Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F. U. C. K.
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Eddie, My name is Donn Swaby. I am an actor/musician living and working in the Los Angeles area for three years now. Most people know me as Chad Harris, a character I played on the NBC soap opera PASSIONS for three years up until last August. I first want to thank you for all the music and inspiration you have given me. I fell in love with your music and playing the guitar at the age of fifteen. As for the last year of yourlife... I can't even begin to imagine all that you have gone through. A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer in his hand two years ago and he, along with his wife (my former co-worker) and child, were very scared, but hopeful that everything was going to turn out okay. He had surgery the day of my birthday. He's in remission now, as are you. But again, I can't imagine the pain, both physical and emotional, that you went through. On top of that, I am sorry to hear about you and Valerie splitting up. Wether it was for the best or not, only you two know that. But I am most certain that it has not been easy on either of you or your son. My heart goes out to all of you. I have read many fan comments on different sites and there is so much talk about "Who will sing in the next reincarnation of Van Halen?" and " Will Dave or Sammy come back?" or "Why isn't Van Halen making any music?" Some poeple sound very angry at you and the band. I go to the Van Halen News Desk every once and a while and I do understand some of their frustration; they are people who are missing their favorite band. However, when suppossedly responsible people from VHND state that "nothing" has happened in the life of Eddie Van Halen I am appalled. This was probably one of the most traumatic years of your life. You have gone through hell in a way that most of us won't ever have to experience. Considering all that has happened to you recently, I can more than understand if reforming the band is not your first priority. I wish more of your fans would do the same. Lastly,as a longtime fan, my wish for you, Mr. Edward Van Halen, a gift to the world through the music you play... my one wish for you is simple: I WANT EDWARD VAN HALEN TO BE HAPPY. Happy... whatever that word means to you. I'm not worried about the music; the music will eventually come. I want you to find your happiness again. And I know that I am not the only person who wishes that for you. As well as the millions of fans out there, I know you have family and friends who wish you the same. Even ex-friends... I can't help but share this with you... in a recent interview in a music magazine, the name of which unfortunately escapes me now, Sammy Hagar was asked about lyrics of a new song on his recent new CD with the Waboritas. In the song, he mentions "a friend who has a lot of money, but has no sense of humor" and is basically not happy. The interviewer asked if he was referring to you. He said it was most likely. He went on further to say that he would never rule out the possibility of making music with you again, but that could only happen if you both dropped the grudges and came together again as human beings IN THE SPIRIT OF FORGIVENESS. See Eddie, the big picture is this: all the bullshit that went down in '97 was just that: trivial bullshit. The truth to me seems that wether its your former lead singer or one of your fans posting you a long letter on a message board, people just want you to be happy, man. We don't care what you do to be happy, just do it... not just for your family but most importantly, for yourself. Life is too short and you know that better than anyone. I hope you ar reading this; know that I and all the other millions of fans are sending you our thoughts, love, and prayers. stay well and we'll see you out there in the world again some day. Take care until then. Peace. Sincerely, Donn Swaby

Banned!
    Last Online

07.15.07 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow...you were on Passions? Can you hook me up with Mary Elizabeth Winstead? She's one hot little mama. LOL

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

very cool bro.... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, 5150 & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street & "5150"
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same thoughts here. Very honest. I agree, Eddie's REAL LIFE comes first and hatchets should be buried for everyone's sake. I hope he sees that too. I'm glad you care so much. Now, That's a TRUE fan! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "I'm still 16 inside. I still have that passion, and any true musician doesn't do it for any other reason than passion. My motivation has never been financial. Music is what I do. It's the only thing I know how to do." -EVH

"Marriage has 3 rings. The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffering"-DLR

"I believe that every one on this planet is born with a gift, and I was just lucky enough to find mine. So I'm very blessed, and very grateful."-EVH

Tequila~The drink of champions

http://www.myspace.com/tequilatemptress

Charitable Donations for the Myelin Project

http://www.networkforgood.org/pca/Pe...x?pcaid=104318

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Running With the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will say this-- Edward has had his troubles yes, but that isn't any excuse to just give up the music he believes in or his friends and fans within it. Yeah, shit happens, big deal. Everyone has their problems. I lost my dad in '92, my wife has had 3 (count'em THREE) open heart surgeries since '94, and I had a truck crash and spent the next 8 months out of commission in '98. It's finally starting to smooth out, the doctors' bills are caught up, everyone is in better health, my business is still flourishing, and life goes on.

My business, my sense of humor, and my future goals never faltered during ANY of that shit, yeah admittedly some days sucked more than others, but if you don't have purposeful goals and dreams and love of life itself, give it up! Ed's music has always been his love, you can tell that every time he plays. For some reason tho he is running away and playing hermit, basically the best thing IMHO any of his friends could do at this point (are you listening Al, Mike, and Sammy??) would be to go over, kick him in the ass, and tell him to quit feeling sorry for himself and get on with life while it is still available! Good old fashioned rock and roll is one of the best medicines I know of.

You hear all of the bullshit speculation about him drinking, and if so, hey, that's his choice. But I don't feel it will help the cause to be honest, or ever help him find whatever it is he is looking for. My two cents there.

I sincerely wish him well, and hope he can come to grips with whatever it is that is troubling him and can realize that others in this world go through at least as much as he has and some even more, and shit like that is no reason to just give up or stop doing what you love to do. Pick up your guitar, bury the hatchet with those you have had problems with, and get back into it. Man, you'll feel alot better if you do. Just another concerned fan.......... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member
    ed- the music makes you happy- i saw you front row in 96- your smile as you played was awesome-
    ed pick up the guitar and do what makes you happy
    ---you are the best
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

1st, does anyone know an email addy that eddie reads or receives?
    2nd, that's a great letter and i see the logic as well.
    i'd like to add myself to the list of concerned fans. Of course i want more music, but i'd rather haveto live with only what's been released to date AND have edward happy in his life instead of eddie being depressed and putting out music.
    i know that may sound contradictory, but think of your own life. isn't health and happiness of you and your family the really only important things?
    that is, if you dont have that, what is the point of everything else?

Is there any way we can put together a huge letter from all who want to participate and get it to ed? Where there's a will, there's a way...who can give the first lead on getting a letter to ed from his fans? who can stand up and be heard?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by overmyhead:
    However, when suppossedly responsible people from VHND state that "nothing" has happened in the life of Eddie Van Halen I am appalled.
    I touched on this earlier today in Main. I'm not even sure exactly what article you're referencing, though I'm assuming that it's the December 17th one written by Grant. For the record, he stated that "Van Halen did nothing", so clearly he was speaking of the band as a musical entity, not Eddie specifically.

Grant is a VH fan who came off to me as someone who is frustrated with the VH situation. I don't see what's wrong with that. Or how it could be worthy of the thinly veiled suggestion that he is irresponsible. Again, I can only assume his words come from a place of a fan, someone who wants to hear new music not because they're selfish or irresponsible, but simply because the band means something to them and they love it.

Anyway, I don't know Grant or speak for him, but I'm getting a bit tired of the notion that wanting to hear new music makes you some kind of selfish prick.

People love Eddie's music, and part of that will always be the hope that he puts out more. When did that become a bad thing?

You have gone through hell in a way that most of us won't ever have to experience.
    Really?? Ever?? You been sipping from the fountain of youth?? I've been lucky enough to have pretty good health thusfar, but I'm sure we all know people who are half Eddie's age who have experienced that same kind of 'hell' Ed did!

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Donn, welcome aboard. Great post but I feel Van Halen is forever done. Ed is burned out and slippin'. Anyways, off the subject, how's Chrystee doing?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Nice sentiments Donn and welcome to the Links. I see where you're coming from man but I also agree with Glenn's response to your post. I don't think it's selfish for the fans to want new music from the band, I think that's a natural reaction when you're a passionate and dedicated supporter. Their is no doubt that Ed has been through a shit load the past couple of years and I don't think anyone that frequents the Links would put new music ahead of the mans personal and physical well being.
    The frustration stems from the fact that their has been no closure with the band, we've had faint vibes suggesting new music in the not too distant future ie-Ed's comments at the official site and Mike's suggestions that the band isn't over. The reality of the situation might lie somewhere in the middle, with EVH trying to reform the band at some point but having no idea as to when it might happen. The guy is in a no win situation, 4th singer will more than likely be a commercial disappointment and a tremendous let down to most fans who have been waiting for new music since 99. Reforming with Cherone doesn't seem very likely considering the disappointment of 3 and a Roth reunion has been tried on numerous occasions and doesn't seem any more likely now. That leaves only one viable option-the return of the Red Rocker. These guys were great friends and had a great chemistry together and I don't know why they couldn't go down that road again. If Ray Danniels had never entered the picture, chances are Sammy would still be in the band. Just the fact alone that Mike Anthony was touring with him last year should point to a possible Van Hagar reunion but I guess only time will tell. Being as dedicated a fan as I have been it is my sincere hope that the band chooses to go out on a high note and will one day get their stuff together no matter who's doing the lead singing. It's been 25 years since they released one of the best albums in the history of rock music and these guys should be kicking ass 25 yrs. later and not sitting on the sidelines. Ed we miss you and we want you back, whenever you're ready bros.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

HOT FOR TEACHER
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bullsh-t bullsh-t EVH DOSEN'T OWE ANYONE ANYTHING HE GAVE IT ALL FOR 20 YEARS AND NOW HE MADE HIS CHOICE. NOTHING YOU OR I SAY WILL MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE HE HAS TO MAKE CHANGE AND HE WILL NOT. HOW MUCH CAN ONE GIVE BEFORE THERE IS NOTHING LEFT, HE HAS REACHED THE END OF THE STORY. AS WE WAVE GOOD-BY, SMILE AND SAY THANK YOU. WE WILL REMEMBER THE GOOD TIMES AND PAY NO ATTENTION TO SHELL THAT REMAINS. THE CHOICE HAS BEEN MADE. WHAT A WASTE! IF I COULD HAVE 6 MONTHS WITH THIS GUY HE WOULD SEE CLEARLY AGAIN AND NOT FOR ANYONE BUT HIMSELF.

GOOD-BY EVH AND THANKS!

b-weiser

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.31.13 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Problem is he never said goodbye (no pun intended) hence no closesure.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

b-weiser,
    boy you are the kind of person that gets my anger going. i know, it's your opinion, but what a freakin' downer!

eddie isn't finished until he's dead.
    if you haven't noticed, music is his life,his love and his soul. that doesn't just go away. he loves it too much. maybe he'll never release anything, but he's nowhere near done, even if he spends his days playing nursery rhymes on his axe.
    i'd pay to hear eddie jammin' that anytime!
    from me to you, b-weiser, go find michael jackson and crawl in bed w/ him-he can be your star!
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Baluchitherium VanHalenMetallica's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1,Balance,FW,1984,FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Not a big Van Halen 3 fan
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a fan,i admire your sentitments [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The question is not, "Does love exist?"
    But when she leaves, where she goes?
    I got the feelin' she don't know either