Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

O.K....It doesn't LOOK complicated, but enough guys have shared wiring horror stories that I'm wondering...

My question is...should I drop new pickups in my Strat on my own if it's my firsy try? How tough is that process?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go for it-wiring is one of those things you can screw up but not do any real damage. Just keep a couple things in mind:

1)make a diagram of which wires go where.

2)use a soldering iron rated somewhere NEAR 40 watts; anything in the ballpark is good.

3)remember to apply solder to the heated parts, and NOT to the iron!

4)get on and off the parts quick with the iron; you don't wanna fry anything.

Strats are pretty simple to understand when it comes to wiring (well, except for mine; I added a buunch of stuff to them ). The worst thing about SOME Strats is that there's a little jumper wire going across the pickup switch that HAS to be there, so if you see that yours has it, make sure you stays put.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It depends on how experienced you are with a soldering iron. I use a 25 watt, and never go higher.
    If everything else is there, then take notes as to how everything is before you start. You can burn out pots by applying too much heat to the legs, so be careful. You can also have a cold solder joint, which looks like it's soldered, but isn't connected well, and will hum when turned on, especially if it's a ground solder, so watch for that.
    If the guitar's just a beater, you've done some soldering, and the pickups are cheapies then why not. If it's your best strat, and you just purchased some quality p/u's, and you've got "NO" experience with a soldering iron, then either practice soldering on cheap components for awhile first, or just have a tech solder them in for a few bucks.
    It's not worth fucking up a good instrument to save 20 or 25, which is less than the cost of a good iron and quality solder.
    I'm not telling you not to experiment. I think every musician should have an iron, and be willing to try things, but learn to solder properly first. I've seen some sloppy mistakes that have totally fucked up the electronics on an instrument.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to do micro/miniature repair on electronic circuit boards in the service so I'll just offer a couple of additional tips. The guys above pretty much told you everything you need to know.

Clean off the surfaces to be soldered with isopropyl alcohol. Makes soldering much easier and requires less contact time to make the connection. Don't get this stuff on the finish of your guitar. Use a Q-tip. A touch of flux on the connection makes solder flow smoother as well.

Use a heat sink to distribute heat so you don't fry anything. In this case, your heat will be nothing more than an alligator clip. Make sure it's clean so it will distribute heat; don't use one with any residue, if you catch my drift.

As stated above, use the right solder. Let the person at Rip-Off Shack recommend one. If you have a bud that has some but doesn't know what it is, don't use it. Acid-core solder is NOT what you want to be using. 60/40 rosin core would be appropriate.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor