Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a couple of the remasters the other day, VH I and VH II. I don't find them all that great really, only difference I find is the recordings are louder, which is an improvement, however what I think is needed is a total and complete remixing. The 'guitar on one side bass on the other' in my view just doesn't cut it. As compared to later recordings such as 'Balance' the sound so far superior and much fuller. It is easy to tell the early albums were recorded and mixed within weeks.

As I said, is only my opinion, but remasters are a scam by record companies. Want the volume levels higher just download yourself an audio editing program and boost em up yourself. To due the early recordings justice remix and bring the overall quality up to todays standards, otherwise don't jerk people off with money scamming scemes!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member
    I found the remasters worth the bucks, the music was not only "louder" but "fuller" as well. And don't forget the original artwork, which alot of people haven't seen unless they have the LP's.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some need remastering more than the others.

I thought II and DD needed it the most, then WACF and FW, and I & 1984 hardly needed it.

At the end of H4T on the original CD, you can hear Dave's little "whoa!" On the remaster, it's nowhere to be found.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I'm all for puttin' Mikey on one side and Ed on the other.

hell, there are some Beatles songs where Ringo is coming out just one of the speakers.
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some Remasters are better than others.

Diver Down is far richer in its sound than the original CD release was. IMHO, that album was probably the best done of the six.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    DD & VH2 are essential purchases as remasters, the others are more a personal taste thing i think.

VH2 in particular I think benefitted from remastering, lot less 'muddy' sounding

[ September 20, 2002, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike's bass is mixed in the center. Sometimes Templeman used Alex's cymbals opposite Ed's guitar, plus plenty of guitar echo in the opposite channel.

The remasters add much more clarity, or definition, to the individual instruments. A lot more separation also.

The original Van Halen CDs were mastered from LP masters, while the new CDs are straight from the original master.

Because LPs have limited dynamic range and separation, a separate master is prepared for their production. Lots of compression tighten the dynamic range around the LP limited range, and the stereo image is reduced from 9 oclock and 3 oclock on the board to 9 and 2 approximatly, at least that's how it sounds.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NE169,

At the end of H4T on the original CD, you can hear Dave's little "whoa!" On the remaster, it's nowhere to be found.
    IMO, this was an Eddie decision. He obviously has this crazy obsession with things he never wanted included in certain songs in the first place, and projects like the Remasters series afford him the opportunity to alter the past.

Next thing you know, you'll be hearing altered lyrics to songs like "Amsterdam" when the Sammy-era remasters hit the shelves...

...not that any of those albums will ever need to be remastered for *sound quality*, but you gotta believe Ed will "find a reason..."

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Originally posted by famac@nuveen.com:
    Sometimes Templeman used Alex's cymbals opposite Ed's guitar, plus plenty of guitar echo in the opposite channel.
    Actually ALL drums are mixed that way. Drums are mixed as if you are listening to the song from behind the kit (I've heard the other way to do it is if you imagine being in front of the kit). There are cymbals on Ed's side, when Al used crashes on the left side of his kit. When he used cymbals on the right side, they were on the right channel. Same goes for the snare (on the left more than right), and all the toms are panned accordingly as well.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Black Knight:
    I bought a couple of the remasters the other day, VH I and VH II. I don't find them all that great really, only difference I find is the recordings are louder, which is an improvement, however what I think is needed is a total and complete remixing. The 'guitar on one side bass on the other' in my view just doesn't cut it. As compared to later recordings such as 'Balance' the sound so far superior and much fuller. It is easy to tell the early albums were recorded and mixed within weeks.

As I said, is only my opinion, but remasters are a scam by record companies. Want the volume levels higher just download yourself an audio editing program and boost em up yourself. To due the early recordings justice remix and bring the overall quality up to todays standards, otherwise don't jerk people off with money scamming scemes!
    Black Night, I think most of the so called remasters are exactly what you said. I feel the same about the LZ remasters. It's a scam to make more money. There is a remastering technique that comes out of Japan which is supposed to be excellent. Not sure what it's called, there not gold discs but something like CD records. A friend of mine gets them when they are available from CDNow or off of Ebay. Not sure if they ever did any VH remasters with this Japanese process.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by therealdeal:
    ...not that any of those albums will ever need to be remastered for *sound quality*
    OU812 needs some serious work done on it to bring it up to par - even with the original CD releases of the other albums. 5150 could use some tweaking, but nowhere near as much work as OU812. Carnal Knowledge doesn't really need much help, and Balance is impeccable as is.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.27.09 @ 02:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[quote]Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    Carnal Knowledge doesn't really need much help, and Balance is impeccable as is.
    They could "remaster" that lousy piece of crap "strungout" out of existence!

I suppose they could do that by just sticking a noise gate on the damn thing

On the remaster of "Take your whisky home" the word "home" is cut out really badly. Why?!?!?
    It'll all end in beers...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.12 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah VH II and Diver Down are definitely upgrades over their previous versions, and OU812 and 5150 need touched up. Hell, they might as well completely remix VH III while there at it. By the way, what is up with the gold covered discs???? Maybe it's just me but I always liked it when they had the track listing somewhere on the cd...
    Always one more,
    You're never satisfied.
    Never one for all with you,
    It's only one for me

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

TDR,

Regarding "Whiskey (not) Home", see my post above.

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'd love a remix of OU812. I must find out if there actually is bass on that album.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel