Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I had an old neck I was going to slap onto a body a buddy of mine has, and the alignement of holes in the neck are off just a hair to the body. If bolt the neck as it is, then the 6th string at the 15th fret will be at the edge of the fretboard. It doesn't actually go over the edge, but close enough nontheless. Any ideas on a way to move the neck? I was thinking a shim in the side of the neck pocket could do it to change the angle, but then I started thinking about the existing holes in the neck becoming oval-like and enlarged. Any suggestions? Gracias! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the neck sits tight in the pocket then you're best bet is to fill the existing holes in the neck with hardwood dowel and redrill the holes for the existing body route.
    If the neck isn't an exact fit and it's a bit loose in the pocket then you could shim it from the side a bit, but the holes in the neck may still not line up with the holes in the body route.
    Make sure the holes line up either way. If they don't line up perfectly, don't take any shortcuts. Fill the holes and redrill for a proper fit.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    If the neck sits tight in the pocket then you're best bet is to fill the existing holes in the neck with hardwood dowel and redrill the holes for the existing body route.
    If the neck isn't an exact fit and it's a bit loose in the pocket then you could shim it from the side a bit, but the holes in the neck may still not line up with the holes in the body route.
    Make sure the holes line up either way. If they don't line up perfectly, don't take any shortcuts. Fill the holes and redrill for a proper fit.
    Yea, you're right about avoiding the shortcuts. Thanks much. Off to the hardware store!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]