Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would someone please explain these to me? I've heard you can get a better tone/gain out of them.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not true at all. You can push your amp harder by turning the volume up without the output volume being as loud.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    Not true at all. You can push your amp harder by turning the volume up without the output volume being as loud.
    Tribb, didn't Eddie come up with that idea way back when with a dimmer switch that he got from Bi-Mart or soemthing like that?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Edward used a Variac and in principle its similar to a light dimmer. This allowed him to push the voltage and get the power tubes melting. He blew tubes like a motherfucker, but got the tone he wanted.

Other shit like a Hotplate, or Power Brake, what have you is specifically made for guitar amp applications, as Tribb said. Eddie just pretty much incorporated the voltage generator into his rig, it wasn't like it was specifically made for musical applications, as far as I know. Personally I don't have any experience with them but I guess alot of people use them, probably more so where you don't have a Master Volume amp.

[ January 03, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: TheMightyCopenHalenII ]
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Erm.....and how do you do this without playing loudly?

You have officially confused me.

A hot plate is for power tube distortion, to my knowledge.

I get almost zero power tube distortion at a volume of 2, which is as high as I can go in my apartment. Even at my old house in college, my ears couldn't stand the volume on 3.

A Hotplate between a head and a cabinet allows the volume (i.e. powertubes) to be cranked to 10, or less if you desire.

Is there another way you know of to do this???

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:

I get almost zero power tube distortion at a volume of 2, which is as high as I can go in my apartment. Even at my old house in college, my ears couldn't stand the volume on 3.

A Hotplate between a head and a cabinet allows the volume (i.e. powertubes) to be cranked to 10, or less if you desire.

</font>[/QUOTE]Think of the Hotplate as a volume control that comes after the power section of the amp. You turn the amp to ten to saturate the power tubes then the Hotplate allows you to back the volume down before it hits the speakers. So you get cranked power tube sound without cranked power tube loudness. To me a Hotplate is a must have if you own a non-master volume amp.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:

</font>[/QUOTE]Think of the Hotplate as a volume control that comes after the power section of the amp. You turn the amp to ten to saturate the power tubes then the Hotplate allows you to back the volume down before it hits the speakers. So you get cranked power tube sound without cranked power tube loudness. To me a Hotplate is a must have if you own a non-master volume amp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Right.
    If you play an amp that runs clean at all volumes a hotplate will do nothing to change that.
    It doesn't add gain or distortion of any kind unless you have it at the maximum setting of -16 db and then it sounds like shit.
    It allows you to play your amp at higher volume settings, while still keeping the output volume lower by attenuating the power section of the amp.
    At the same time, less air is being pushed through the speaker so any natural speaker distortion is eliminated unless the db settings are low, in which case it doesn't do much to kill the output volume of the amp.
    It is pretty good for cranking a non master volume amp down to a reasonable stage volume though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LarryJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:

</font>[/QUOTE]Right.
    If you play an amp that runs clean at all volumes a hotplate will do nothing to change that.
    It doesn't add gain or distortion of any kind unless you have it at the maximum setting of -16 db and then it sounds like shit.
    It allows you to play your amp at higher volume settings, while still keeping the output volume lower by attenuating the power section of the amp.
    At the same time, less air is being pushed through the speaker so any natural speaker distortion is eliminated unless the db settings are low, in which case it doesn't do much to kill the output volume of the amp.
    It is pretty good for cranking a non master volume amp down to a reasonable stage volume though.
    </font>[/QUOTE]not to mention that it also has line level out so if you choose you can run effects after the power tubes ( like that famous guy we all know and love) and get a different sound from them than if they were between the guitar and the amp, but then you have to run to another powerhead for your volume, either a rack mount type or another amphead set on clean.

I have something called a Powertool it has a line level out as mentioned above *or* it's own built in 50 watt amplifier plus an effects loop, it's actually more similiar to a palmer than the hot plate it's a very cool device but I'm done playing with it anyon want it ??
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I still don't understand the exagerrated statement of ".....not true at all".

I understand (very well, actually) how power amp distortion is created, and as far as Edward is concerned, I've understood it completely since the 1980s.

Anyone I know who uses great amounts of power amp distortion either uses blistering amounts of volume, a VariAC to "trick" the power amp while using lower volumes, or uses a powersoak (i.e. Hotplate).

Can someone enlighten me?!?

[ January 03, 2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still don't understand the exagerrated statement of ".....not true at all".

I understand (very well, actually) how power amp distortion is created, and as far as Edward is concerned, I've understood it completely since the 1980s.

Anyone I know who uses great amounts of power amp distortion either uses blistering amounts of volume, a VariAC to "trick" the power amp while using lower volumes, or uses a powersoak (i.e. Hotplate).

Can someone enlighten me?!?
    \\

well I'll give it a shot, a hotplate or any attenuator does not give your amp any more gain than it had before, so if you turn your non master amp all the way to 10 and it's still not much in the distortion dept a hot plate won't help it, all it does is let you get the same tone that your amp has at full blast (or at any real loud setting) at a lower volume,
    in reality though it get's kinda muddy when you turn it down low and thus extra EQ is nice, the hotplate has a switch that can help with EQ while more expensive ones like the Palmer speaker sim and the power tool have an eq with them. so anyway it's all used for volume control so you can crank your plexi and play in a small club or even your house although they sound like shit at real low volume I don't care what anyone says.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

......but the bottom line is that you're cranking your power amp tubes, which you can't do without a power soak in a normal setting (without destroying your eardrums).

Am I missing something? This is exactly what a HotPlate is for, is increasing powertube distortion, as the original poster was insinuating.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, what Rol says exactly.
    I used the term not true at all toward the mistaken belief that the hotplate will increase your gain as a gain or distortion pedal, or a variac would. I think people tend to get confused about the name "hot" plate, thinking it does something to make your sound hotter or more agressive, which isn't the case.
    A variac and hotplate work on two totally different principals, and have 2 completely different functions.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

......but the bottom line is that you're cranking your power amp tubes, which you can't do without a power soak in a normal setting (without destroying your eardrums).

Am I missing something? This is exactly what a HotPlate is for, is increasing powertube distortion, as the original poster was insinuating.
    I get what you're saying but there is a misconception that the Hotplate gives your amp more gain than it already has. You're going to have the same amount of gain from your amp with a Hotplate or not. It just won't be as loud with a Hotplate.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll probably rent one and try it out. I don't know if it will matter much anyway with my amp, [Fender Princeton 65 watt DSP (solid-state)]. I know, I need a new amp.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All that for a 65 watt solid state???
    Hotplates are "NOT" to be used with solid state amps.
    The circuitry is completey different since there id no tube saturation, just emulation.
    If you go to the hotplate(THD) site, they warn you not to use one with a solid state amp.