Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there guys.

I used Cool Edit Pro last night. I'd downloaded a few drum tracks, and I just had this standard 4/4 drum pattern going on on one track.

I then started recording the guitar over the top of it. Now, I was definitely playing in time with the drum pattern, but when I played it back, it was as though someone had "stretched" the length of the guitar recording a little bit.

i.e. it started out OK and in time with the drums, but then the guitar started falling behind the drums.

This was really annoying me, and I couldn't find out what I was doing wrong. It had been happening with the Metronome initially.

Now, I was using my Laptop (purely for ease of use) and it only has a microphone socket and headphone socket.

I'm going to re-install it on my P.C. tonight to see if I get different results with the better soundcard. I don't remember having this problem with the metronome when I had the evaluation copy installed on it before.

Any ideas, or do you reckon it's just the Craptop ?

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:
    Hi there guys.

I used Cool Edit Pro last night. I'd downloaded a few drum tracks, and I just had this standard 4/4 drum pattern going on on one track.

I then started recording the guitar over the top of it. Now, I was definitely playing in time with the drum pattern, but when I played it back, it was as though someone had "stretched" the length of the guitar recording a little bit.

i.e. it started out OK and in time with the drums, but then the guitar started falling behind the drums.

This was really annoying me, and I couldn't find out what I was doing wrong. It had been happening with the Metronome initially.

Now, I was using my Laptop (purely for ease of use) and it only has a microphone socket and headphone socket.

I'm going to re-install it on my P.C. tonight to see if I get different results with the better soundcard. I don't remember having this problem with the metronome when I had the evaluation copy installed on it before.

Any ideas, or do you reckon it's just the Craptop ?

HI,

sorry I can't help I'm new to the recording thing, all the stuff you hear from m e was done in the last month i'm just learning the recording thing myself
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Probably just your laptop. Latency can be a problem with under powered computers, and notebooks are famous for latency. Try it on your PC. What kind of horsepower does your desktop have?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ive had the same problems a few weeks ago, maybe youll have to put the samplerate down? i think its the configuration of your desktop and cool edit (not the hardware), but from here its hard to tell...

anyway, if you have a good and fast internet-connection you should download cubase... i dont have had any problems in cubase, works very well...

EDIT:

and i know... im not rols, tribb or homeunit

[ January 17, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by homeunit:
    Probably just your laptop. Latency can be a problem with under powered computers, and notebooks are famous for latency. Try it on your PC. What kind of horsepower does your desktop have?
    Thanks for the responses guys. I thought as much. I'll give it a bash on the desktop. I just haven't got round to it as work has been busy and I went on a stag do to Edinburgh this weekend.

Desktop is a 1Ghz Athlon with 640MB of RAM. Soundcard is Soundblaster 1024+ Live (if I remember rightly). Not top of the range by today's standards, but it should be better than the craptop I was using...

I'll let you know how it pans out...

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>