Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Stop Loving You
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know what an Ernie Ball EVH goes for these days? I got a 1992 model and it's the amber color just like he always played.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Varied prices. Is it a flame or quilt top, and what condition.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Stop Loving You
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought it new and havent played it a ton. It's quilted top a whole lot like the main one in Right here right now video

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Elmo:
    Does anyone know what an Ernie Ball EVH goes for these days? I got a 1992 model and it's the amber color just like he always played.
    I used to wheel and deal in EVH MMs' quite often, I'd find them for a guy in Japan.
    it's a really tricky question, if it is in good shape they usually went for $1700 to $2200 , mint was $2500 + and I've seen them go for $3000 but that all depends on the buyer and seller, if your an EVH nut like me and you have to have that color you'll get more from the right person.
    Don't even start on the rare colors thing, that was confusing as hell and just fyi the amber, purple and red were the most produced color of that guitar but because Ed played amber it gets a couple hundred more.
    I'm surprised no one caught the Amber EVHMM on ebay a few months ago it had a big gash on the back edge and the guy couldn't even get $1200 for it, if I had the $$ it would have ben gone.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to give you an idea, I paid 1500.00 for mine and it IS in mint condition. But I had to have a red one, the trans gold is nice in fact I have an Axis in that color it can be seen at SpaceTape.com
    (it's the one with the 5150 decal on it)but red and EVH just seem to go together..
    Dave

[ January 15, 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Space Tape ]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude, $1500 and it's mint? That's a steal and a half. SpaceTape, you fucker you, what's the serial number on that bad boy?

I paid $1500 for my first one, trans gold flametop, and it's in fantastic condition save for a corroded trem. But I didn't give a shit, it's one of the first 500 or earlier, depending on who you ask - Tribb knows what I'm talking about.

Then I got a blue quilt, and I ended up paying like $17-1800. The top is not immaculate, but it's not dinged to hell either. It has a few small dings, but looks much better thanks to the dudes at Ernie Ball. Put it this way, the top looks pretty fuckin clean. How much the guitar means to you and how much you're willing to pay within reason plays a big part as well.

I had both of em factory setup, buffed out, dings fixed on the blue one, etc. at Ernie Ball, and I spent money doing it, but hey, they're beautiful instruments and they have alot of history behind them. I waited almost ten years to own one, and now I own two.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 51501984:
    Since were on the subject I`ve heard that the necks on the EVH and Axis are slightly different?Hey Space Tape and Mighty Copenenhagen I`m very jealous of you two but also happy that you have some primo axes
    Well thanks m'man...On to the necks. Yea, it's pretty much an almost "Weekly mention" in here about the width of an axis compared to an EVH. When I was at Ernie Ball, the dude that hooked me up, brought out an Axis and was telling me differences about the two axes, since I asked him about the neck. I forget the exact width, but they made the Axis neck wider by like 1/32". This came about to compensate for the High E slipping off the fretboard as I was told.

Aside from the location of the selector switch, The EBMM EVH had handrubbed finishes, while the AXIS' do not. The dude didn't seem to be sure, If I remember, but I've heard other dudes say that the size of the Floyd/nut on the guitar has been changed to compesate for the neck. This is info from an Ernie Ball Rep. Now since Ed's neck was replicated using CADCAM systems, I don't know whether or not the AXIS still retains the "indentations" found on the EVH etc. I've never bought an AXIS, and probably won't unless I see just an amazing deal, since you can sometimes find a used EVH at a good price, only a little more than a new AXIS, or sometimes the same! Do I think the AXIS is a great guitar? Sure.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Since were on the subject I`ve heard that the necks on the EVH and Axis are slightly different?Hey Space Tape and Mighty Copenenhagen I`m very jealous of you two but also happy that you have some primo axes
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The floyd was slightly enlarged to match the neck, so if you're ordering a floyd for an original EVH be sure to let them know it's not for an axis.
    The rear cavities have extra routing on the axis, and the worn spot on the neck isn't there either.
    Also, the early EVH's like TheMightyCopenHalenII's had a different looking pickup before they were standardized.
    You have to look at the back of the pickup to see it though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    The floyd was slightly enlarged to match the neck, so if you're ordering a floyd for an original EVH be sure to let them know it's not for an axis.
    The rear cavities have extra routing on the axis, and the worn spot on the neck isn't there either.
    Also, the early EVH's like TheMightyCopenHalenII's had a different looking pickup before they were standardized.
    ya know what's funny about this whole thing ?
    the neck was supposedly copied from the 5150, yet the 5150 has an R-3 nut (1 11\16") and the MM had an R-2 (1-5\8") now there if there is one thing you can tell for sure is the difference between an R2 and an R3 I *think* just my opinion that that whole story is BS just something to try and make that neck sound special
    my 2 cents
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    the neck was supposedly copied from the 5150, yet the 5150 has an R-3 nut (1 11\16") and the MM had an R-2 (1-5\8") now there if there is one thing you can tell for sure is the difference between an R2 and an R3 I *think* just my opinion that that whole story is BS just something to try and make that neck sound special
    my 2 cents
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]There's a big difference between an R2 and R3 nut, and I also heard that his 5150 neck was flat and wide so that makes sense.
    From what I understand though, the EVH neck was shaped from his "favourite" neck. We're obviously not talking about the same neck, since he had a no. of different 5150 guitars.
    They tried copying it a number of times by other methods but couldn't get it to his satisfaction till they brought that digital copying whatchmacallit machine from Switzerland.
    Apparently that sucker copies to within a 50,000th of an inch, and made EVH neck based on Ed's favorite, even copying the wear spots.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    my 2 cents
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]There's a big difference between an R2 and R3 nut, and I also heard that his 5150 neck was flat and wide so that makes sense.
    From what I understand though, the EVH neck was shaped from his "favourite" neck. We're obviously not talking about the same neck, since he had a no. of different 5150 guitars.
    They tried copying it a number of times by other methods but couldn't get it to his satisfaction till they brought that digital copying whatchmacallit machine from Switzerland.
    Apparently that sucker copies to within a 50,000th of an inch, and made EVH neck based on Ed's favorite, even copying the wear spots.
    </font>[/QUOTE]There was only one (1) 5150 guitar that was his main guitar after he retired the Franky, yes he had a ton of striped Kramers but only one 5150.
    and yes I agree it *could* have been a different guitar neck but I seriously doubt it since that 5150 neck suposedly had the peghead cut by him and the thing shaped for him while he waited at the Nepyune factory, and that comes from a pretty good source.
    Rol.

[ January 17, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: rolsguitars ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what you're saying in effect is that he never copied the EBMM EVH neck off any guitar, but just made the neck shape up as a ploy to sell these guitars?
    In which case the people at EBMM, Sterling Ball included, are also lying about the machine needed to copy the dimensions of the neck.

Actually, I'm just looking at a review of the guitar in guitar player magazine after it came out.
    They say:
    "One item that will surprise you right off is how small-scaled, deep, and round the neck is- not at all what you'd expect from the tapper who inspired the hairdo masses to buy guitars with wide, thin necks, and flat fingerboards (actually it's a computer-digitized reproduction of a neck from one of ed's old kramers). Still it fit's like a glove with the super low action"...blah blah blah, etc...

I'd have to dig up the guitar player interview where Ed talks about it as well, stating that it was a copy of one of his favorite old Kramers, but I don't remember seeing anywhere he said it was a copy of his 5150 guitar.
    I'll dig up that magazine though, cause I could be mistaken.
    I just can't see him selling the first guitar he'd ever put out with his name and signature on it, based on a lie as important as the neck of the instrument.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what you're saying in effect is that he never copied the EBMM EVH neck off any guitar, but just made the neck shape up as a ploy to sell these guitars?
    In which case the people at EBMM, Sterling Ball included, are also lying about the machine needed to copy the dimensions of the neck.

Actually, I'm just looking at a review of the guitar in guitar player magazine after it came out.
    They say:
    "One item that will surprise you right off is how small-scaled, deep, and round the neck is- not at all what you'd expect from the tapper who inspired the hairdo masses to buy guitars with wide, thin necks, and flat fingerboards (actually it's a computer-digitized reproduction of a neck from one of ed's old kramers). Still it fit's like a glove with the super low action"...blah blah blah, etc...

I'd have to dig up the guitar player interview where Ed talks about it as well, stating that it was a copy of one of his favorite old Kramers, but I don't remember seeing anywhere he said it was a copy of his 5150 guitar.
    I'll dig up that magazine though, cause I could be mistaken.
    I just can't see him selling the first guitar he'd ever put out with his name and signature on it, based on a lie as important as the neck of the instrument.
    he says favorite Kramer neck you are right, it's my fault to assume it was the 5150, but since that was his main guitar one would assume that is the one they copied it from, and after all the misleading statements ove the years and him even finally saying he used to mis lead people it wouldn't suprise me.
    I do know that all of the Kramer necks I know about were made 1 11\16" that came from his guitar techs (second hand) because he liked them wide .
    The point is moot really it was just my opinion, I know I couldn't make an R3 neck feel like an R2.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm...Ok.

Eddie went through necks quite a bit, as is my understanding. I'm not inclined to believe that the 5150 had a "wide, flat neck" such as was the case on Edward's earlier guitars, Danelectro necks among them. But I'm not saying none of the Kramer's did. Sammy himself said, "the neck feels too skinny up and down, but it's thickness is not too bad", when referring to most likely Ed's 5150, his main axe at the time. That is an assumption on my part, because nowhere did Eddie actually SAY "the 5150" and so forth.

Again whether or not it was the 5150, remains a mystery, which I'm sure Rol has done quite a bit of research and what not, but has he physically seen the actual nut and measured them himself? If it went through more than one neck, then is it entirely impossible a later neck, etc., had a different nut size?

I'm not knocking anyone here, but just exploring possibilities. I do think it's a little strange that Music Man would fabricate a story that was pretty much a hassle for them, just to satisfy Edward, and produce the instrument. I do however believe and do not doubt in my mind that they would and did go to those lengths to appease Edward's approval of the neck.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!