Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance, 1984, VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, I'll Wait
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 56 Times in 18 Posts

I actually think it'd be kinda neat. I love Dave; always have, always will. I wish he could re-unite with VH more than anything, but I honestly can say that I really liked the direction that Sam and VH were heading with the Balance/Twister stuff. They had more of an edge with Balance, a little more darkness to the music and I totally dug it. Balance had a lot of filler on it, but the actual songs were great. Am I alone in thinking this?
    "And now for the benediction..."
    - DLR (Blossom 5/29/02)

"It's a great day for Hockey."
    - "Badger" Bob Johnson

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

No you're not alone, I like Van Halen the best with Sammy!

I'm moving this topic to Opinions/Speculation
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yikes! I've heard the same theories, but the details I heard were much different.

VH wrote a song with Sammy called "Backdoor Shuffle" during the Balance sessions that they didn't use. When Dave rejoined the band in '96 they used the riff for "Backdoor Shuffle" in "Can't Get This Stuff No More". Not only did they use the riff, but the vocal melody for the chorus section of "Backdoor Shuffle" was used in CGTSNM (with Dave's lyrics). Sammy heard that melody and called up Ray Daniels and noted that they were using music he wrote. Ray Daniels then sent a check for $30K to Sammy to prevent a lawsuit.

I've never heard that MWM and CGTSNM were written with Glen Ballard and Desmond Child. Eddie wanted to have those guys write a song for Dave to sing, but Dave would only sing a song he wrote. Thus those two songs should have the same songwriting credits as all the old VH originals do: Eddie, Alex, Mike, and Dave.

IMO, Me Wise Magic is a great song, while CGTSNM is a fair song. I think those two songs destroyed the myth that DLR reuniting with VH would write songs that would blow Sammy era music out of the water. They certainly didn't do that.....

As far as Eddie writing songs that force singers into higher registers, I don't buy that at all.I believe Eddie tuned down for MWM and CGTSNM just like he always did during the Dave era. Also, songs like "Good Enough" and "Don't Tell Me" are also tuned down. Sammy and Gary made use of the higher registers because they are capable of doing so. I don't know why Dave tried to sing in those registers, but he wasn't "forced" to by Eddie writing in a different manner. At best, Eddie asked hime to sing that way as he was used to Sammy's style. Eddie's songwriting style hasn't changed much over the years. (Listen to "Unchained," "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)," and "Ballot or the Bullet" and tell me that his style has changed....come on people.....)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oops! This was meant for the section talking about the two '96 Roth songs.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

11.14.12 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave-era VH is awesome and would likely continue to be. But I also agree with you about the darker turn they had with Sam on the better tracks on Balance and w/Humans Being. As someone said elsewhere, what must "Between Us Two" be like if it's as good as Sam says!!

Fair Warning was plenty dark and is my favorite album, so far (ya gotta hope). And I've read all about how Ed was more depressed creatively while writing that music than for any other record, and there's little doubt that frustrations with Roth fueled a lot of it. Even so, some people think if that's what it takes to get Fair Warning quality music, too bad for Ed. Problem is, Ed likes for everybody to get along, compared to Roth who's said many times that he likes to stir things up and keep the conflict going because it gives the music an edge.

I just think Ed doesn't want or need the strife - in the studio or on the road. Sam fits Ed's temperment, now and probably til VH hangs it up. And the songs on Balance and HB say enough to me about the edge that VH with Sam could have.