Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been a fan of Van Halen for many years. I will say no matter the singer what brought me to follow the band in the first place was/is the guitar. Like many others EVH played a large role in me picking up a guitar.

For months, now going on years, I read constantly on this board about how Dave was the ultimate frontman, and the real fanatics say he is just the only choice for Van Halen. Another point I'd like to say is that all through the recent tour it seems the majority say Dave's voice is shot.

I saw VH with Sammy twice, and only on video with Gary. Not until the other night have I ever seen VH with DLR live or video. Here are my own personal observations and thoughts after watching the infamous US festival from 1983.

To the DLR fans, what drug are you people using because man if I had it life sure would be a parade. This concert (from what I have read) is supposed to be VH at their peak, I thought it was complete garbage, never heard them play so bad even on other bootleg recordings, or live in person or video. And Dave? My God if he has lost his voice any more than displayed on that then the man should just be politely told to retire and go home. The guy doesn't even sing, he just speaks the words and stands there with that stupid grin on his face. And I enjoyed the concert with Cherone that was on t.v. from Sydney, but for those accusing him of acting like a fag, I'll tell ya he was nothing like DLR. I didn't even think he was a good frontman, was more of an annoyance that got in the way of the music, may explain all the mistakes.

It became clear to me that DLR is a studio singer and that is it. In the studio they can fix things and make him sound ok, but live? Can't cut it, certainly does not have the capability of Sammy or even Cherone to perform decently live, because he just is not a singer.

Just my opinion, but I am glad there is no CLR with VH, that would just be a very bad mistake, better they just stay quiet and fade away then to go back to that.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.30.06 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam put it best when he said "I've never seen a man in more dire need of a blowjob". You sir, are that man. And no, don't ask me for one. Good luck in your quest!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you sir are a very sick individual, and you know what? Fuck it, fuck this board. I thought flaming was banned. Screw this shit! This can only be described one way...Van Halen.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

**disclaimer: long & windy**

Originally posted by Black Knight:
    It became clear to me that DLR is a studio singer and that is it. In the studio they can fix things and make him sound ok, but live? Can't cut it, certainly does not have the capability of Sammy or even Cherone to perform decently live, because he just is not a singer.
    This is where a lot of people who never saw the band live with Roth make their mistake, they assume he used to be a great live singer, when in fact, he sounds little different now live than he did then. Heck, from some of the live bootlegs I've heard recently, he may actually be a tad better now! He's never been a great live singer, but he's always been a great live performer, even if his schtick could use some freshening up after nearly 25 years of hard flogging. If you ever went to see a Roth performance expecting to hear Geoff Tate or Ray Gillan-esque vocal perfection, you would've been completely barking up the wrong tree, which really was never a problem anyway, because that's never really what Roth and VH with Roth were about in the first place. It was all about raw vibe, energy and rock 'n' roll attitude, when the guys were all young, pissed off and hungry, there simply could've been no better frontman choice for such a bombastic bundle of pure primal rock 'n' roll sweat and swagger than DLR at the time.

That "era" of VH will always be my own personal favorite, because as with many others here, that era served as a soundtrack for much of our youth, when we were all immortal and without a care in the world save for getting laid and where the next party would be found, usually a mutually-inclusive proposition at the time. There has never been a band either before or since IMHO that has both personified and captured that spirit, the pure, unadulterated joy of being alive as completely as VH Mk. I managed to accomplish on those first six records and tours, which were in and of themselves unparalleled celebrations of life that transcended such petty details as the "quality" of the live vocals, something no one gave a flying fuck about when they were drunk, stoned and 16 anyway!

What most of the die-hard Rothophiles (I'm trying to be nice here... lol) can't seem to overcome, however, is the fact that the people who made up that band have changed since then, with the possible exception of Roth, the eternal poster boy for Peter Pan Syndrome. Like it or not, they've all grown up and have grown musically as well, perhaps not to your own personal liking, but that does nothing to change the fact that they've evolved into a very different entity than the group who used to take the stage pre-1985. (BTW... for those of you who have lost count, that was nearly eighteen years ago!)

I'll always prefer "Classic" Van Halen to just about anything else, but as I've grown myself, I've come to realize that change isn't always a bad thing, and that there's plenty to dig about the band's other incarnations, especially with Sammy, which while different to be sure, yielded some truly special moments as well, both on record and live, that I'd hate to have been too caught up in nostalgia and senseless, petty bitterness to have missed. You'd be surprised at how much cool shit you can miss out on if you stumble aimlessly through life with your eyes, your heart and your mind shut that tightly. Life's fuckin' short enough as it is... drink your fill of it while you're here!

As for the... "state" of "Van Halen the Next Generation", as a hardcore fan for most of my life, I for one say it's time to pull the plug and put it to rest while there's some semblance of dignity to be salvaged, if it's not already too late. Let all the reunion BULLSHIT and bitterness be fucking gone already and move on, it's time! I for one do NOT want to see these guys go through the motions in a soulless marketing campaign which is ALL a reunion would be about right now, even if it COULD come off. I'd just like to see and hear all these guys making whatever music makes them happy and truly inspires them these days, even if it isn't Fair Warning revisited. At least Dave and Sammy are still at it, the brothers Van Halen, however, certainly at least appear to have lost much of their direction in life without it.

C'mon guys... make some music already, it'll make you (and us) feel much better!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SBS

[ November 23, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brown Sound that was an excellent post! Although I don't agree w/everything contained within it, I agree w/your views on what has made Dave the icon that he is. Well written, hope to see more of your wise words in the future.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

P.S. "Ontario sure is a tough crowd tonight! (tapping the microphone)... "Hello? Is this thing on???"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Black Knight:
    I think you sir are a very sick individual, and you know what? Fuck it, fuck this board. I thought flaming was banned. Screw this shit! This can only be described one way...Van Halen.
    Forget it man, everyone gets a bizzare response like that now and then.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry you took it so hard and I was just kiddin'. Just relax, way too tense around here. Peace to you, my new Canuck friend.