Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like Dave era best and dont really care for the Sammy or Gary stuff. Some of you say "why dont you move on past '85?" Thats easy for a hagar fan to say, or a fan of all the singers. Did i "move on" after '85? What exactly do you mean by "move on"? You mean did i buy 5150 and 0U812 and give them a try? Yes. Did i like them? No. Did i go buy the rest of the Sammy albums that came after those and force myself to listen to a singer who's singing i did not like? No. I have heard every Van Hagar album, 5150 through Balance as well as VH 3 with Gary. It just doesnt sound like the same band and its not the same band that turned me on to rock music. The attitude was gone, and their music went a different direction. Gone was the hard rockin' party Van Halen that i was a fan of, so i stopped listening because i did not like the music. Thats cool if others liked it, but i just wasnt into it. Does this mean im not a "true fan" because i didnt go buy all the albums just because Eddie is in the band and because they say Van Halen on them? No, not to me it doesnt. Ive heard some folks on here say, "If my baseball team is on a losing streak do i quit the team?" That is completely retarted. That comment makes it sound like if i dont buy all the albums and support something i dont like then im not a "true" fan. Anyway my point is, i gave all the VH eras a try, liked Dave era, hated the other two. Does this mean im not a fan? No. Why cant people just like what they like without being accused of not being a "true" fan?

[This message has been edited by VHwasCoolestWithDLR (edited August 28, 2000 at 08:09 PM).]

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I consider myself a true fan of Van Halen and I like all of the incarnations of the band. But it's not my place to judge another fan on what they do and don't like, or whether or not they are a true fan. Music is a pretty selfish thing to me, because my main concern is what I like, not what anyone else likes.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Very good point Glenn. I think to be a true fan you don't have to like every era. You can like the Roth era and still be a true VH fan, but just of the Roth era. I like all 3 so It's all good to me. I, like Glenn, also don't care what anybody else likes. We are two selfish sonsofbitches!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nobody said i wasnt a true fan, but i noticed there's alot of people here that like to call others fareweather or not true fans. Just wondered what someone who is not a true fan is.

crossing_over
    i am a TRUE FAN and my characteristic :
    -Fan since 1992
    -i´ve all their records (no mather the era)
    -i bought vh3
    -Dave?Sammy?Gary?I don´t care it!!!
    -All my life turns around VH.
    -i believe In Edward/Alex words even when they are wrong...

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why you´re crossing over...

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I consider myself a "true" fan, but have never given a rats ass whether anyone else did or not. Being a true fan doesn't mean being a blind following sheep and accepting whatever they tell you. Eddie and Alex fucked up bigtime in 1996. They realize this now. I realized it then. I bought all the Van Hagar albums, but I couldn't bring myself to buy VD III. Even if it would have been a good album, I doubt I could have convinced myself to finance the fiasco (got BOV 1 for $5 at the used store a week after it was released, so Ed and Ray didn't make a dime from me there either.

But despite a fiasco like that, nobody wants that reunion tour more than me. Just as much, maybe, but not more

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

crossing_over
    it´s ok Ford ...about VH3 c´mon is just a joke!!!
    about Ed and Alex ...this guys are great even with their lies...

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why you´re crossing over...

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Being a true fan doesn't mean you have to buy every album. I remember a quote from Eddie in an interview with Guitar Magazine where he says, "If you want the old, buy the old. You want the new, buy the new if you like it. Nobody's forcing you to do anything."

------------------
    Dan Halen
    http://www.geocities.com/dan_halen27/main.html

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

I also consider myself a true fan. Not because I liked the 3 incarnations of the band. It is from sticking with them thru
    thick and thin. From the bad moments of 1996 until the uncertainity of today, I've taken a boatload of heat for them. I'm sure many of you have also gotten laughed at. Some of you have laughed at the band for bringing in Sammy and Gary. That is okay, you are entitled to it. The problem with keeping the same name of a band that's had 3 different singers, is the identity crisis among fans.
    If VH chose to be called Van Hagar in 1985, that would have been fine with me. It would have shown the difference. But they did not.
    Anyway, whether you like or dislike any of the singers is your own choice. I'm just going to keep on rockin' with VH!!!

Bring back Dave!!!

------------------
    May the Phoenix that is Van Halen rise again!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

being a true fan in part means standing in line at every midnight madness sale on the night before the official release of every VH album since I got into the band: (ie: 1985)...

That includes VH3 AND BOV1...

But I can't say that is the ONLY way to be a fan...just my way. Every person has their own way of expressing what their favorite band means to them!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I consider myself a huge VH fan. I love the band and all 3 incarnations of it. I think it's about hanging in there through all the good and bad times. Fortunately with VH it's mostly been positive. The Gary era didn't go according to plan but sometimes things just don't work out and you move on. Besides which DLR is back and the new album and tour are going to kick ass. Life is GOOD!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]
    Being a true fan doesn't mean being a blind following sheep and accepting whatever they tell you. [\QUOTE]

Actually, FORD, I'm kind of offended by that comment. I bought III. Why? I bought it because, damnit, I like Van Halen, and, gasp, I liked III too. That doesn't mean I bow down to whatever Eddie says or does - I bought it because I heard it and liked it.

Now, my two cents might be a bit exclusive on this, but I'll say it and start by saying this is in no way an attack on anyone.

A "true" fan, otherwise known as a hardcore fan, is someone that has liked almost all of the material a band has released. This is regardless of singers and other lineup changes. Hence, a "true" VH fan is someone that, give or take an album, likes everything in VH's lineup, from VH1 right up to VH3.

Now, a fan is someone that draws the line somewhere. Something like, "I like the DLR stuff, but hate everything since." They're a fan, but not hardcore.

A "fair weather" fan is someone that jumped on an album, say 1984, because it was en vouge. Like buying 1984 for Jump and not caring about the rest of the band.

Everyone here is at least a fan. Are we all hardcore? Nah. But there's nothing wrong with preferring a specific portion of the band's life - it's part of the fun of dealing with a band that can't keep a singer for more than 11 years.

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

is this hardcore or what : liked all 3 eras ,but never bought a dave solo, or sam solo record .

------------------
    IN 1984 VH JUMPED PANAMA TOPPED JIMMY AND DROPPED DEAD LEGS?..I'LL WAIT.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A true fan is one that does not degrade a fellow fan for what he/she likes.

------------------
    "Sayonara, Suicide, Hari-Kari, Kamikaze, you won't see another evening, bye-bye..."

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.08.05 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I consider myself a true fan but can't stand Hagar, Daniels/Cherone. A lot of people I know tell that I'm not a true fan cause I don't take Ed and Al's words as gold. They arn't gods so I'm not going to reverence them as gods. If they say something that is wrong I'm not going to believe it. If they keep pissing and moaning about Dave and Sam and how they are horrible human beings, all I have to say is "look in the mirror guys!" There has to be wrong on both sides for things that were going good to suddenly explode and everybody hates each other. I think ED is the best guitarist but they(with the exception of Mike) better look at their own lives before judging Sam and Dave's mistakes.

------------------
    "I can sleep easy at night now, knowing that David Lee Roth is back in Van Halen."