Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

ALL OF THEM
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HELP I HAVE A GUITAR WITH A STANDARD TREMLO HOW CAN I KEEP IT FROM GOING OUT OF TUNE SO QUICK. I HEARD THAT EDDIE LIKE OILED THE TOP NUT ARE SOMETHING IS THIS TRUE? HE DID IT SO THERE WOULD BE NO FRICTION. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE TELL ME THANX [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ahhh - the old "sticky nut" trick... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Yeah, Ed oiled his nut (God help me here [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) at one point, but most guys are going to recommend not to - you'll have strings popping out of the place all the time.

I think homeunit and tribb can help you better with a viable solution here, as well as several of the other regular posters in this forum. I'm not the best at questions regarding setup and the like. (I just play 'em. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] )

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VAN_HALEN_EVH:
    HELP I HAVE A GUITAR WITH A STANDARD TREMLO HOW CAN I KEEP IT FROM GOING OUT OF TUNE SO QUICK. I HEARD THAT EDDIE LIKE OILED THE TOP NUT ARE SOMETHING IS THIS TRUE? HE DID IT SO THERE WOULD BE NO FRICTION. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE TELL ME THANX [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    once you have done all the other mentioned checks posted here, besides oiling the strings at the nut
    and at the saddles put a drop on each string winding at the tuners, yes sounds stupid but it works.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was something I could never conquer...so I finally said screw it and bought a Floyd.

A lot of modern guitars go with the locking tuning machines and a graphite nut....I've played a few and they stay in tune pretty darn good.

Seems like there was some other things that Edward did to keep his tremolo in tune as well. For instance the way he wound his strings on the tuning machines...instead of winding them so the strings would go down the shaft, he wound them so they would go up, and thus have a straight line to the nut. He also turned the ball ends as he wound them to keep them from kinking up. Oh and don't forget boiling his strings. Also, he said he had a brass nut on his guitar, but I don't recall any photos of the Franky with a brass nut...

One last thing to check, that is often overlooked, is string trees. A lot of times people only focus on the nut as the cause of tuning problems, when in fact string trees cause just as many problems. Make sure the area that touches the string is smooth and has no burrs on it.

[ August 18, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: BrownSound1 ]
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off are the grooves in the nut smooth and the right size for all the strings(some guitar manufacturers are getting lazy with this). First you want to make sure you don't have a ratty nut, if you don't know how to remedy this a guitar tech can do it for cheap. Once you're nut is in good shape, add a small dot of 3in1 oil under each string at the nut and at the bridge. If you still go out of tune too much after that you'll need some more durable tuning machines. Locking Sperzels are nice but if you're nut is in good shape and oiled just a quality set of tuning machines will do the job.

[ August 18, 2002, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: LarryJ ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One last thing to check, that is often overlooked, is string trees. A lot of times people only focus on the nut as the cause of tuning problems, when in fact string trees cause just as many problems. Make sure the area that touches the string is smooth and has no burrs on it.
    Good point and very true.
    Also, if you listen to a no. of old VH live stuff you'll probably notice that Edward was slightly out of tune quite a bit.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and he retuned between songs. ive seen lots of pics where it looks like a brass nut,plus edward stated that it was brass in interveiws. but thats a whole other thread. plus he said he stretched his tremelo springs too.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.