Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big egos

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading again the 1996 fiasco reports, it looks like every member of the band has a big ego. But I didn't think even Mike Anthony had a very big one.
    Quoting from his 1996 interview to the dutch magazine,
    "Well, you know Michael, the way I think of it: we can make any singer sound good. We're going to be known as the band that take any singer and make him famous. People tell me "everybody can sing with your band'. Eddie, Alex and myself, we're the core of Van Halen. People say "anybody can sing with you". "
    Seems like the band is now in the same position as then, even after the VHIII failure. Do you think even Mike has a very big ego or is he acting like "Ed and Alex" puppet?

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's probably what they thought back then. But after what happened with VHIII I think they may have been brought back down to earth with a bump. Let's hope they've learned their lesson!

------------------
    Leading the Slawterhouse Security on Holiday...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm convinced they all have HUGE egos. With Mike I honestly feel, he too timid to say anything for fear of being ousted by Van Halen brothers. He knows he has one of the greatest gigs a bass player can have, and he doesn't wanna blow it.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

Ed6150
    If I was Eddie Van Halen I think I would have a EGO , I mean he is the KING . For what he has accomplished as a guitar player , he deserves to have some EGO .

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I wonder (and wish I knew) how much of a difference it is being a famous person as opposed to being unknown. We all have different facets of our lives that require us to put on different masks and play different roles. So do rock stars. They have to put on a different mask to face an audience and then a different one off stage. Most of us juggle these things reasonably well, it's only when they start to bleed into each other that we get ourselves into trouble. I'm sure it's the same for famous people. The ego it takes to entertain 20 000 people would get you laughed at or ridiculed off the stage.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, I'll admit that if they thought they could make anyone famous as their singer back before 3 that they were somewhat justified.

Hell, how many bands can handle a dynamic lead singer leaving at the current height of their popular career only to have someone new come in and string together four number one albums and bring them even more popular acclaim?

Coming off of Balance and the sales of BOV1 from the two new Dave songs and the Sammy soundtrack song alone I know I'd get a bit cocky and assume anything myself and my two bandmates did had platinum written all over it.

------------------
    RIGHT NOW I'm livin' on the corner of Mean St. and Old Amsterdam Blvd.
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

[This message has been edited by Stuff No More (edited September 21, 2000 at 12:56 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Never discussing the band ability...
    But it seems that these days around the players don't receive what they deserve, and every attention is focused around the singer.
    Anyway, we're left with a great backing band (as there are lots of many others, maybe not as great or maybe even tighter, everyone is entitled to his opinion), that misses what is called "the best punch".
    Dave gave 'em, Sammy gave 'em in another form, Gary missed it (even if he tried hard to).
    Do you think they changed their mind now?

------------------
    Right Now How Many Say I Can't Get This Stuff No More - ddregs

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    I wonder (and wish I knew) how much of a difference it is being a famous person as opposed to being unknown. We all have different facets of our lives that require us to put on different masks and play different roles. So do rock stars. They have to put on a different mask to face an audience and then a different one off stage. Most of us juggle these things reasonably well, it's only when they start to bleed into each other that we get ourselves into trouble. I'm sure it's the same for famous people. The ego it takes to entertain 20 000 people would get you laughed at or ridiculed off the stage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really only saw the singers as having an ego on stage......sometimes in interviews
    the other members ego comes out (wear a cup)
    but I'd love to know the "real" being, sit down and have a heart to heart.......

------------------
    "Eddie Van Halen? That man could play a symphony with his ass hairs"-some old man

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Does Ed have an ego? Yep.

Al? Yep.

Mike? Yep. (IMO, the smallest of the egos. )

Dave? Dude... come on. LOL

[I'll leave out Sam and Gary, since they're not with us, anymore. ]

Ed, Al, Mike, and Dave are individual parts of the greatest band to ever roam the earth. How can there NOT be an ego in each, you know?

The "3" fiasco probably knocked VH on its ass. It should have, anyway.

There will definitely be a "group" ego when they get their shizzat together, only THIS time, it might be a wiser ego.

------------------
    "Fuck you. I give you my ass." - Rick S' dog, as interpreted by track 5

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

03.14.12 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

eddie's ego was in the way of making the proper van halen with gary during the recordingof vh3.Thats my side of the ego story. 3

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS

vh3fan aka the not so alone warrior
    " a good soldier is always prepared during the times of peace"

"loved by many hated by few"

"buying my way into 5150"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vh3fan:
    eddie's ego was in the way of making the proper van halen with gary during the recordingof vh3.Thats my side of the ego story. 3
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but if it weren't for Eddie's ego, Gary never would have been there in the first place

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

Red-Balled Mammoth
    I don't think any of us can say whether or not they have an ego. How many of you know them personally? I've read lots of interviews and they don't seem arrogant. But what do I know? Mike can't have an ego. It's not him.

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I once heard Mikey say, "we make any lead singer sound good."

But he said it tongue-in-cheek, and with a lot of laughter.

Though I'm sure he believed it - but probably not in an egotistical way.

Shoot, he has everyone reason to believe it now - seeing that he wasn't used to help Gary - and Gary fell flat on his face.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red-Balled Mammoth - Everybody who walks the face of this earth has an ego. Particularly in the high testosterone world of rock 'n roll. The question is how BIG! Some of us ego are more fragile than others. I think everyone assume just 'cause Ed is shy, quiet and introverted he doesn't have an ego. I don't care how grounded you are if your one of the greatest guitar players of all time, and people keep tellin' ya that, every now and then it's gonna go to your head.

------------------
    I'm the one who makes the tiger go 'way for ya, and I'm the one who brings 'im back out when ya least expect it!
    David Lee Roth, NBC's Friday Night Videos, 1985

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 04:27 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

EGO- Ed has a huge one and should he is one of the greatest guitar players the world has ever known.

altar-ego-Ed sucks as a songwriter if he doesen't have help and he is so out of touch as to what people want to hear he needs someone to help him-(not Gary)

Ego-Roth has a huge ego as well he should one of the greatest showmen in rock history,very clever lyric writer

altar-ego-Not good enough to be a huge hit on his own,in fact after initial run on first two solo albums,dare I say a flopped solo career

Ego-Sammy has a very huge ego and is entitled
    he has had a 27 year career that is still very sucessful,sucessful solo career and in two great bands.

Altar ego-not the main ingrediat in VH's success he thought he was,tends to overstate facts

Alex-Ego, great Rock drummer straight or sober,good businessman

altarego-reason for success has more to do with his little brother than his own talents

Mike-ego as part of Vh,thinks the 3 of them are the reason for success

Altarego-knows he is lucky as well as good. thats why he keeps his mouth shut.

------------------
    UP FRONT FANATICS 10-13-00