Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Let's assume, for the sake of this topic, that neither Sam nor Dave will rejoin the band. If that is the case, the ONLY way for Van Halen to retain any credibility (musically and otherwise) is to go out on the road with Mikey playing bass and singing. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Think about it - we all know that Mike can sing. He can certainly do that and play bass simultaneously. Ed and Al won't have to deal with "lead singer disease". The fans (who seem to be forgotten in all this) get what we want: Van Halen out on the road. They could even record a few songs and put out an EP. I'd like to know what the board thinks.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

No, then after a few months Eddie would be telling the press that the next time that he sees Mikey that he'd better be wearing a cup. Then all of the brothers problems would all be Mikey's fault.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Last Online

06.07.06 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on Brother! Give the gig to Mike - he's the ultimate company man.

After seeing Roth the other night - call Sammy and if they can't resolve it give it to Mike.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.12.12 @ 01:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One question though......IS Mikey still in the band?
    "Once believed,Can't ever loose faith."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Whether Dave returns, Sammy returns, they get a fourth singer, or if Mikey takes over the vocals, I want a new album of new material to kick it off.

Which leads to a huge problem if Mikey is going to be the frontman; who is going to write the lyrics? You hate to make a sweeping judgement off of only one song, but How Many Say I has me PRAYING that Eddie leaves the lyric writing to someone else.

And if Mikey is singing lead, who is going to sing those amazing background vocals that are such a signature of the Van Halen sound?

I'd be interested to hear it, but it doesn't excite me much!

Good topic for the Opinions/Speculation forum, keep it going over there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Glenn:
    Whether Dave returns, Sammy returns, they get a fourth singer, or if Mikey takes over the vocals, I want a new album of new material to kick it off.

Which leads to a huge problem if Mikey is going to be the frontman; who is going to write the lyrics? You hate to make a sweeping judgement off of only one song, but How Many Say I has me PRAYING that Eddie leaves the lyric writing to someone else.

And if Mikey is singing lead, who is going to sing those amazing background vocals that are such a signature of the Van Halen sound?

Good topic for the Opinions/Speculation forum, keep it going over there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Glenn:

Exactly! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Please don't let Ed ever get involved with lyrics. He whined about Amsterdam, then gives us How Many Say I and claims Sammy writes stupid lyrics? If Mikey were to be the frontman they still need a recording contract first.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As far as lyric writing goes, why not give Mikey a try. I am sure that over the past two decades he has jotted down a few ideas lyrically. Mike has always contributed greatly to the melodies and he could sing his own backup on the records - on the road they could hire some quality background singers to fill it in. I'm not saying this is the ideal solution, but it's pretty damn close.

I don't think they would have much problem getting a record contract, even if it is on Favored Nations or something like that. Getting a record contract is the LEAST of the bands many worries. I think getting a singer will be far more difficult than signing a record deal. Just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by GELLER:
    Right on Brother! Give the gig to Mike - he's the ultimate company man.

After seeing Roth the other night - call Sammy and if they can't resolve it give it to Mike.
    Amen. I saw the Hagar/Roth show a week ago in Dallas. Roth was HORRID. I wanted him to be great and would have settled for good, but he plain sucked.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not that this happens very much around here, but I have to say that Glenn is mistaken about something. Eddie did not write the lyrics to 'How Many Say I"; Gary wrote the lyrics. Upon reading them, Ed went to the piano and wrote the music on the spot.

As for Ed's lyrics, I believe it was "Without You' that featured a couple of verses and the chorus from Eddie's vast lyrical reservoir.

As for the topic, I would be sick if Mike ended up singing; his voice is very high-pitched and whiny. It works great for doing higher harmonies, but as lead vocalist, no thanks. Although few people would dare agree, his singing of "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" on the last tour was nothing more than a replacement for his bass solo. It was the contrast of hearing a different voice during the show that made it stand out, but if he were onstage singing for 2 hours, the audience would have ear fatigue by the third song.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    Glenn is mistaken about something. Eddie did not write the lyrics to 'How Many Say I"; Gary wrote the lyrics. Upon reading them, Ed went to the piano and wrote the music on the spot.

That's the last fuckin' time I help you out with a nickname!!!

Anyway, you're totally right, my mistake. And it seems to me that you and I have had this discussion before, so clearly my memory is on trial as well, and pleading guilty at that.

Just checked out an old Guitar World article from 98 and Eddie says about How Many Say I;

Gary handed me the lyrics about turning away from the homeless, changing the channel when you saw a starving child, knowing a truth and denying it, and it just hit me so fucking hard.
    Being a fan of Gary's, I have to say that How Many Say I is easily his worst lyric writing ever in my opinion.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think van halen going out as a trio would be a great idea, but i don't think that would happen.
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it seems kinda irrevelant as to whom may be the next singer in VH. as far as most of us are concerned, VH is no longer. i wish it would not have died having gary as it's final word.......that was plain awful.

the only possible shot at any VH (as we know it) is for roth to get back with them and do an expanded version of his currect act. i mean, the 19 song set he's doing now rivals just about any set of rock music that could be played today by any of the great rock bands who are still alive and performing - that would include zeppelin, the stones, whoever. if vh/roth did a 140 min. show with, say, 26 songs (a couple of roth solo tunes) it would have to the best set of live rock music EVER assembled. not even the beatles or elvis or zeppelin ever performed a set of music like the classic VH could still do today.

roth has shown he's still got what it takes to sing those songs. he's still got a good scream and physical he appears to be more like 32 than 47.

i just don't want EVH to do any more damage/tarnish the VH legacy by bringing in another lead singer. if he couldn't keep DLR or SH (two of the best he could have ever dreamed of) what exactly is he in search of????
    TX7081040

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by TX7081040:
    it seems kinda irrevelant as to whom may be the next singer in VH. as far as most of us are concerned, VH is no longer. i wish it would not have died having gary as it's final word.......that was plain awful.

the only possible shot at any VH (as we know it) is for roth to get back with them and do an expanded version of his currect act. i mean, the 19 song set he's doing now rivals just about any set of rock music that could be played today by any of the great rock bands who are still alive and performing - that would include zeppelin, the stones, whoever. if vh/roth did a 140 min. show with, say, 26 songs (a couple of roth solo tunes) it would have to the best set of live rock music EVER assembled. not even the beatles or elvis or zeppelin ever performed a set of music like the classic VH could still do today.

roth has shown he's still got what it takes to sing those songs. he's still got a good scream and physical he appears to be more like 32 than 47.

i just don't want EVH to do any more damage/tarnish the VH legacy by bringing in another lead singer. if he couldn't keep DLR or SH (two of the best he could have ever dreamed of) what exactly is he in search of????
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Exactly!!!
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it would be a good idea to have Mike be the lead singer. He has an excellent voice for back up, but not as a lead singer. If Dave returns (very unlikely ) then it would be cool to hear Mike sing a few Sammy era tunes and vice versa if Sammy comes back (also unlikely ).
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."