Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: EVH On Balance

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a thread over at Mike Portnoy's forum and a discussion on John Petrucci's forum basically stating that EVH did not play all the guitar on Balance. 'Someone in the know' claims Steve Lukether played some of the guitars parts. Sounds like bullshit to me. Especially being that EVH seemed to have pulled off everything on the CD live just fine. Any of you ever heard this?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seeing as Ed and Steve have been close friends for a long time I guess it could be possible, but I imagine Steve might have been there and possibly given Ed an idea here and there that Ed would then possibly use. I understand Ed was going through a lot of emotional baggage during the recording of the album.
    If you listen to their phrasing, Steve doesn't sound like Ed, although he's a great player.
    I can't see Ed allowing anyone to actually play on his album without giving the person some credit somewhere in the jacket.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.27.06 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who knows, I think if he did play on the album, it wasn't any of the solos. I have read he has contributed alot of backing vocals. I remeber when Sammy's Marching to mars album came out, a friend told me Slash played on a tune. i was all pumped. I later found out his contribution was very minimal, just some mutedstrums if I remeber right. Anyways,I think if Lukather did play on the album it was probably something small, and like it has been stated, they are buds anyway.
    ...and on the seventh day, god created Eddie! <br /><br /><a href="http://www.rosetears.com" target="_blank">http://www.rosetears.com</a>

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always heard that a big part of a guitarist's sound is in his hands - Eddie could play anyone's gear and sound like Eddie, Luke could play anyone's gear and sound like Luke.
    Balance sounds like Eddie to me.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Not to fuel this fire... But how many of us, not knowing Ed personally or having the ability to sit down and jam with him on a regular basis, do a fairly good job of mimicking his playing? Either through tab books or playing by ear, most of us (those that actually play guitar) could probably pull off enough subtleness to not be considered half-assed. Who's to say that Lukather, close friend of Ed and even has his style compared to Ed on certain recordings, didn't help his bud out? Sure we don't want to beleive it, but it is highly probable. Additionally, whomever stated that Ed should sue for slander kind of nailed his own coffin shut becuase as picky as Ed has been this past few years, if someone said bullshit about VH, his lawyers would be on top of it. I'm sure he is paying them enough to do other things besides surf EBay for the latest Frankenstrat rip off... Just my two cents, now someone owes me a penny [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 08, 2002, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a section on Lukather's web site that lists the sessions he did.
    The list is very long, but there's mention of Van Halen / Balance.
    Steve would'nt make this up...
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Seeing as Ed and Steve have been close friends for a long time I guess it could be possible, but I imagine Steve might have been there and possibly given Ed an idea here and there that Ed would then possibly use. I understand Ed was going through a lot of emotional baggage during the recording of the album.
    If you listen to their phrasing, Steve doesn't sound like Ed, although he's a great player.
    I can't see Ed allowing anyone to actually play on his album without giving the person some credit somewhere in the jacket.
    from what I understand he is given credit on FUCK and Balance, who knows what he did if anything and I don't think it matters...ok ok I'll spill it I played all the guitar parts on all the records [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

This is the hot topic of the week apparently, We also have a thread in Main about this if you missed it.

http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ult...c&f=2&t=009775

My opinion is that he probably jammed tunes with Ed, collaborated on some ideas or something. They are friends, they have shared ideas before, as Ed did give him the unreleased "I Want Some Action" for one of Luke's solo albums. So sure I am sure they jam around together and come up with stuff. But no way did Eddie need him to play guitar on an album for him, absolutely no way. Luke also said in an interview somewhere that he SANG backup on some Van Halen records, I wish I could find where I read that, it was recently. I bet no one thought to think his contributions were vocals.

From what I've seen of Dream Theater fans, some (not saying all, just a broad generalization) of them are so arrogant against any other guitarists or bands, I doubt they'd be very objective on the subject.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Here I found the place where Luke says he sang backup on some VH songs. It's from his official site in the Q & A section. Might want to tell those Petrucci guys not to be so hasty with their assumptions that Luke added guitar to "Balance" and not vocals.

Nowhere on his site does he ever say he plays guitar on any VH album.

Q: (October 23 2001) I read that you sang backing vocals for Van Halen. Which songs? (Will Minting)
    Luke: Van Halen... I have played and sang with them many times over the years. I don't remember the names of the songs I sang on. It was about 3-4 tunes over the years and I have jammed with them live many times. Great band and Ed and Alex are close friends.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!