Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I've read a lot of posts in which people claim (especially after the recent TV special) that DLR is a "nutcase", "makes crackheads look good" or that he lives in his own world or has lost his mind.

For those of us who live in countries that generally don't care about VH, all we can go by is your posts and other snippets we find on the internet.

I was hoping for some objective examples of DLR's poor state of mind or mental well being. In all of the interviews I've read with him, he has always sounded quite sharp, witty and intelligent.

What makes people say that he's lost the plot?

Starting this topic is risky I know. I don't want it to become a Dave bashing-thread that will inevitably lead to "at least Dave doesn't do (such and such) like Sammy..." replies.

If you'd be good enough to respond, I'm interested in examples of why people say that DLR has become a nutcase.

Thanks!
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not so much what he says as the way he says it.

No, on second thought, it's not even that. It's the whole package. His actions, his words, his look, the people he keeps company with.

As far as what he does say... Roth is kinda like a stand-up comedian. He has certain lines that he has used over and over again for decades.

I'm totally serious when I say that I think DLR has some sort of problem. I think he needs to be on some sort of medication. There is no doubt that he has the capacity to be smart. He just doesn't seem to be able to actually tap into that side of himself.

That would seem appearant just from his career moves, quotes, and his "no holds bbq" video.

Let's just put it this way. Roth has wanted to get back into VH for years. He had a chance and still, still can't get along well enough to get it done.

Eddie knows that the public wants this reunion. He invited DLR in. They recorded new tunes. Those who have heard the tunes say they are great. Yet the thought of life with Roth is enough for Eddie, Al and Mike to blow off several million dollars that could have been made.

That alone shows how fucked up Roth must be.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Shumway,

It's difficult to put into words, but let me try an analogy:

DLR is like the guy you see at your 20 year high school reunion who used to be the coolest SOB on the planet. He was good looking, drove the best car, got all the chicks, etc. Now, you see him from across the room 20 years later. He is reasonably in shape but is quite obviously living in the past - all he talks about is how he scored the winning touchdown against the crosstown rival and how he dated this cheerleader way back when. It's pathetic to see how he is living his life in the past when everyone else has moved on.

Listen to the Bruce Springsteen song, "Glory Days". That'll give you a good idea. Dave just hasn't moved on since 1985 - he really believes that he could jump right back into Van Halen and make that dysfunctional group a success. His rambling and non-sensical interviews we used to think as "glib" and "charming" are now just sad. Everyone needs to grow up - someday, Dave will figure that out.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow. both of you hit the nail on the head.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all David Lee Roth is about the most intelligent, and witty entertainer thier is. He almost became a doctor, but the Music bug bit him. Remember Dave has a lot of interests i.e. music, travel, excersize, martial arts, he speaks different languages, and he is very well read to name a few.
    Second, most of us maybe have one hobby, one job, and don't travel much. I feel Dave has no one he can relate with that is on his playing level. Saying this, I feel he is misunderstood by people who don't get it, and since people are ignorant to many things, and only know thier world they shy away and dis him. Travel some, party some, read a couple of books, go to a different cultural part of town once in a while, and you might see things differently when it comes to DLR. later.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Yea, the whole TV show thing was blown out of proportion. We really only heard Sam's side regarding the tour, and Dave is an egolomaniac. I didn't really think anything was too different from Dave's perspective, and I think the brothers were full of shit in that Dave was getting pissy at MTV in the mid-90's saying it was about him that night. I just don't buy it. Sam did come out sounding like a puss, but I still like him about as much as Dave. Just an opinion. Let the flames begin [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

If you didn't get it in the day you certainly won't get it now. Dave is Dave. You are here talking about him because of who and what he is. The off the hook original frontman of Van Halen. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.10.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's interesting to see how people are reacting to this. It seems that this was a wake up call to alot of folks, myself included.

I have to admit feeling a little ill now that I find myself on the other side of the DLR/Sammy fence. I never thought the day would come where I would rather see Sammy fronting VH over Dave. But if you put DLR back in front you are just a year away from the band hitting the state fair circut.

But Dave as the "greatest" frontman at this time? Not anymore. He was. No doubt about it, in his day no one could touch him. But now, it's like watching an Elvis impersonator. He may have the moves, the talk and the suit, but it's not the same.

And in a final note, to all those who still worship at the alter of Dave, God bless you all. It's nice to know someone will always be there to buy things like DLR's "No Holds BBQ". It may be just enough to keep him from becoming a homeless nutcase wandering the streets of a town near you.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Me Wise Magic, a
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

remember that dlr has ADD (attention defiscite (sp) disorder)

that will have a contributing factor
    A little zen, headed you way...<br />Formally Ignorance_Is_Bliss

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He say's the same things over and over in every interview. The MTV2 interview was a carbon copy of the Carson Daley interview. He's so scripted all the time. Also if you herd some of the psycho rants that came out of him on Howard Stern you think he was coming unwrapped. I think he lives in a world all his own. How many times can he go on a show and muter the phrase"Right in front of you naked steaming eyes?" I hear Sammy repeating himself in some interviews but he's definitely genuine and talks coherently. Roth is out there..way out.

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think Dave is very intelligent and very well read, but even more high strung, and can't even imagine what it was like for him recalling the stories that wound up being Crazy From the Heat, but even moreso, I think he even did some of the book in audio, in a very steady, storytelling style, I think this was at the old slawterhouse site before it went down. If he does indeed have the ADD, I imagine the reading and tpaing alone of those chapters were a trip to say the least.

We get alot more info these days than back in the VH/DLR hey day, and who's to say Dave wouldn't have been to the point of recycling his interview material much quicker then if he had to do an interview every week or so to promote something, other than the rare times Circus and Creem could snag some quotes, RS might get an interview every few years then, if someone was big. Now, they feature the hottest stars almost every other week.

Oversaturation in the promotion of the Sam and Dave tour, could be the problem. Better maybe to do one big interview for all the papers, than to do near similar ones for many different ones, then it doesn't look like an act. But is it all an act? I think Dave would rather we never know for sure. I sometimes wonder if even the inner circle of guys on his tour get to see the real deal. I talked to his bus driver this tour, and he said Dave likes to keep a bus he's toured on for a few summers because it has cool windows up front that let the breeze blow through while they rip down the road.

I can see the cat with his ball cap on, curled up on a couch, just like anyone of the rest of us, letting that wind blow through, reading a book, watching a movie, whatever, next stop, boom, he turns it on the minute he walks off the bus and meets a crowd. It might get old if that is the real case, and could lead to a slightly altered state of mind over time.

Then again he might be bouncing from one end of that tube to the other like a freakin' pinball, the whole trip. I saw him one morning after he did a show the night before, and he was nice enough, but tired, and not in Diamond Dave mode, but as soon as walked out the front of the hotel, a guy out there said he started it up, so who knows? All I know is it sucks that this is what the discussion of the Mighty VH has come to.
    I never thought I'd see the fucking day.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

dave can be a bright guy, brilliant depending on how you look at it, but he's also an ass.

what languages does he speak?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:24 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    dave can be a bright guy, brilliant depending on how you look at it, but he's also an ass.

what languages does he speak?

JMJ
    I know for sure that he's learning Spanish and I think he speaks other languages too, but I couldn't tell you which ones.
    "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, maybe this is the reason why Dave never found anyone he wanted to marry. Granted, all the current/former members of VH have had ups and downs with their relationships, but they made the attempt - Roth never did.

It seems to me like there are two distinctly different "people" we're dealing with. There is David Lee Roth, and there's Diamond Dave. DD is the front, the shield Roth wears in public. He's the cool guy, the wild one with his own ideas, the guy that everyone wanted to be. But usually, deep down inside, there's someone who is insecure about themselves and afraid of being hurt. They build the wall of a persona up so solid that no one gets to know the real them. It makes it look like their life is this big party, but they're usually depressed.

The one person who probably knows Dave the best is Eddie. Who knows, maybe Eddie even LIKES being with Dave. But Diamond Dave has been around so long that he's swallowed Dave up around people, and it's obvious that Eddie can't stand DD.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Diamond Dave (yells in growling, echoing voice): "....pay no attention to the intelligent, cultured, curious, sensitive, heroic, yet insecure David Lee Roth behind the curtain.....pay no attention to the man hiding behind the curtain!!!....Look at me, up here, Diamond Dave, Son of Satan, Master of All Things Ceremonial!!! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!! I'm trying to pay the bills people! Boozel de boozel de boozel de BOP!...Diddily Bop!!..."

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    As many people have said before, the problem with truly understanding David Lee Roth is that he's always "on", meaning he's always doing his Diamond Dave act. You rarely get a glimpse of what lies beneath. And you probably never will.