Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Tapping

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recently I have been interested in the whole Tapping method so I started listening around. Have any of you heard the tapping of Robert Fripp? I was amazed at how different it was from EV. Just a different feel, not as aggressive, and very technical. I'm practicing the tapping but would love any tips any of you have!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm, there are alot of guys out there with great tapping licks... and ALOT of guys out there can actually tap better than the master ed himself lol... [img]tongue.gif[/img] listen to jennifer batten, buckethead, vai, satriani, and a guy which can play two guitars at the same time, he always play this 8 finger stuff all the time, ive forgotten his name sorry... they all do this 8 finger tap, really insane...

hmm tips lol? i dont know, if you wanna go into the 8 finger stuff then you have to train your right hand as much as the left hand, but its really difficult... just make sure that you can play it clean and slowly, than bring on the distortion and some speed... voila...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm strike directly down onto the fretboard but the problem I'm having is making the next note sound clear and loud. I'm thinking or at least playing around with using the index instead of the middle finger, I guess I just have to find what is cool for me.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that praticing Eruption Tapping as really help me for my tapping now im fuckin good with my tapping [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I play eruption tapping completeply and god damn it sound great with my distortion
    When someone tell me to play something I play my tapping cause I know that they will freak
    Advice : pratice eruption tapping at a rythim that you are the most confortable and pratice,pratice and pratice and you will kick ass
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If theres something I cant deal with, I can just spend hours playing. Its a God-given gift I certainly dont know where the ideas come from. Theyre obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ahhh young Grasshopper, the problem is that techincally it's called "Hammer-on/Pull-Off" and this is the problem.

You strike down on fretboard fleshy part of finger tip.

Then you quickly pull off, almost plucking-but not quite- the string.

Picture trying to get booger off end of finger.

Anyhoo, tapping is fun and will lead to tap-harmonics and slap harmonics and a whole bunch of fun stuff.

I would reccomend Stanley Jordan, who is the master tap artist. His approach is essentually playing piano on guitar.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, stanley jordan is the guy what i mentioned above... this guy is crazy lol, he plays two guitars at the same time sometimes...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've never been able to tap well (listen to sound samples - hee hee hee).

However, I've since realised that that's possibly not what I should be focusing on. A lot of players that are better than me say they are more impressed if a guitar player can play a rhythm or riff with feel more than just tapping a million notes a second.

But I can't do that either (again, listen to sound samples - hee hee hee).

But that's not to say don't try the tapping route. I just wouldn't focus all your time on it. I'd rather listen to Clapton or guys like Steve Rothery (Marillion), or Luke Morley (Thunder) who in my opinion can simply play a guitar.

That's not to say I'm not blown away by the tapping. I am. But it's just masturbation when it's all said and done. I view tapping as running full out, whereas rhythm and feel would be like learning to crawl and walk. So why run if you can't walk or crawl ?

As I haven't really mastered the simpler parts of guitar playing, I don't think I can justify spending loads of time learning tapping.

Maybe one day I will move onto being able to play Eruption. Until then, I'll settle with Highway To Hell...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Vibrato is the key. If your vibrato sounds 'nervous', all the tapping and blazing and what-not is totally useless.
    Don't forget about those rhythm chops. That's what ya do 99% of the time (or should be doing, ya wanker!). [img]smile.gif[/img] j/k [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, this reminds me. Where's those warm up scales you promised me tribb ?

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

When I practice my hammer on/offs, I play within scales so I can cover various fretboard locations on various strings to increase precision. A little more of a brain tickler once you surpass "Eruption" A little like the "Hot for Teacher" ascension, but with more scalability [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Tapping is just a technique, like bending a string or palm muting. Tapping is easy. Tapping well is hard. The thing I hate, and it was all too common in the late 80's, is when you can hear the guitar player kind of go 'Right, I'm going to start tapping - NOW!' That's when it was being used as a gimmick. If it naturally fits into your playing style, then it can be a very expressive tool. If you have to force it into a solo, then it will sound like masturbation, just as Mondola points out.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey mondola!

if youre searching for some warmup scales, these are the best i think...

http://www.guitar-dominion.com/GDOMTAB-1234-1.gif

the video is on the same site...:

http://www.guitar-dominion.com/lessons.htm

this guy is a really good teacher, give him a try [img]smile.gif[/img] its for free...

BTW: this guy also does some battles in http://www.guitarbattle.com ...

this site is about having fun, have some opinions on your playing and maybe increase the playing... and the best: its for free [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] BTW2: im hansel, if someone wants to battle me lol...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wasn't Jeff Watson the first to do an 8-finger tapping run on record?

Stanley Jordan is amazing, but a lot of his stuff sounds really bland to me after a while.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150, and Humans Being
    Last Online

06.08.05 @ 10:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stanley Jordan is an amazing player but he is more of a technician than a true musician like EVH.
    Personally, I'd rather listen to Ed, Al Dimeola, or Pat Martino than listen to SJ wanking away guitar.

[ February 25, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: -EVHguitar- ]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jeff Watson was probably the first rock guy but as I was constantly reminded durring the 80's that if eight fingers was your game you should take up the Stick (remember those?)
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300