Register
Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious...

Here's my take on the album:

A mix of new and old. Heavy hitting tunes like 'Aftershock' and 'Don't tell me' and 'Feelin'.

Liked Ed's tone on 'Balance', and liked the 'spiritual' influence on '7th Seal'.

Didn't care for the instrumentals and radio friendly songs.

Here's what killed the album:

Sammy's screaching and pseudo-yelps; lyrics flat out sucked.

All in all, Balance was Sammy's worst effort with the band, which leaves me wondering why so many people like it...

What's everyone else's take?
    "The day will come when it will sound better, but it will still be digital. To me, it just isn't musical. And when it comes to music, I'm the Unabomber of digital technology. I hate it." -Eddie Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Me Wise Magic:

What's everyone else's take?
    Borrowed it, gave it back same day!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was the first album I owned and first tour I saw.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny how opinions can differ so greatly.

I think it's by far the band's best effort with Sammy, with some truly legendary riffs that rival anything Ed's done in any era. Also, from a musicianship standpoint, it was easily the tightest, most rock-solid live performance I've ever witnessed from them on tour; and I've seen them at least once on every tour with the exception of VHIII since the "Fair Warning" tour. I think it's a great fuckin' record. The whole "lyrics" argument is weak... Van Halen has always been about the groove first, and if you're seeking deep, meaningful, thought-provoking & socially relevant lyrics, unless you're just ridiculously easily amused, you're going to be seriously disappointed with anything either Sam OR Dave has ever come up with. It ain't fuckin' U2, kids... it's Van Halen.

SBSS

[ September 12, 2002, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Balance=nothing outstanding

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have to throw in the toronto PPV show too- i remember watching that and thinking- how pathetic? the band just looked bored or something... the crowd was just bummy and subdued... i thought that was the worst live VH show i had ever seen on tape... especially compared to RHRN video- i guess everyone's perceptions are different...

one BIG pet peeve about balance was that alot of the chorus were repetions of 3 words - like amsterdam-"yeah yeah yeah" or seventh seal "down down down" - i know there is another one- and it irritates me everytime i hear it...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I thought the Toronto PPV was an outstanding concert. The band was very tight musically and seemed to enjoy the Toronto vibe. Those 2 shows were followed by a killer one in Ottawa (my hometown) and that gig was even better.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    Funny how opinions can differ so greatly.

I think it's by far the band's best effort with Sammy, with some truly legendary riffs that rival anything Ed's done in any era. Also, from a musicianship standpoint, it was easily the tightest, most rock-solid live performance I've ever witnessed from them on tour; and I've seen them at least once on every tour with the exception of VHIII since the "Fair Warning" tour. I think it's a great fuckin' record. The whole "lyrics" argument is weak... Van Halen has always been about the groove first, and if you're seeking deep, meaningful, thought-provoking & socially relevant lyrics, unless you're just ridiculously easily amused, you're going to be seriously disappointed with anything either Sam OR Dave has ever come up with. It ain't fuckin' U2, kids... it's Van Halen.

SBSS
    man..i totally agree with ya... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] love that album..

[ September 12, 2002, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: muffdiver ]

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    i have to throw in the toronto PPV show too- i remember watching that and thinking- how pathetic? the band just looked bored or something... the crowd was just bummy and subdued... i thought that was the worst live VH show i had ever seen on tape... especially compared to RHRN video- i guess everyone's perceptions are different...

one BIG pet peeve about balance was that alot of the chorus were repetions of 3 words - like amsterdam-"yeah yeah yeah" or seventh seal "down down down" - i know there is another one- and it irritates me everytime i hear it...
    I TOTALLY disagree. That is one of the best VH concert videos out there! Boring? I don't see how you could say that.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have to admit- i haven't watched that since i recorded it... i really have to watch it again after all the raving about it here- maybe it was good and i was in a bad mood when i saw it or something... it has been like 7 years or something...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    the crowd was just bummy and subdued... i thought that was the worst live VH show i had ever seen on tape...
    Wow!

Maybe you better throw that bad boy in the VCR again. "Bummy and Subdued" couldn't be futher from the truth. I have a friend from Canada that went to both shows and he said it was electric(i could tell that from not being there). It's all right there in front of your "Naked steamy eyes".
    The 'Foot has landed.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

7th Seal / Amsterdam
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all I must say that if I buy an album and like 1/2 of the tunes on it that Im pretty satisfied. Balance was like that for me. I thought that 7th Seal was musically very close to Poundcake but I really liked the spiritual/serious vibe going on in the song. Also Amsterdam is my fav on the album. That being said I was pleased w/ the offering for the most part and thought that Sammy did a nice job on the lyrics as well as the vocal performances. Eddie had some shining moments throughout the body of work but the last 1/2 of the album didnt do much for me personally. Anyways just my take. By the way Im not a "young guy" who isnt intimately familiar w/ most of Van Halens material. All in all I mostly enjoyed that album!
    "Dude, that smells...Did you check your drawers?" -EVH<br /><br />witch-hunt.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

The guitar work, vibe and dark tone of Balance is what worked for me. Plus Al & Mike's rythum backing was the best served up!!

Vocally I've had the thought of getting one of those strip the vocals things and Balance would be my 1st project... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

for some reason i'm always split on balance..lol

sometimes i think it's a good album and sometimes i'm like whatever...

the production is great...no doubt about that one.

i don't care for seventh seal all that much. and csly, ne, and tmb, make the album weaker. the strungout shit is silly. dtmwlcd..i can take it or leave it. shit that's almost the whole album. my fav's must be amsterdam, big fat money, balucitherium, aftershock, and feelin.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Awesome production, I like the dark vibe a lot. There are a couple throw-away tunes sure, but there is some real solid stuff on there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: