Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

How would you feel if the band decided that there wasn't going to be Van Halen anymore?

How would you feel if they said they decided that some time ago, but didn't inform anyone because they didn't feel they needed to?

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's been so long since they actually did anything that it already seems like they've called it quits. In that sense, I really don't think I'd be THAT moved if they did officially end it. It's much harder to keep up interest in a band once they become veterans and only release albums every 3 years or so, especially a band like Van Halen that doesn't seem too concerned with using things like the internet to maintain a closer relationship with the fans.

Now if they came out and said that they were retiring and that that decision had already been made a year ago, I'd be pissed. They've started up an official message board, and virtually every member has made some type of statement about continuing, so for them to say that was all meaningless would be an insult.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

PISSED! The least they could have done was release a statement that they're done so that their fans don't have to be tortured for years anticipating new music. I'm only 15 and haven't gotten to hear a lot of new Van Halen music (I know, it's just my luck that I was born so late), but they're not as old as some other bands who have gone on into their 50's.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

I'd have mixed emotions - on the one hand I've been hanging around here for a year reading about a potential reunion, on the other hand it's seemed like an impossiblity anyway since 1996, so I wouldn't be crushed totally. But still, with the revamped (albeit singerless) website and some of the optimistic comments, well, I've had some optimism, so that part would be dashed. But as I said, I have the memories of 1996 to know it is never a 100% certainty with this lot. Hopefully even if the band went away they could start mining the vaults and giving us some of the unreleased stuff, maybe find a quality-sounding Dave era concert or two. Plus if I get really bored I suppose I could go out and by the six albums that I don't own that say "Van Halen" on the cover.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was going to post something on what I think the status of Van Halen is, but it kind of fits in here. Anyway things I was told seem to have been verified by recent events so I'll assume that most of it has at least a grain of truth.

About the collaboration with Roth: As far as Eddie is concerned it didn't work for musical or personal reasons. Beyond that, I was told that Dave was having a hard time writing stuff to fit Eddie's music and Dave was playing hardball with contracts. Eddie has spoken of walking away from Van Halen, but he runs hot and cold about the reunion idea.

About the cancer: Eddie has been telling personal friends in private that he is cancer free. I think he had a lesion removed (as everyone else including Val seems to have said), but I don't think it required chemo or radiation. My belief is that he is being less than honest about his illness and treatment........anyone remember how he couldn't possibly have toured with Dave in 1996 because of his hip, yet recorded an album with Gary and toured and spent 10 months on a new album before finally having his operation?

Judging by Val's radio comments and reported Eddie comments on Saturday, it seems like their version is that they are waiting for Dave to budge. Dave probably has good reasons of his own for holding out too.

Nothing much has happened for 18 months, and nothing much looks like happening any time soon. I kind of think Eddie is under so much label and fan pressure that he's gone slightly insane. He gives the impression of not giving much of a fuck about anything.

If they are disagreeing about money/conditions (which I think they are), then I kind of have my doubts that they will ever produce anything worthwhile. I doubt whether any party is really acting with the interests of music or the fans anywhere near the forefront now. At this stage retiring the band may be the best option: I'd rather see that than a Spinal Tap like reunion.....so in that sense I wouldn't be too bothered. Disappointed maybe, given the hope most of us had a year ago.....but not really surprised.

[ May 23, 2001 at 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

A short time ago, it would have saddened me. But now, I would rather they call it quits then go through this bullshit.

Honestly, if they announced tomorrow that it was over it would be fine by me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I won't go into detail about my feelings but in a nutshell, I would not only be disappointed but sad as well. I love this band thru thick and thin so it would be almost like losing a member of my family. Hopefully, Eddie, Alex, Mike and ? still has more music for us.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

06.14.07 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the guys came out today and said that, "Van Halen is offically over and retired", I would feel as if a giant weight would have been lifted off of my shoulders. If Van Halen came out today and said,"The reunion is on with Dave, Sammy..whoever" I would feel as if a giant weight would have been lifted off my shoulder...See my point? It's a catch 22 either way for me. They grant us a explaination and a reason. I feel that's not asking to much. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I assume the band doesn't really care about the extreme anger and confusion it's causing the fans. Or, maybe they are angered and confused as they stand in the middle of the crossroads trying to figure a pathway to take. I'm not so sure the Lord Jesus Christ knows what's going on with this band, but if he did, I wish he'd make it know too... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

So...the wait continues and continues....etc.

But, if the band did "Retire", what are the odds that WB or the band would make avaliable the unreleashed songs/concert videos that usually follow a band's recent retirement? God only knows how much stuff Van Halen has to offer it's fans.

Happy Daze
    Keepin da faith in VH
    "They say a song without vocals is not a song, tell Beethoven that and he'll kick your ass."<br /> Edward Van Halen

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

06.14.07 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Umm, just fyi, a few typo's in my post, such as, "Wish he would let it be "KNOWN"." and "They 'could' grant us...."

Hate when I type like i've been drinking all day. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Happy Daze
    "They say a song without vocals is not a song, tell Beethoven that and he'll kick your ass."<br /> Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think there would be an initial sense of relief that there was finally some news and finally some true information about the status of the band (unlike all the rumors the past few years).

Then after a couple hours reality would set in and I'd be really disappointed that there would be no more music and no more tours.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would be a sad day indeedio! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

At this point though, I think it would be a relief to hear either way.
    <i>"The great controversy will be ended, and the Mighty Van Halen shall reign forever. Amen."</i>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 07:18 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I think they have indeed called it quits. I don't think Eddie wants to do anything but string the fans along for a few more months (years?). I don't think he knows himself what he wants to do at this point. I think it's pretty damn sad that it took him what, ten months to confirm that he worked with Roth on 3 songs last July. So much for letting his fans know what is going on. If they make another CD, which I highly doubt, they'll probably have some lame-ass, no-name singer on it who is Eddie's latest "soulmate." Where have all the good times gone indeed!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post Jonathan. I think without knowing it Eddie (the band) has called it quits. He, in his usual wishy washy way has just failed to tell everyone including Michael Anthony. I believe he did give the reunion a half-assed try but it didnt work. He was probably only doing it to tell WB " See we tried it didnt work".

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

evh uses to say that he is a musician first, not a rockstar, who come and go.so, sooner or later he'll put something out, if his health is ok, i guess he can put out 2 maximum 3 more albums.

but i really doubt, if he still really wants
    to be a major rock-act who can sell out stadiums.

imho EVH will never stop making music, so VH will continue to exist as long as he and his brother exist.

cheers,

SToRM
    dave, we'd like to go upstairs, the two of us, with you ...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd be alright with it...The Police(my other favorite band) went away and never came back...no announcements...

Let's face it...the "rock star" thing is a youngster's gig...the chicks, being "hot", etc...Van Halen has already done all of that...

Van Halen has been to the top and played the biggest crowds...nothing else to prove musically...

Successful with TWO singers which no other band has done...

Lots of great history here...I'd be o.k. with a retirement...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...