Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pickups are different for one thing. Both guitars had the pickups designed to work
    best with that guitar. The Musicman's are
    a little smoother, while the Wolfgangs are
    hotter and more trebly. The same concept is
    used on both guitars, but they are different from one another. The necks feel similar but not the same. Of course some people will say the EBMM is the better guitar because Peavey mass produces them. I have two Wolfgangs and I love 'em. No problems at all. I would like to get a EBMM one day, but the trouble is finding one that hasn't been ragged out. It all depends on taste and
    $money$.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to the guitar room here, this is my first post in this forum actually. I would appreciate any info anyone might have regarding the diffences between the Wolfgang and the EB Music Man EVH model.

I recently bought a Wolfgang Special and a 5150 Combo. I've often wondered why Ed dropped his association with Ernie Ball and if there are any major differences between the two guitars (Other than the location of the toggle switch, and the headstock tuner configuration), If any one has any input I would be very interested in hearing it.

Thank You in advance,

NotABozo

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

congrats on your new amp and wolf!! the differences arent really that much...headstock..countoured body...pickup selector...i think he quit using music man because they couldnt produce enough guitars to meet the demand...theyre all hand made...ive played one a couple of times...its an excellent guitar..id really like to get one..theyre a little pricey though...oh well ...keep rockin!!!

whatisunderstoodneednotbediscussed

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This topic has been done in full, and if you go back a no. of posts you can find it.
    Quickly though, since you're a new poster, I can tell you (without knocking wolfgang standards)that the EBMM is a better made instrument. Better harmonics, and a more vocal kind of tone, as well as being built like a tank, and able to take lots of punishment.
    They also sound better through the Line 6 POD, which I'm developing a new respect for.
    I should add that we're talking about the EBMM "EVH", NOT the Axis, which to me doesn't feel or sound like the same guitar.
    If you have to choose between an Axis and a wolf standard, take the wolf.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited November 23, 2000 at 01:01 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    This topic has been done in full, and if you go back a no. of posts you can find it.
    Quickly though, since you're a new poster, I can tell you (without knocking wolfgang standards)that the EBMM is a better made instrument. Better harmonics, and a more vocal kind of tone, as well as being built like a tank, and able to take lots of punishment.
    They also sound better through the Line 6 POD, which I'm developing a new respect for.
    I should add that we're talking about the EBMM "EVH", NOT the Axis, which to me doesn't feel or sound like the same guitar.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited November 23, 2000 at 01:01 PM).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'Axis' is still a good guitar though, right? Exact same pickups as the 'EVH'.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bcgvh, I'm not trying to make enemies here, but I'm gonna be honest. I wouldn't say the Axis is a "bad" guitar. I'm sure EBMM puts what they consider quality into them, and I'm sure most of them are tough, good playing instruments. In my case though, the neck on mine warped, and the pickups were kind of fuzzy sounding. they didn't cut through like the EVH. I've played a few Axis's since then and have found the sound to be different on each one, but not like the EVH. I've played at least 15 EVH's and while they're slightly diff. too, they each have a sound that's instantly recognizable as an EVH. My friends who've tried and own the Axis feel the same about the sound.
    Here's an experiment you can try if you own an Axis. Recently I unscrewed the pickups from 1 of my EVH's and put a small block of foam under each one. The foam acts like a spring without affecting anything else sound wise. I was able to move the pickup closer to the strings, which gave me a brighter, cleaner sound. Because the trem only goes down, the strings actually raise when you push down on the trem., and don't interfere with the pickups at all. I get more clarity from the pickups this way, and it's a snap to remove the foam down the road if I feel it necessary. Just make sure the treble side of the pickup is a little higher than the bass side, to bring out the top end a bit more. Also, because the neck pickup is slightly hotter than the bridge p/u, make sure it stays a little lower to keep the volume even, when using the toggle to switch back and forth. Experiment a bit, moving them up or down slightly till it sounds right to your ears. I'm sure it would work well on the Axis too.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited November 23, 2000 at 01:01 PM).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh....what Axis did you get a hold of dude? If I had to chose between a wolf and an Axis I would take the Axis...oh, about...10 out of 10 times. Personally, I don't like the wolf...much. They both look beautiful, but the Axis is BY FAR the better feeling, better sounding, better playing guitar. The craftmanship that Music Man puts into them is unmatched. Of course, this is just my personal opinion here.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alchemy:

Uh....what Axis did you get a hold of dude? If I had to chose between a wolf and an Axis I would take the Axis...oh, about...10 out of 10 times. Personally, I don't like the wolf...much. They both look beautiful, but the Axis is BY FAR the better feeling, better sounding, better playing guitar. The craftmanship that Music Man puts into them is unmatched. Of course, this is just my personal opinion here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Axis is a good guitar, but I also agree with Tribb and think the Wolf Special is better than the Axis. I've never played an EVH music man so, I don't even know where to find a used one, other than ebay, but there's no way I'd buy off there. Anyways, so I can't really compare the differences between the EVH and the Axis. Some day I will more than likely buy an Axis though. By the way, I'm gonna be getting me a brand new Wolf Special in about a week or so. Hopefully an Amber Flametop. Can't wait.