Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

As some of you may have read on my earlier post, I recently acquired a Purple Axis at Guitar Center in Chicago in the used guitar section.
    When I got the guitar, it was in almost perfect condition, even had the plastic on the cavity covers.
    The only thing wrong with it, and I knew this when I got it, was that the Ass-Clown that had it before me cranked down on the Floyd nut and grooved the nut really badly. It sounded like a Sitar on the open B and G strings.
    Anyway, I went to my local Ernie Ball dealer, Flores Music in Peoria, and had them order me a new nut from Ernie Ball on Tuesday at about 2:30pm. The guys said it would be about $30. On Friday I went in to check and see if it had arrived, and it had.
    Now, for $30, I fully expected only to get the actual nut portion of the assembly that bolts to the neck, since I ordered it from the factory.
    Much to my suprise, I got the nut, a shim, three locking clamps with screws, the neck mounting screws, washers, and lock washers, a new string retaining bar, and the two allen wrenches required to mount it all. About the only thing they didn't send me was a hot chick to blow me while I put the new nut on.
    I was really impressed with what I got for my money, especially ordering from the manufacturer, where usually you get bent over hard.
    Go EBMM
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Dude, for a replacement nut part, you shouldn't exepct anything less than that from the factory. It would cost them a lot more than the buck fifty in screws and wrenches if they didn't include it in the first place, and you as a customer realized later that you did need that stuff. But it is nice to see that quality Customer Service is alive and kicking [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've received parts like that for my EVH's from a local Ernie Ball dealer as well. When the parts came in and I asked how much I was told EBMM didn't charge them so there was no cost.
    That's service.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by nobozos:
    About the only thing they didn't send me was a hot chick to blow me while I put the new nut on.
    Go EBMM
    Now that was funny.........

I emailed Peavey about a a metal clamp on the nut that holds the string......you know with the allen screw going thru it.......

One broke.....a couple of days later.......I had three sitting on my doorstep with an apology for the problem.

Not if they could only get my 5150 from buzzin...... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered a part from Peavey and it took them 6 weeks to get it out to me (the nut) and then there were no holes in it for the screws.

I was looking at this piece of metal they shipped me and going, "WTF???"

I called them and they said it would be another 6 - 8 weeks on a replacement part.

So I wound up screwing it onto my guitar with a longer screw to clamp the strings down. I wrote an e-mail to Brad telling him about it and relaying the story about how Ed had told me to buy one of his guitars when I met him and that they were sending me crap.

Three hours later the VP of Peavey's parts division e-mailed me a UPS tracking number and said the part would be on my doorstep the next day.

I like to think EVH stuck up for me.
    I've got the cure you're thinking of.<br />------------------<br />Remixed! Van Halen covers done by my band: <br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Dreams.mp3" target="_blank">Dreams</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Panama.mp3" target="_blank">Panama</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/Unchained.mp3" target="_blank">Unchained</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/AtomicPunk.mp3" target="_blank">Atomic Punk</a><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/SomebodyGetMeADoctor.mp3" target="_blank">Somebody Get Me a Doctor</a><br /><br />NEW: Burning Tires and Dr. Love:<br /><br /><a href="http://miraclefingers.synaesoft.com/HearAboutItLater.mp3" target="_blank">Hear About It Later</a>

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Much to my suprise, I got the nut, a shim, three locking clamps with screws, the neck mounting screws, washers, and lock washers, a new string retaining bar, and the two allen wrenches required to mount it all. About the only thing they didn't send me was a hot chick to blow me while I put the new nut on. Go EBMM
    I wish Eddie were still with Music Man. Nothing wrong with Peavey, but to me they're a PA System speaker company who happens to make guitar amps and guitars, not the other way around. I could be wrong....again....that's just my silly perception. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

I like that Ed has affordable versions of his axe on the market....I think that's great, but I also think EBMM could've done the same. They built a whole new factory for additional guitars only 2 years after Eddie left.

The whole thing is a shame, nothing against Peavey. I just think EBMM has a better grip, creatively speaking, and of course, with craftsmanship across mass-production. It would've been neat to see what other designs or configurations would've appeared, had he stayed with the company.

He's stated publicly that an arch top, double cutaway design was inevitable. That would've been cool. The craftsmanship on those guitars is so classy.

Is it necessary? No.

But it feels nice.

Maybe they would've slowly "nudged" Eddie into at least considering a non-locking Floyd tremolo, and by that I mean one with locking tuners, no locking nut, etc.

Maybe they would've tried some other woods? Who can say?

My impression of his work at Peavey is,

"...everybody, Eddie is coming today, so do whatever he asks, don't look him in the eye, don't shake his hand, and stay out of the way...."

Whereas I see a visit to the MusicMan shop going something like visiting Santa's elves, as if there are these musical nerds sitting at their benches playing odd looking instruments, and tweaking them to get new and different tones. Those pointy-eared freaks.....

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Yeah Majestic, I know what you are saying. I've owned a lot of guitars and amps in the past 17 years, and the one thing I've learned is that if you want a good guitar, go to a company that's primary, or only function is making guitars. Same with amps.
    I agree with you on the Wolfgang, I've owned 4 of them, and they are some great playing guitars, but I personally feel that the Axis is just better sounding for what I like to play. I also think that the workmanship is a little better than that of the Wolfgang. For instance, the pivot screws on the Floyd for the Axis just seem to be more durable and stable, and I was always having to tighten neck screws on the Wolfie to keep the neck from shifting.

I also like the way EBMM produces their guitars. The music store, or customer orders a guitar, and they make it. They don't just crank out guitars and hope they sell.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As some of you may have read on my earlier post, I recently acquired a Purple Axis at Guitar Center in Chicago in the used guitar section.
    When I got the guitar, it was in almost perfect condition, even had the plastic on the cavity covers.
    The only thing wrong with it, and I knew this when I got it, was that the Ass-Clown that had it before me cranked down on the Floyd nut and grooved the nut really badly. It sounded like a Sitar on the open B and G strings.
    Anyway, I went to my local Ernie Ball dealer, Flores Music in Peoria, and had them order me a new nut from Ernie Ball on Tuesday at about 2:30pm. The guys said it would be about $30. On Friday I went in to check and see if it had arrived, and it had.
    Now, for $30, I fully expected only to get the actual nut portion of the assembly that bolts to the neck, since I ordered it from the factory.
    Much to my suprise, I got the nut, a shim, three locking clamps with screws, the neck mounting screws, washers, and lock washers, a new string retaining bar, and the two allen wrenches required to mount it all. About the only thing they didn't send me was a hot chick to blow me while I put the new nut on.
    I was really impressed with what I got for my money, especially ordering from the manufacturer, where usually you get bent over hard.
    Go EBMM
    If they would've sent the hot chick to blow you while you put it on, you would've just put it on crooked anyway. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Majestic:
    I wish Eddie were still with Music Man. Nothing wrong with Peavey, but to me they're a PA System speaker company who happens to make guitar amps and guitars, not the other way around. I could be wrong....again....that's just my silly perception. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

I like that Ed has affordable versions of his axe on the market....I think that's great, but I also think EBMM could've done the same. They built a whole new factory for additional guitars only 2 years after Eddie left.

The whole thing is a shame, nothing against Peavey. I just think EBMM has a better grip, creatively speaking, and of course, with craftsmanship across mass-production. It would've been neat to see what other designs or configurations would've appeared, had he stayed with the company.

He's stated publicly that an arch top, double cutaway design was inevitable. That would've been cool. The craftsmanship on those guitars is so classy.

Is it necessary? No.

But it feels nice.

Maybe they would've slowly "nudged" Eddie into at least considering a non-locking Floyd tremolo, and by that I mean one with locking tuners, no locking nut, etc.

Maybe they would've tried some other woods? Who can say?

My impression of his work at Peavey is,

"...everybody, Eddie is coming today, so do whatever he asks, don't look him in the eye, don't shake his hand, and stay out of the way...."

Whereas I see a visit to the MusicMan shop going something like visiting Santa's elves, as if there are these musical nerds sitting at their benches playing odd looking instruments, and tweaking them to get new and different tones. Those pointy-eared freaks..... [/QB]
    Amen. All of Van Halen's problems started when EVH decided to leave Ernie Ball! That's a fact! Hehehehehehe!
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!