Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.03.05 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody have any idea how to do the intro to Mean Street? I cant seem to find any advice on the internet or in books on how to do that bit of Mean Street 'slap' playing that Eddie does in the Live Without A Net solo after Cathedral has finished, and I can work it out from watching the video either. Help!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just know a tiny bit of it. In the beginning use your thumb to hammer the low E string on 12, and your pointer and middle finger to hammer on the high E string and B string. Hope that helps a little. Anyone who knows how to do the rest can post now! There are alot of great guitarists here and they can probably help you.

------------------
    Nobody Rules These Streets at Night but me, The Atomic Punk!!!!!

"Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

guitar world has eddie himself tell you how to do it. it's thier 20th anniversery issue.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its not easy and takes a lot of practice-the tab is pretty easy to find. If you have not played long the tab might not mean much, its complicated- Eddie makes it look easy (see the live from the 10 spot/VH3 tour/MTV). The key is the percussive timing and not to much volume or dirt, turn the volume knob back a bit. If you just want to do the very beginning mute all the strings at the 5th fret and tap harmonic the low e at the 12th fret and the high e AND b string at the 5th fret. The effect is made by unmuting the strings as you tap back and forth between the low e and high e and b. Watch his hands. its pretty difficult to describe but get the tab and practice it. With that beginning and the groove of the entire song it is one of my favorites! Good luck!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

This is one that is not easily described. I could show you, but that's just not feasible. I'll try to explain. You have to get the rhythm between your two hands happening. You kinda slap the 12 fret low E with your thumb, and slap/tap the high E & B with your index/middle/ring or any combination there of. Your left hand is basically slapping the neck around the 3rd fret whenever you're not slapping with your right hand. Remember, the idea is realy percussive, so don't try to fret any notes while you're slapping/tapping with your right hand. Your thumb slaps quickly twice, then your fingers once. Repeat that pattern, and listen to the CD or LWAN video. You should start to pick it up. Good luck!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just thinkin guys, and it looks like when Eddie plays the intro, sometimes he leaves his left hand laid across the strings WHILE he's tapping at the 12th. I guess to kind of mute them a little bit? I don't know. But really, go back and watch LWAN very closely. I think it's just one of those things that's very hard to copy.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This slap thing was one of the last things that I learned of Eddie styles , and it takes a lot of time for me !
    Gotta say this first : If a guitarist don't got a good rithim feeling or quite it can't do this slap thing , 'cause finally is based all on rithim feeling and perfect sincronize of left and right hand ! ... Sincronize the two hands is quite difficult !
    Then with the right hand , the difficult part is giving the right force to the index finger on the 12 freet , kinda to hear the sound of the slap on the 12 fret ... The thumb is quite good , but the index was a problem for me !
    I started using index and middle finger on the 12 fret , giving so more force when slapping !
    Now I do the intro ... not perfect but quite good ! ... It's cool to do this slap thing adding some fast parts in tapping ! Cool ..... but first ... you gotta feel the rithim stuff with the two hands !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4

Listen to VHvault.com L.S.D. &
    Tribute Radio
    Member of The Van Halen Vault
    VHVault.com Inside 5150

DIAMOND MAFIA ... respect the family !