Sammy was doing before VH hit, not much, but a little. Also funny that two of the great rock bands of all time were fronted by Sammy.

Just goes to show you how influencial(sp) Sammy has been during the last 27 years.

Oh and the reason solo Dave is not a staple of rock radio is because he kind of sucked as a solo artist,IMO.

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics

I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

[This message has been edited by bigdogdo (edited October 30, 2000 at 08:06 PM).]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've never understood why people say Dave sucked solo. VH it ain't, but it hardly sucks. It's got the same attitude that VH hard.

At the same time, I don't know why people own every VH album but haven't explored the various solo material. It just seems like a natural thing to do to me.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

You're right MikeL, Dave's solo stuff is incredible!!!
    But I find that I like each album he does solo less than the previous one.
    My favorite is Eat Em' And Smile and my least favorite is DLR Band.

Montrose is awesome too!! I heard Bad Motor Scooter on the radio the other day Jimmy. It's hard to believe those songs on the first album are almost thirty years old and they still sound awesome!

This topic is just a opinion of KNAC so i'm moving it to VH Opinions.

------------------
    Right Now you're reading my post!
    She's a vision from coast to coast...
    Kicking back ain't kicking you...
    Don't disturb my paradise,
    i've asked you once, I asked you nice...
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, I know around here we don't get Montrose played on the radio - almost like the band came and went unnoticed if you take radio in Cincinnati as a guage.

Of course I bought the Montrose album a few months back on the blind urgings of the UFF and was happy with it. It's kind of a feel of Zepplin meets the forefathers of Van Halen mid '70s sound to it.

Anybody else feel it's ironic that both times Sammy wasn't a solo artist, his band was named after the lead guitarist?

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The only way that would make Van Halen not work, is not having Edward, Alex, and Mike. They created the sound, the music, and Ed innovated every guitar player on how the instrument would be played.

And as far as Sammy not being the preferred singer in VH, how would the KNAC explain the sales of 5150 and the other Sammy material as opposed to Dave's solo career. I would take Sammy in Van Halen any day if I had the choice. If Dave was as big as his ego, the majority of fans would have flocked to him. It was apparent that as each album with Sammy went on, another nail was hammered in to Dave's solo career.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I look at it like this, Georgie:

No one tries to deny that the band Dave surrounded himself with on EUAS and SS wasn't a good band. And no one denies that they didn't have some good songs on there. Same with the other bands he played in (although seemingly less so as time went one).

But for me at least, DLR solo is just missing something that I can hear on every VH album (even 3). Sammy hasn't captured it with the Wabos, and Dave never captured it with his bands.

Mainly because other bands didn't have Eddie, Al, and Mikey

But something else I thought about... Could anyone BUT Sammy have replaced Dave in '86? Sammy had a semi-successful solo career going. Sammy had been the frontman of a major hard rock act before, one that can easily be compared to VH. Sammy had worked with Ted Templeman and Don Landee in the past. And WB obviously liked Sammy. It just seems like it was "meant to be"...

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice article, Spanish Doc!

As far as FORD comparing Sammy to Montrose, like Dave to VH, he makes a good point. The big difference is a) Montrose was NEVER as big as VH, b) Dave left. Sammy was kicked out.

Head-Hunter, if that is true, that is incredible. Dave actually wanted to change the name? WOW!

Montrose has always been a regular, on Detroit radio. They toured here so much, back in the day, that they were thought to be a "local band".

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

"Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard
    "Politians speech is jive. He likes to keep her lie alive. And mass confusion, makes him strong...Serious JuJu!" -Sammy 10/13
    "They'll find a cure, for anything. Just kill the pain! Numb my brain!" -Sammy, OU812
    "Winner takes it all, 'Till he breaks the fall, In time he'll make it over the top! -Sammy, Over The Top
    Check-out the latest news on Sammy! Click!: www.shnewsdesk.com

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:

But something else I thought about... Could anyone BUT Sammy have replaced Dave in '86? Sammy had a semi-successful solo career going. Sammy had been the frontman of a major hard rock act before, one that can easily be compared to VH. Sammy had worked with Ted Templeman and Don Landee in the past. And WB obviously liked Sammy. It just seems like it was "meant to be"...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not know at the time but David Coverdale could have possibly filled those shoes. He was never interviewed for the spot.

Big Brother IS Watching

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You seem to really know your stuff head hunter. As I sit here with my Jose Cuervo Margarita, I ponder the thought of who you might be. Who you know. And why I have an, just a second, empty glass in my hand. Be back in a minute.

------------------
    "The reason most critics prefer Elvis Costello to Van Halen is......most of the critics look like Elvis Costello." DLR