Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love
    Last Online

01.29.08 @ 09:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We knew the "who is better" comparisons were coming when they announced this tour. Most of the reviewers feel the need to proclaim a winner after each show.

I've seen Dave's show back in July and I just saw the 2 Sammy shows in Vegas so I can speak with some reference here. Yes, Dave's show might seem a little campy with his stand-in guys and small stage but give the guy a break. Dave was the absolute king of the world in his day and whether reviewers admit it or not they are pitting Dave of '02 against Dave of '82. That's is an impossible act for Dave to follow. He's older and the support team isn't the same on any level.

Sam on the other hand doesn't have whole lot to prove. He was never a frontman in Dave's sense and certainly never a rock-star-god like Dave. He was just a good singer with some great tunes and a fun stage demeanor. That's not too much to live up to. I love Sammy and love his shows without question but the guy is graced by having nothing to prove and no image to uphold. He is what he always was, just a good guy singing good tunes. Steady-Eddie music. Like Jimmy Buffett or Tom Petty. Just another singer.

I truly am a fan of both and of course would give the nod in overall solo material to Sammy but comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. If you want to proclaim a winner it was Dave and it was decided a long time ago. He is the one that will be remembered in the end.

It's like the really beautiful girl who was a 10+ and the solid 7 from High School at their 20 year reunion. The stunning looker is gonna have a helluva time living up to her image but the 7 will probably still be about a 7. No surprises and nothing expected from her.

Just my .02

Let the flaming of me [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] start...
    "F!*^# the concert...Let's go across the freeway and get a drink...whadya say" DLR at the 1983 US Festival. I was there!!!

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No flames here!
    I think you're right on - I agree 100%!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If people are comparing 02 DLR to 82 DLR it is because Dave is still trying to be 82 DLR. When most people tour they don't play 20 year old songs only. There are some exceptions like The Who but 60's and 70's British rock is timeless. DLR set list and attitude invite those comparrison.

If Roth is remembered as the only VH frontman he will be remembered as a 30 yo that might as well of died because he is stuck in a time warp. He is a rock star in a time when people don't want rock stars.

Hagar will be remember for a library of music that spanned 30 years in four decades. Roth will always be remembered as a guy that had a good few years.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by AVH Blues:

If Roth is remembered as the only VH frontman he will be remembered as a 30 yo that might as well of died because he is stuck in a time warp. He is a rock star in a time when people don't want rock stars.

So you'd rather have little pansies like Linkin Park, or Scott Stapp from Creed, or some mask wearing freaks like Slipnot instead?

Hagar will be remember for a library of music that spanned 30 years in four decades. Roth will always be remembered as a guy that had a good few years.
    Nah, they'll both be remembered for contributing great songs to a great band (or 2 different great bands as some purists would argue).....
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Let me clarify:

That remark in the middle of the quote about Linkin Park is mine, not AVH Blues'....
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmmm..... Gotta disagree with ya on this one.

I agree, Dave '02 is competing against Dave '82. I disagree that it is an impossible act to follow. I assume you were at US '83 from your login name. During that show Dave was drunk, screwed up the lyrics to every song, and told someone in the crowd "Hey pal, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend." Dave's "attitude" that he is known for basically consisted of being a cockey dickhead, which one can get away with when your young, good lookin', and a member of a popular band. That actually isn't too tough to beat. It IS difficult to maintain such a persona when your older and not with that popular band anymore. Dave's biggest challenge is his physical appearance and stamina. So far, he's not doing too bad. He can't stop the aging process, but he does look quite fit and can still do some kicks. (I can't imagine how he could with such tight pants on, but he did....)
    I am amused with the comment "He was just a good singer with some great tunes and a fun stage demeanor. That's not too much to live up to." I've seen Sammy perform with Van Halen three times and all three shows were great. Had he not been as energetic, had he not been able to sing, I would have been disappointed. Like Dave, Sammy is getting older as well (and he has seven years on Dave). Sammy '02 is competing against Sammy '74, Sammy '84, Sammy '94, etc... He DOES have a lot to live up to and after seeing him again last night, he certainly met the challenge. Over his career he has CONSISTANTLY performed well.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"and after seeing Sammy again last night, he certainly met the challenge. Over his career he has CONSISTENTLY performed well. "

Exactly, he consistently played well. He is a great guy and plays well. Even great you could say. but...

With few exceptions (US Festival), Dave was spectacular. He has the intangible thing that Sammy doesn't. That's probably why the Sammy-only fans dislike him so much.

I love both of these guys and their music but to say one wins and one loses is just ridiculous. 2 different animals.

Oh and I'll take the rock star over the "Scott Stapps" of today's scene any day. In fact I'd take Weird Al Yankovic over those idiots.
    "F!*^# the concert...Let's go across the freeway and get a drink...whadya say" DLR at the 1983 US Festival. I was there!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

7th Seal / Amsterdam
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

USFESTVET,
    Dude I hear mostly of what you are saying but after reading this portion of your mesage I must take exception...

"I love Sammy and love his shows without question but the guy is graced by having nothing to prove and no image to uphold. He is what he always was, just a good guy singing good tunes. Steady-Eddie music. Like Jimmy Buffett or Tom Petty. Just another singer."

Just another singer? Bro, Im not sure what your musical credentials are (and they may be alot) but c,mon. I am a professional musician. I play smokin guitar, drums, keys, bass and above all I consider myself a great vocalist(No-I'm not kidding-If you dont believe me go to WITCH-HUNT.COM)so I gotta say to you --how could you think that Sammy Hagar is just another singer?. You gotta be kidding me. Some of the vocals that he has pulled off are unbelievable. There are not alot of people that can hold a candle to the dude. As far as comparisons go. Sammy is 54 and still sounds like he always did. Dave is like 47 or something and doesnt sound as close to his heyday as Sammy does. Anyways like you I must say I love them both and could really care less. I cant wait to see them in ---10 DAYS!!!!!.Just one dudes opinion. Rock on all.
    "Dude, that smells...Did you check your drawers?" -EVH<br /><br />witch-hunt.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

INSANO. I completely agree with your sentiments. Sammy "Just another singer?" Yeah right. Comments like that are usually made by people who don't have a clue about what it takes to produce hit after hit, year after year, and put on the kind of show Sammy does night after night. You cannot deny the guy's talent and the mere fact that thousands of people show up to see the current tour night after night is proof enough that he is much more than "Just another singer". Both Sammy and Dave will go down in history as great "vocalists". The comparisons of who won the night are inevitable and really irrelevant when it comes down to it. I saw the show in St. Louis and regardless of who "won the night" (Sammy), it's a damn good rock and roll show and one that you should be very excited about seeing. Sammy made the comment during the show that "this is the best rock and roll tour of the Summer". And he is dead on. Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth and live Van Halen tunes on a warm Summer's eve. Sounds pretty damn good to me. Have a good time at the show. Later.
    "The truth hurts."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by USFestVet:
    whether reviewers admit it or not they are pitting Dave of '02 against Dave of '82.

Speaking from personal experience, since I was 2 years old in the Summer of '82, I was comparing '02 Dave to '02 Sammy in my review.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by USFestVet:
    whether reviewers admit it or not they are pitting Dave of '02 against Dave of '82.

Speaking from personal experience, since I was 2 years old in the Summer of '82, I was comparing '02 Dave to '02 Sammy in my review.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No offense, but this is also why you are more of a Sammy fan - you grew up on Van Hagar, not VAN HALEN!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by USFestVet:

</font>[/QUOTE]Dude that's a thin excuse... You mean to tell us you chose going to Big Bird concerts over original Van Halen in 82...?? WTF were you thinking?? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Balance,VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake,Best Of Both Worlds (live)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with most of what you guys have been saying.Comparing Dave and Sam is like comparing apples and oranges.Two completely different personalities and two completely different singers

But Hagar is one of the only people in rock who can write his own ticket.As far as I am concerned he has an unparalled career (I'm not talking just album sales.He had a pretty impressive solo career and then joined VH and kept them at or surpassed the level of success they had with Dave.And then he went back to being a solo artist and is doing very well considering the state of the business right now.

Hagar tours when he wants and puts out records when he wants and is still reasonably sucessful.Every city in the country that he plays he's gonna draw a few thousand fans and in some cities he is still playing arenas.

Dave should definetly be playing some more of his solo stuff.Out of 19 songs it wouldn't kill him to play 5 or 6 solo songs.I understand people wanna hear the old VH stuff.Hell I wanna hear them cause I was too young to go see them with Dave.Its not like Dave's solo stuff sucks (ok some it isn't the greatest) but he could play Shyboy,Slam Dunk,Goin' Crazy,Just Like Paradise and a couple of others

As an admittedly biased Hagar fan I'd be pissed if he played all VH songs.I also agree with what some of you have been saying,who cares who "wins"....Go to the freaking show and enjoy 3 hours of some of the greatest rock songs ever written and enjoy watching two of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll do their thing.I can't wait for the Tampa show August 1st!!! Later

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My point here wasn't to compare the 2, as I said before I love Sammy and whether it came through or not I feel he is a truly great singer. Really, really good in his finest moments.

I don't feel he was ever spectacular overall like Dave was. Hence, he doesn't have as much to live up to.

My whole point was... Let's cut Dave some slack and enjoy him for what he's doing for us, not how he compares to his legend. He truly is and was a legend.

[ June 12, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: USFestVet ]

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Moving this to the Opinions/Speculation forum.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."