On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After tons of research I have gone through many many different kinds of amps. From mesas to crates and all inbetween. I need a stack for future gigs and I love a loud amp. I was going to get a mesa boogie buts its too expensive and I really think that sound is just ment for modern heavy rock, which is ok but I need a wider range of tones. So iam going to get a marshall, but which one . I of course love the vanhalen 1 tone, i like ozzy, megadeth, alice in chians, malmsteen, vai and satch. Which marshall amp would be the best?
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Get a mid-70s JMP. Classic Marshall bark, with a vintage vibe to them. Slap a tubescreamer in front for leads, and you'll be on your way.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I respectfully disagree with Jape Man. If you need a 'wide range' of tones, Marshall isn't the place to look. I know they look cool, and all your friends will admire you for it, but they are expensive and not particularly versatile.

If you need a LOT of sounds, try the Line 6 Flextone stuff, or maybe a Peavey Ultra. Volume is easy; good tones, and plenty of them, is not.

I have made this point several times, and I will make it again. Too many young players feel incomplete or like 'lesser' musicians if they don't have a big, preferably old Marshall, amp to lug around. While owning one is cool, that's not enough reason to justify buying one. There are more affordable and versatile tube amps on the market (Peavey, Carvin, etc), and there are even MORE good-sounding affordable solid state amps around. With the advances made in modeling, simulations, etc., tube amps are becoming less and less necessary.

So, and I'm not trying to be a prick here, answer yourself this question: Do I want a good loud amp that will cover all the sounds I could want for an affordable cost, or do I want to have a Marshall at ANY cost?

This Marshall-as-status-symbol thing bugs the hell out of me. What makes an amp cool is its ability to allow you to play what you want to play, with the sounds you want to hear, with the people you want to play/perform with, etc, NOT the lettering on the front. There are also MANY multi-effect pedals/rack mountable preamps with effects out there that will give you a ton of tones; all you would need to do is make them louder.

I have seen TOO MANY kids fall in love with the idea of having a Marshall, and they save and save and save for a LONG time to get one. After a month they begin questioning their choice. After 2 they RESENT the choice. After 3 months, they were usually found trying to sell it, at a big loss to boot.

I have no personal vendetta against Marshalls, but Marshalls seem to be the biggest name in this mentality. A Marshall stack is a very specific item for a player who has 'their' sound down; it is NOT for a newer player who needs to make MANY sounds.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the bands you mentioned, Jape Man's right on the money. If you can't find or afford a mid 70's model, go for an 800 series head. The circuitry in those heads is virtually the same as the 77-78 heads. It was after the 800 series that the marshall sound started changing, and when they came out with the 900 series, forget it.
    The 50 watt heads in a half stack will be loud enough for any venue you'll play. If it's not you'll have to mic. it through the p.a.
    I use a 50 watt head through a 4x12 cab. and it's fine for clubs of up to 250 people, although even then you want to close mic. it for better all round sound. Larger than that, even a 100 watt would just be crushing on stage, and would have to be mic'd anyway.
    The cabinet plays a big part as well. If you can get one with older speakers, like vintage 30's or green or blackbacks go for it, but if not, the 800 series cabs are pretty good too.
    Again, just stay away from the 900 series cabs.
    The TS-10 pedal is great for increasing your gain, but if you want more over drive at lower volumes check out a boss overdrive, or super overdrive pedal as well. Satriani uses one, as do a couple of the other players you mentioned.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to concur, don't mess with the Marshall 900 series...I absolutely hate those things.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Eruption
    Last Online

Thanks Tribb, I knew you'd back me up. Abe, I am unaware that people use Marshalls as status symbols. I never have. The old JMPS are not nearly as expensive as many of the more popular amps on the market today, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. As for tones, a single channel tube amp is more versitile than you might think. What do you need other than clean, crunch, and lead? Pedals can help you get any other effected-types of tones.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape: I wasn't implying that you use your Marshall as a status symbol. I hope you didn't get that impression. I have known dozens of guitarists who had to have a Marshall just to 'have a Marshall'. When you know what you NEED as a player, and you choose a Marshall based on that, that's one thing. When you are young and still looking for 'your sound', or a wide variety of sounds, there are many more choices available.

The same goes for Fender; so many players feel they need to have a Fender amp, not because they really NEED that brand, but because it's a staple for some styles of music. (same goes with Strats, Les Pauls, etc).

If you read the first post in this thread, it says "I need a wider range of tones....I am going to get a Marshall....which Marshall amp would be best?". From those words, you can see that he hasn't been out playing through all the Marshalls in the world to find out what he'd like; he is ASSUMING that a Marshall will give him the sounds he's looking for. And while maybe a Marshall IS exactly the amp he wants, judging by his words, he seems to want a Marshall because it is a Marshall, as he isn't familiar with their sounds. (after all the logic I had to study for proof-writing, the end statement is NOT justified by the means: I need X sounds, I don't know what the Marshalls all sound like...I am going to get a Marshall, but which one, since I haven't heard them? Logically, the rationale for getting a Marshall just doesn't exist here.)

That is what makes me look for an ulterior motive for wanting a Marshall. Jump back to the 70's for a moment, and replace the object in question: I am looking for a jacket. I want it to be useful for everything from slightly chilly weather to a blizzard and everything in between. Which London Fog do I need? Why would the 'needs' be satisfied by a London Fog, when you haven't checked them out yet? If you were familiar with the line, you would already know which one suits your needs (if at all). If you don't know what they have, how would you know you needed a London Fog? Simple-it was 'THE' name to have back then. Same thing applies to Marshall amps; it is 'THE' name to have, even before auditioning the things.

Just follow the pattern: I don't know what amp I need, I don't know which Marshalls do what, but I know I am getting a Marshall. See the disjointed logic?

Again, I am NOT saying that a Marshall is 'wrong'; I am merely suggesting that there are MANY other choices to check out that can do just as good if not a BETTER job, and in many cases, for less money, than a Marshall.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Eruption
    Last Online

Fair enough.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good posts guys. Finally some heat in the guitar forum..lol
    On one hand your right AVH. A lot of guys, and I know some as well, use marshalls as a kind of status symbol, not really understanding what they want, or need. That can be a joke when guys try to cover up their mistakes with volume.
    On the other hand I agreed with Jape Man because he plays a marshall based on it's sound, and plays it professionally, so he's well aware of the variations in sound they really have if you use them correctly.
    Also, if we all read EVH's posts correctly he said he's already tried a whack of amps and therefore I have to assume Marshall was in that bunch somewhere. From what I read I based what I said on the possible fact that he'd picked a marshall and was wondering about the tones different models produce. While I agree that line 6 is a good amp to get a variety of tones, probably the best solid state amp as a matter of fact, it sounds like EVH has tried and approved a marshall. I don't know that for sure though. The peavey ultra will also do a good job, no complaints there, but for pound for pound punch I haven't seen an amp that'll give you the warm kind of output that hits like a brick, yet still sings, like a good marshall. It's also a very forgiving amp, allowing you to use a no. of different pedals to alter the sound without losing the "marshall" sound. You can't say that about a lot of other amps, like the 5150(sorry guys).
    I've heard marshalls get a really good powerful fender sound when used with the right guitar and pedal, but I can't say the same about fenders sounding like a marshall.
    I don't think EVH wants to spend a small fortune for a Mesa triaxis, so I think marshall is a good way to go, based on it's sound.
    Again, I think marshalls produce a very unique sound on there own. That's why a lot of big name guitarists have used them, and still continue to use them in the studio and live, even if it's backstage out of the public eye [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    I know, as I'm sure you do too, that a lot of well known players use them in the studio, even though they don't endorse them in live situations.
    Do I sound Biased? You bet.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on Tribb!!!!!I went to guitar center awhile ago and tried many amps. Mesa is just too expensive for me. I listened to the line 6 amps they were ok. I heard someone play bark at the moon, I was far enough away where i couldn't see what amp he was using. When I heard the sound I got goosebumps, wow it has that sound; the deep powerfull tone. It was a tsl 2000 or something like that. Those can be expensive thats why I need to know if there were any alternative marshalls out there. I saw a jcm 800 but it was in a back room with out a cab so I didnt try it, and i didn't have the money then. If any body has this cd(you all should)guns n roses live era, listen to move to the city and listen. I love that sound...listen at 3:25 cool sound, I know he using pinch harmonics. Any way thats the sound Im looking for. I heard the new avts were good so this weekend ill give em a test. also listen to the solo after they introduce the band,, third pickup right???? The good ol blues pickup.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-