Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Well for a long long time, I have fought the private messages thing, frankly I didn't want people conversing privately because I felt that the board would die. But I am interested in your thoughts on this as UBB 6.0 does have a private message function which I have disabled. Does anyone really want this feature, do you think it would the board would suffer?? I want to hear your comments as I reconsider this option again.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO...people can download instant messenger and converse if they want to chat [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PMing , as opposed to a chat room, once in a while isn't bad; I would think that setting up trades would be perfect for something like this. Chat rooms, for people at work like me, wouldn't work too well, cause I know I'd be in-n-out constantly, and it'd be a pain in my ass.

I know Jerel had it for a little bit at www.vhstrungout.com , but I guess he had some problems with it. He's probably the best guy to ask.
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah...Once I upgrade to UBB6.. I will use PM again.

I didn't bother to add any more hacks to the "current" one.

I didn't see that it took away from the board. You saw someone online you were able to PM them...etc

jerel
    Webmaster of <a href="http://www.VHVault.com" target="_blank">VHVault.com</a> , <a href="http://www.VHradio.com" target="_blank">VHRadio.com</a>

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANGEL4U:
    IMO...people can download instant messenger and converse if they want to chat [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The thing is, there are various reasons why some people don't have IM; it's not their computer that they use, perhaps they aren't internet savvy (I didn't have IM for a long time precisely for this reason). So having Private Messages would be good for them, BUT would that lead them to use it strictly as a chat feature and neglect the boards?

I don't know the answer to that question. I was really against the chat room idea, but I could see PM as a valid feature.

Another thing to remember is there would be really no way to police people's use of it; in other words, what happens when people get into flame wars via the PM and then come to Brett complaining that they've been offended by another member? Just a thought there.

Like Brett, my only concern is board posting. There are days when we don't get a ton of posting as it is, I'd hate to see it get slower due to PM.

I lean towards giving it a try, though.

How about that for all around the world content. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

C'mon everybody, throw your two cents in here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Honestly Brett, it wouldn't matter to me. If someone else has a good use for it, then go ahead and activate it. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Booooooo! Booo! Booooooooooo! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't see why it would hamper the board too much. I understand where you would be afraid that some of the back and forth banter that happens in threads would be shut down due to being able to converse privately with someone, but on many cases I kind of think that the replies that people post would still be posted anyway since they would want everyone to read it.

From a moderator's standpoint, PMs could be an added tool if someone (not just another mod) felt there was something a specific mod should look out for that didn't warrent a full-scale call out the troops at the time.

It's your call, Brett. You could always turn it on on a "Trial" basis - and let people know that - and see how it hurt or helped things over the course of, say, a month. If things seem to have been negatively changed at that time, consider that your answer and turn them back off. If things are as good or better than they were before, leave it up.

But remember, as the good Brett giveth, the good Brett taketh away. If you turn them on, don't be afraid to turn them off at any time if you feel it's the right thing to do.
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

tell me more about PM.. is it just like aol IM?
    if so, it might not be a bad thing. you could use it for instant info, non vh related stuff, etc.
    i need to know more about how it works.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

VE, the Army had it at one time (a hacked one). Basically it's like viewing a post on the board, it's just a message from someone, I have never tried it so I don't quite know how well it works. In your profile, you can have it email you when someone has sent you a message.

Still debating guys, I may try it and if posting goes down, dump it. My other fear is that we will lose control of any kind of moderating like Glenn said, and who knows what people will say to each other, and now it's my responsibility, it's on my server. So still debating, more comments welcome.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    Still debating guys, I may try it and if posting goes down, dump it. My other fear is that we will lose control of any kind of moderating like Glenn said, and who knows what people will say to each other, and now it's my responsibility, it's on my server. So still debating, more comments welcome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would this be totally optional? And could it be blocked to certain someones (whatti)sp?
    I think most here would use the message center responsibly....I see the difference now [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I'd say give it a one - month trial, and the reassess it. Never hurts to try new stuff, nd it could be fun.

If it sucks ass, cast it into the ocean, on a burning boat MU HA.. uh, yeh [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Well, I know shit about computers (though I have used PM before), but here's what I would do.

This is predicated on you wanting to give this PM a try;

First off, I'd either wait a week, and keep track of posting for that week, or look back over the previous week to get an idea for posting numbers.

THEN, I would start the PM with the public position that after 7 days it'll be closed again.

After 7 days of use, close it down and then study the numbers in comparison.

Of course, if the numbers look better with the PM and you're confident you want to keep it, closing it down after 7 days may be unnecessary, but having stated previously that it will be closed will give you an out if the numbers need further review.

The content of the PM use is a whole 'nother story. Seems like that's more of a gut call to me, trusting people to use it intelligently.

Anyway, that's another 2 cents from me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yes you can absolutely ignore users if you want Angel, that's an option. If you look at your profile window, you'll see two links at the bottom, "Add to Buddy List" and "Add to Ignore" list. Those are for the PM system, they don't do anything now if you click them. I was just going to remove them, but will wait in case we add the PM system.

Glenn's idea is good, and I might just give it a shot and see if posting goes down, I know now what we average a day, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Still thinking...and thanks for all the useful comments! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Well I've been looking at the PM stuff today, and it is pretty nice, so maybe later today I'll get it up and we can test it out. If it seems to not discourage posting, we'll keep it going, I'll let it go for a week or so and judge the results.

So let me do a few things and we'll get it going. The nice thing about it (for me) is that it only allows you to have 60 PM's in your box at one time, so you won't all be killing my server. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!