Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pickups are always a very subjective matter, so this is just my OPINION...nothing more.

After teaching at/working at a Fender dealer for 5 years, I played HUNDREDS of guitars and pickups. I have come to prefer the sound of single coils over humbuckers, but have played both.

To MY ears, the Lace Sensors sound OKAY, but they seem to lack personality and character. That can be both good AND bad. Since they don't have an instantly recognizable sound, the door is open for you to create your own. However, since they (to MY ears) lack character and seem a little 'sterile', getting tone out of them may be a little tough. BUT, that is up to the player to do; I PLAYED the things, but I never WORKED with them, if you know what I mean.

In terms of basic quality, they are generally clean and quiet. They do their job well, but I just think that the lack of any known 'signature' sound makes them hard to compare to anything you're used to hearing. They use a completely different magnet structure than 'normal' pickups, which reduces magnetic pull on the strings and gives a very fast response.

Best bet is to go to a dealer that has some guitars with them already installed and try them out. Your ears will tell you more than anyone's words can.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You haven't made up your mind yet KV? Lol [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img], it may take awhile but looks like your on the right path ...

Muhwahahhaha!!!

Sorry dude, but were you originally looking for a neck or bridge position pick-up? Lol, Tribb WAS right wasn't he? ...

[ April 01, 2001 at 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Eyes of the Night ]
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags<br /><br /> G4 guitar player files at <a href="http://www.freedrive.com" target="_blank">www.freedrive.com</a> the username and password are both vhlinks(lowercase). My file is under No Bozo's ...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, ABV hit it right on the head. I've played all the types of lace sensors, and although AVH put it in a nice way, I believe the bottom line is THEY SUCK for what you're after. Keep looking. [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx kids. No EOTN, I haven't made up my mind. I want to get the opinions on all sorts of pickups before I buy any. I'd hate to have a bad sound. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'd like to have that Screamin' Demon pickup, but it's a double coil and I don't want to have my guitar routed.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, there are lots of stacked humbuckers that will fit into a single coil slot. Try the Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan website and have a look. The body wood of your guitar will play a big part too. Do you know what kind of wood it is, and do you play a rosewood or maple fingerboard?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

last I heard the Lace sensor line was discontinued.

Abe and Tribb are right, they are one of the most sterile sounding p/u I've ever used.

The new pickups from fender, (noiseless singles) are great.

My dad bought a Fat Strat with these things in them and they sound great. Not quite enough balls for heavier stuff, but for country, rock & roll they're great [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:
    Thanx kids. No EOTN, I haven't made up my mind. I want to get the opinions on all sorts of pickups before I buy any. I'd hate to have a bad sound. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'd like to have that Screamin' Demon pickup, but it's a double coil and I don't want to have my guitar routed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duncan makes a 'Lil Screamon Demon' to fit into a single coil slot! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

homeunit, they might be discontinued. I don't know, but Musician's Friend is selling them. I think I put a link in my first post.

tribb, I guess my guitar is ash wood. All I know is it's a standard Fender Strat. Maybe I'll get a book and look up the serial #.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    last I heard the Lace sensor line was discontinued.

Abe and Tribb are right, they are one of the most sterile sounding p/u I've ever used.

The new pickups from fender, (noiseless singles) are great.

My dad bought a Fat Strat with these things in them and they sound great. Not quite enough balls for heavier stuff, but for country, rock & roll they're great [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of my guitars has the Vintage Noiseless pickups in it. Not very high on output, but through my POD or 5150, they sound incredible. I CAN pull off heavier stuff wih them, it's just that the balls come from the amp and not the pickup. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But their CLEAN sound is the flagship tone of these things. Sweet and sparkly like a good champagne. But for balls-out rock, they aren't the most likely choice.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenyonVincent:
    homeunit, they might be discontinued. I don't know, but Musician's Friend is selling them. I think I put a link in my first post.

tribb, I guess my guitar is ash wood. All I know is it's a standard Fender Strat. Maybe I'll get a book and look up the serial #.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHERE was your Strat made? Fender reserves ash for transparent finishes. My 3 Strats are all (gasp) Squier Pro Tones; they are all solid ash.

If your guitar was made in Mexico, you've got a poplar body. If you have a USA-made Strat, it's alder. If it's Japanese, I would have to do some research according to year/model.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're correct Abe, then it's Poplar. The headstock says Mexico.