Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I flush mounted my floyd rose to my frankenstrat and I'm just having a bitch of a time properly adjusting my neck. Whats the best way to shim a neck and can there be any gap between the floyd and the body of the guitar? I have about a 1/8" gap. If Eddie used a quarter on the low E side wouldn't you have gap any way?
    Also did Eddie actually screw the spring claw flush to wood when using 2 springs?

Thanks
    And I'm sorry for all the questions.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by no fret:
    I flush mounted my floyd rose to my frankenstrat and I'm just having a bitch of a time properly adjusting my neck. Whats the best way to shim a neck and can there be any gap between the floyd and the body of the guitar? I have about a 1/8" gap. If Eddie used a quarter on the low E side wouldn't you have gap any way?
    Also did Eddie actually screw the spring claw flush to wood when using 2 springs?

Thanks
    And I'm sorry for all the questions.
    If you don't mind, I'll see if I can contribute to this... First, regarding the claw in the back, it is used to adjust the spring tension of the bridge. If when you grab the whammy bar to a dive bomb and it feels to tight, loosen the claw, and if it seems to easy and out of control when using the whammy, tighten it. If there is a gap, you may want to try to lower the pivot screws. If they don't lower, then try to redrill the holes and counter sink them to go lower. Assuming your action is too high on the neck that is. If the action is too low, raise the pivots. When adjusting the string height on the neck, you may need to adjust the angle of the neck. Try using a sliver of pick about 1/8 inch wide near the inside of the guitar pocket and the end of the neck. This will create a slight angle for the neck. I don't recommend shimming the whole butt of the neck becuase your guitar won't be completely stable, that's why you may need to sink those screws a little more. A Floyd is pretty simple to setup once you know if you want it floating or not and what tension you need to use the bar. I prefer all of my Floyds to float becuase I do quite a bit of pulling up on to raise the pitch in the first place. Hope that helps [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by no fret:
    [QB]I flush mounted my floyd rose to my frankenstrat and I'm just having a bitch of a time properly adjusting my neck. Whats the best way to shim a neck and can there be any gap between the floyd and the body of the guitar? I have about a 1/8" gap. If Eddie used a quarter on the low E side wouldn't you have gap any way?

Thanks
    [QB]
    HI,

You can have a gap if you like, and it plays well, I wouldn't go fo a big gap though, there really is always a gap on a flush mounted floyd in front cause if you don't have a trench between the posts the saddle intonation screws keep it from going all the way down unless or unless you grind them off, Eds floyd on the Franky did not sit flush that is why the quarter was there so it wouldn't pull up, I have head him break strings and go out of tune before he put that quarter there.

as for shims it doesn't take much, what you think looks like a big gap between your frets and strings can probably be done with a thin piece of cardboard, I use construction paper and masking or electrical tape under the neck for small shims, if it needs to go bigger add a piece of tape .
    If it's a large shim hardwood from a hobby store is the way I'd do it, but that takes work you need to cut it to the right neckpocket size and then sand it to the right height I hope you don't have to do that, it's not pretty and though shims are common place shimming the entire neck pocket is not a cool thing to have to do but if that is what needs to be done to make the guitar to your liking then that is what you do.
    anymore questions ask away.
    hope this helps Good luck
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll give it another shot. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey rols my neck is a little over 1/16 to small for the pcket of the body i have, What would U do?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bobthyfan:
    Hey rols my neck is a little over 1/16 to small for the pcket of the body i have, What would U do?
    I am assuming you mean side to side ? like when you put the neck in the pocket it is sloppy ?
    you take even amounts of shim and shim bolth sides of the neck, again construction paper and tape works well for small applications but 1\16 of an inch you need to get thin wood shims and again shim each side of the neck evenly, if you put more shim on one side that the other then the neck will be offcenter and the low or high E string will be close to the edge you need to keep it as centered as possible
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bobthyfan:
    oh btw you will have to sand evenly on both sides till it fits snug but not too snugg