Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:
    The Message - (Sorry if you were expecting him to cover Grandmaster Flash) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called this one back when billy007 posted the song lineup in the UFF thread a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...000341-38.html

Great minds think alike.

(Just not politically, in this instance. LOL. )

------------------
    "Fuck you. I give you my ass." - Rick S' dog, as interpreted by track 5

Official Bartender Of VHLinks

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FORD's rating : ***1/2

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*grabs his chest and falls dead from a heart attack*

3.5 stars from FORD? Well that settles it, this has to be an outstanding album to get that much out of him, even with a couple of ballads on there

I do agree with FORD that Ten13 was kind of a weak song and the music could have been used better. I like it, don't get me wrong, it's just that when compared to the rest of the album, it seems more like Sammy forced it rather than letting it just come *shrugs*

Minor complain on an overall solid performance by the Red Rocker.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Overall, better than I expected after Red Voodoo, which was more a hippy rock party album than hard rock.

Shaka Doobie - Oddly enough, this reminds me of DLR's "Everybody's got the Monkey". Good song though. Could have fit on a Van Hagar album next to Humans Being.

Let Sally Drive - Is Sammy auditioning for Ac/Dc now? Back to the car lyrics but not as cheesy as "Trans Am".

Serious Juju - as I said before, "Salvation on Sand Hill, Part II". Not a bad lyric once you get past the "jive" and "juju" stuff.

The Message - Grungy guitar over a piano? Sammy trying to cut down the cheese factor on his ballads? Kind of a "son of Right Now"
    (Sorry if you were expecting him to cover Grandmaster Flash)

Deeper Kind Of Love - Well, he had to get cheesy at some point or it wouldn't be Sammy

Little Bit More - Putting the cheese ballads together makes it easier to skip over on the CD (or Winamp). Thanks, Sammy!

Ten 13 - Sammy sings Happy Birthday to himself. And what are we supposed to do with this song the other 364 days a year? Too bad he couldn't have put the music on this one to better use.

Protection - The lyrics almost stolen from a Robert Plant solo tune from the early 80's over a riff that reminds me of "Black and Blue".

3 in the middle - Temple of the Guave Worm? Samgarden? Was this recorded at Sub Pop? Actually this might be the best song on the album.

The Real Deal - Nice slide guitar work, but what the fuck was Sammy thinking, trying to sing like some old bluesman?? Ironically enough the lyric starts "This is who I am..." when it obviously not. Leave the blues singing to Dave, who is much more convincing.

Tropic of Capricorn - If you can't tell that this is "Take Me Back (Deja Vu) (part II)" you need to clean out the ear wax.

And as a final touch, our Red Rocker takes a bong hit and plays a goofy little tune on his ukelele (I think?)

Aside from the ballads, this is probably Sammy's hardest post Van Hagar album. I guess that's an improvement, but it's too bad he wastes a lot of that on silly things like birthday songs to himself, and redoing his own material with new lyrics.

FORD's rating : ***1/2

------------------
    F.O.R.D. Country

Van HALEN is: Dave, Eddie, Mikey, Alex. Any questions?

Eat Us And Smile!!

preaching the gospel of the one true Van HALEN for the redemption of a rock n roll world that's gone
    to boy band Hell.

[This message has been edited by FORD (edited October 04, 2000 at 12:21 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm with you , Stuff!

***1/2?

Think I'll start looking for the 8th seal...

------------------
    Up Front Fanatics!

"Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard
    "Politians speech is jive. He likes to keep her lie alive. And mass confusion, makes him strong...Serious JuJu!" -Sammy 10/13
    "They'll find a cure, for anything. Just kill the pain! Numb my brain!" -Sammy, OU812
    "Winner takes it all, 'Till he breaks the fall, In time he'll make it over the top! -Sammy, Over The Top
    Check-out the latest news on Sammy! Click!: www.shnewsdesk.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tropic of Capricorn - If you can't tell that this is "Take Me Back (Deja Vu) (part II)" you need to clean out the ear wax.

And as a final touch, our Red Rocker takes a bong hit and plays a goofy little tune on his ukelele (I think?)

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I heard that this last "hidden track" was going to be called "Maui Waui".

Well, I went to Hawaii in August of this year, and let me tell you it does sound Hawaiian (on a ukelele)

Jerel's Rating: ****

------------------
    Webmaster of The Van Halen Vault!
    Listen to VHvault.com's L.S.D. & Tribute Radio and WIN Free CD's!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh my god 3.5 stars!!

------------------
    " When my time on Earth is gone and my activities here are past, I want they bury me upside down and my critics can kiss my ass" Bobby Knight

Loons
    Is this album bein' released on 10/13? Cuz I want to do some skeet shooting and I'm all out of skeets!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

You would be probably be better off using you DLR solo discs first (minus EEAS and Skyscraper) because the crap that flies out of them when you shoot them is far greater then anything that would come from the worst Sammy album

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

11.21.15 @ 12:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is that ***1/2 out of ten?

------------------
    "Layin' the cut straight sittin' on my ass, gettin' my drink on and my snack on, chillin' wit a flat spliff..."

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

09.26.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tropic of Capricorn - If you can't tell that this is "Take Me Back (Deja Vu) (part II)" you need to clean out the ear wax<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just cleaned my ears and I still don't think that ToC sounds like Take Me Back. It's a great song IMO, and I also would never skip over the ballads, because they ain't cheesy at all.

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FORD - you have an interesting fascination with Sammy.

I wish I could have seen your face when you first heard he was joining Van Halen.

You know how when you own a pair of pants for like 2 years, and one day you notice a belt loop that you never saw before? And then you realize, you've been walking around for 2 years having missed that loop? And nobody had the courtesy to tell you?

And you make a face of wonder. And try to figure out how many good looking chicks may have seen you this way for 2 years.

Oh never mind.

Loons
    Translation,Dolph Lundgren?

And how old is Sambo,113?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loons:

And how old is Sambo,113?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man, if Sammy is 113, I'm even more impressed with this album.

Anyway, I've given this a couple of days, and here's my review of the new Sammy album.

1. Shaka Doobie-I really didn't care for the live version of this song that was floating around a few months ago, but I like this version. Good song, but the laser thing in the background during the chorus is annoying.

2. Let Sally Drive is a really good song, probably one of the best songs on the album. Having said that, I don't like the vocal part "five speed, four 11's, drink gas, full blown nitrous"; that just doesn't work at all for me.

3. I thought Serious JuJu was a decent song when it was a single, but something about it's placement on the album makes it sound even better to me.

4. The Message is another really good song, the piano reminds me of Right Now. I really like the drums during the chorus.

5. Deeper Kind of Love is a cool ballad, I love when is slows down at about 40 seconds and then comes back in again.

6. A Little Bit More is a song that really connects with me. This is one of those songs that I always think I'll listen to if I ever decide to start drinking and become an alcoholic.

7. Ten 13 is okay, nothing special at all. I guess there's at least one night a year that I'd listen to this song.

8. Protection is a bad song, the intro reminds me of Dancing With Mr. D by the Rolling Stones. This is easily the worst song on the album in my opinion.

9. 3 in the Middle is another average song. Sammy seems to be trying to hard to sound angry.

10. The Real Deal. Sammy sounds like such a phony on the intro. And I'm not a big fan of the cow bell. Another weak song.

11. Tropic of Capricorn is awesome, easily my favorite song on this album. Damn, this is a great feel good song, I definitely have to listen to this one in the car.

Sammy smoking the joint before the hidden song comes off really pathetic to me. Okay Dad, you're a cool old man, I get it.

Bottom line, I like it, it's not as good as Marching to Mars but it's way better than Red Voodoo.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure what my point was.

FORD just cracks me up.

He could probably analyze a fart.

I get the feeling that while we're all in a bathroom stall just taking a dump, he's pondering the deeper meaning of it.

Which is a compliment by the way.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's how I would rank each song from best to worst:

3 In The Middle
    Let Sally Drive
    Shaka Doobie (The Limit)
    Ten 13
    The Message
    Serious JuJu