Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since the beginning of Rock Music (not Rock n' Roll, but stuff that acutally ROCKS!) There have been two kinds of lead singers. The ones who can sing, and the ones who can carry a tune, but don't have great voices. Let's take a look at each:

Can carry a tune, but...: Ozzy Osbourn/Steven Tyler/Dave Mustain/Lemmy/Stephen Pearcy/James Hetfield/Vince Neil/Mick Jagger/Jeff Keith/Roger Daltry/Mark Slaughter/Joe Elliot/Bonn Scott/Brian Johnson/Axl Rose/David Lee Roth...the list goes on. Even if you don't like these guys, you've probably heard of them, and their bands, for the most part, have been very successful.

Can sing: Steve Perry/Sammy Hagar/Gary Cherone/the guy from Stryper/Mike Matijavik/Brad Delp/Jon Bon Jovi/Kip Winger/Nelson/many of the hair band singers/etc. You've heard of most of these guys, but with the exceptions of Perry, Hagar, and Bon Jovi, none of them had huge success that was sustained for more than a couple of years, and most of them aren't as cool as those in the first list.

Why are they, on average, more successful and cool than the others? Because they became big WITHOUT a great singing voice. They did it with attitude and stage presence, and a unique singing voice which became identified with the band. Yeah, some of the good singers have unique voices, and they're the ones with sustained popularity and success. Rock isn't about a great voice, it's about uniqueness, attitude, entertainment, etc. That's what Dave has, that's why he should once again be lead singer of the mighty Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] nahhh....

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know that a singing voice really has that much to do with it. Okay, on one level, you have to get someone with clout in the biz to want to sign you, and if you represent something radical and greatly different from the current popular trend, if an exec doesn't like what he hears from a singer, it has to be hard to get a deal. But at the same time, once a band breaks big, a lot of "me too" bands are signed as well, regardless of whether they have a total package or not. Can you really fault a hairband singer if the package he was with didn't have what it takes to maintain popular appeal?

What makes a band continually successful is being able to inspire the audience to want to support you. To, "Leave them wanting more," so to speak. Whether you do that with a great stage presence or talent that demands respect is up to the abilities of the singer.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

On Fire
    Last Online

10.28.09 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by jonjuan:
    Since the beginning of Rock Music (not Rock n' Roll, but stuff that acutally ROCKS!) There have been two kinds of lead singers. The ones who can sing, and the ones who can carry a tune, but don't have great voices. Let's take a look at each:

Can carry a tune, but...: Ozzy Osbourn/Steven Tyler/Dave Mustain/Lemmy/Stephen Pearcy/James Hetfield/Vince Neil/Mick Jagger/Jeff Keith/Roger Daltry/Mark Slaughter/Joe Elliot/Bonn Scott/Brian Johnson/Axl Rose/David Lee Roth...the list goes on. Even if you don't like these guys, you've probably heard of them, and their bands, for the most part, have been very successful.

Can sing: Steve Perry/Sammy Hagar/Gary Cherone/the guy from Stryper/Mike Matijavik/Brad Delp/Jon Bon Jovi/Kip Winger/Nelson/many of the hair band singers/etc. You've heard of most of these guys, but with the exceptions of Perry, Hagar, and Bon Jovi, none of them had huge success that was sustained for more than a couple of years, and most of them aren't as cool as those in the first list.

Why are they, on average, more successful and cool than the others? Because they became big WITHOUT a great singing voice. They did it with attitude and stage presence, and a unique singing voice which became identified with the band. Yeah, some of the good singers have unique voices, and they're the ones with sustained popularity and success. Rock isn't about a great voice, it's about uniqueness, attitude, entertainment, etc. That's what Dave has, that's why he should once again be lead singer of the mighty Van Halen.
    I'd say Steven Tyler belongs to the second category.

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

I can think of several that I would include in both categories. Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson.
    Not only were they great vocalist they also touted a substantial stage presence.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.16.05 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jonjuan scribbled:

"Can carry a tune, but...: Ozzy Osbourn/Steven Tyler/Dave Mustain/Lemmy/Stephen Pearcy/James Hetfield/Vince Neil/Mick Jagger/Jeff Keith/Roger Daltry/Mark Slaughter/Joe Elliot/Bonn Scott/Brian Johnson/Axl Rose/David Lee Roth...the list goes on. Even if you don't like these guys, you've probably heard of them, and their bands, for the most part, have been very successful.

"Can sing: Steve Perry/Sammy Hagar/Gary Cherone/the guy from Stryper/Mike Matijavik/Brad Delp/Jon Bon Jovi/Kip Winger/Nelson/many of the hair band singers/etc. You've heard of most of these guys, but with the exceptions of Perry, Hagar, and Bon Jovi, none of them had huge success that was sustained for more than a couple of years, and most of them aren't as cool as those in the first list."

ok...wait a minute... most of these guys you named haven't been musically relevant since the '80s, Roth included.

Not that I wouldn't like Roth to be back in Van Halen. Hell, I'd like to see Sammy back in Van Halen. Hell, I'd like to see Van Halen in Van Halen. Unlike most of the partisans here, I like both of the incarnations of VH. I don't count Gary, because that really can't be figured as an "era," more like a "short commercial message..."

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Carry a tune but don't have great voices?? Are you saying Ozzy doesn't have a great voice?? Hell, Ozzy is an old fart and has a voice Dave or Sam would kill for IMO.
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone who thinks that steven tyler can't sing needs to clean out their ears, and rethink that statement. whoa.......
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Top Jimmy 1:
    Anyone who thinks that steven tyler can't sing needs to clean out their ears, and rethink that statement. whoa.......
    So you're telling me that Steven Tyler has a trained voice? He has not one ounce of vibratto, nor does Ozzy. Like I said, they both carry a tune, but they're not exactly trained voices. Tyler is a bluesy, scat-singing baritone, like Dave, but he's certainly not in the same league as Geoff Tate, Mike Matijavick, and Steve Perry. I don't know a voice coach in the world that would disagree. Don't confuse a cool voice-which Tyler has-with a good voice. But, like I said, a cool voice is better than a good one anyday. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]