Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Alright, I want to learn about the inner workings of the geetar and my goal is to eventually assemble my own dream axe...

Question #1-If I buy a guitar kit, will I see what I need to see as far as educational purposes are concerned?

Question#2-Will those cheap kits on e-bay give me something that sounds decent and is playable? Or will MAJOR surgery be required?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, if you really want to learn about the workings of the guitar, I suggest you buy a total piece of shit junk guitar and just tinker with EVERYTHING. Take it all apart, put it back together. Do your best to make the guitar play and sound respectable. Believe me, you will get quite an education!

The Guitar Player Guide to Guitar Maintenance is a good text to help explain things. You would be learning both the physics and mechanics of the instrument, and the electronics part, which is really physics as well.

Working on a beater is helpful because it doesn't matter much if you mess it up; hell, messing it up is half the fun! Once you've gotten a good idea as to how the things work, then assembling your own guitar from a kit or spare parts is a LOT of fun. Depending on your budget, you can actually build a good guitar if you want. Some parts suppliers like Stewart-MacDonald make stuff that is often SUPERIOR to many of the guitars on the market, and can turn into quite a nice guitar.

The main things you really need to learn are:

setting intonation
    adjusting action
    fret/neck care (cleaning, polishing, etc)
    wiring 101
    basic hardware repair

Finishing and painting are a whole new ballgame, one that I avoid like the plague. Major fret work can be tough, but the simple stuff is important. And you needn't be an electronics whiz to work on them; just a little basic info can get you through the project.

Hope some of this helps!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't really know that much about wiring a guitar myself. I always just take it down to the guitar shop and get them to do it for me. I'm building a new guitar though, maybe I'll watch and learn this time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcgvh:
    I don't really know that much about wiring a guitar myself. I always just take it down to the guitar shop and get them to do it for me. I'm building a new guitar though, maybe I'll watch and learn this time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Learning how to wire a guitar can save you a small fortune in repair bills. Spending $20 or whatever on a book geared to wiring is WELL worth the price. Hell, I use a cheap $15 Radio Shack soldering iron, and with it, I have earned many hundreds of dollars using it.

Ya gotta watch though, some repair guys will not let you see them work, and I can appreciate that. There's nothing like having to take a friggin' hammer to someone's $20,000 Martin while they watch. It's just not right. But, if your tech is ok with it, ask him to explain some of the basics of wiring to ya. With the $$ you could save, you may end up being able to afford another guitar upgrade that you otherwise couldn't have.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of the time when you buy a new pickup there will be a wiring diagram included. They usualy illustrate many different wiring configs depending on the guitar you have.
    <a href="http://www.unityparty2001.com/cgi-local/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi" target="_blank">Electric Shock</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Very helpful indeed, Abe...thanks... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...