Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love effects. I admit it, and I am not ashamed. I never much cared for a dry guitar sound. I don't load them on enough to bury my sound, but I like some air and ambience at all times.

I have found that I follow a strange pattern: in the winter, I use more delay, and little reverb. In the summer, I use reverb more, but little delay. Weird, huh?

To me, I think of it more as 'processing' than 'effects'. I generally set something up and leave it on most, if not all, of the way through the song. The way I perceive them, it's a part of the overall sound; the effects become a part of the instrument, much like a synth programmer creates odd sounds and uses them as a new voice altogether.

There are so many players (and fans) who complain when a guitarist doesn't go dry, and they site Hendrix and early VH as examples, yet those guys used more 'effects' than I do. Jimi's Univibe, Fuzz, wah, etc., and Eddie's phaser, flanger, and reverb added in the studio are quite 'effected'. Somehow, people think that if someone uses any effects, they aren't a 'real' player. These are usually the same guys who complain about overdubs.

And if you really think about it, using ANY type of overdrive or distortion is the MOST drastic of any effect-it dominates the sound over anything else. Yet many people refuse to acknowledge that distortion is indeed an effect.

Where do you guys stand when it comes to effects? Purists, junkies, or somewhere in between?
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think in winter as your ears dry out, you need a little more rerverb. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Somewhere in between. My tone is pretty dry, I do use a few stomp boxes and once in a while kick my Boss DD-3 delay on for certain tunes. I know a guy who used a ton of effects, thinking he was covering up all his mistakes. Truth was that his tone was so muddy and his playing was so lazy that it just sounded horrible. He had that ultra-processed tone which to me doesn't sound good at all, no crunch.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of the time I use a little Chorus, Delay, and Reverb. When I'm feeling a little frisky I either Flange out or Wah it out. I'm really not into the Tremolo effect or Vibrato effect on an amp. I piddled with a Harmonizer once but I got that Steve Vai over processed tone that I don't like. Give me Overdrive from an amp, a little Echo, Chorus, and Reverb, and I'm a happy man.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe in Brett's rule of thumb as well. I keep my DD-3 in the loop on all the time. The amount of delay depends on the accoustics of the club. Sometimes hardly any and sometimes quite a bit. No reverb though, and very sparse chorus, flange, or wah, to start off songs, or solo, and that's about it. I don't really even use a phaser any more cause with a high gain amp it doesn't seem to add much. The tone is beefier without it. Like you guys I don't like processed sound, even though I think Steve Vai is incredible. For some reason most of his sound doesn't sound processed to me at all. I think guys like hendrix relied on the fuzz face and that because at that time marshalls had a set amount of gain and Hendrix was looking for more. No one had taken it to the level of Ed yet by forcing the amp itself to do the work and create more gain.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I was playing in a one guitar band I used to use a Boss Digital Dimensions pedal, which mimiced Ed's harmanized effect circa 5150 tour. I love the thing but in a two guitar band I don't think you can really use much in the way of effects like that. My guitar tone was so huge that it sonicly chewed up a bunch of space which works well in a 3 peice.

I love a good tube tone aka Triple Rectifier. It's not muddy, and it leaves some room for your bass player and kick-drum.

For clean stuff, I go with whatever works, which is generally my digital Dimensions pedal.

As far as delay goes, I don't use it for dirty tones at all. I've always played with a pretty dry signal and have found that the delay just takes away from my attack. If I need a note or cord delayed, I've always just got our soundman to do it for me. This is because I rarely use it and don't want to be running my signal through a stomp box that gets used for 3 seconds a night. Also if you have a regular sound guy, you can get him to place your singnal in the middle and have him place your delay (or effect) on the right, then left (following the effect speed) of the mix which sounds cool out front

When I hear a guitar, I like to hear wood, and/or tubes, and if you give a good listen to the Live Without a Net vid, Ed's got wood and tube sound even with all that jap.

I think it comes down to what type of music your doing. My stuff is somewhat heavy, so wetness turns to mud pretty quick.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All I'm going to say is digital effects suck poo and I'm going back to Analog. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfman you've got such a poetic way of putting things..lol
    Point clearly made though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What do you mean by analogue as opposed to digital though. Did you mean pedals or rackmount stuff?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    Wolfman you've got such a poetic way of putting things..lol
    Point clearly made though. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What do you mean by analogue as opposed to digital though. Did you mean pedals or rackmount stuff?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Well, both pedals and rackmount actually. But particularly the rackmount gear. I just think these multieffect units (Digitech, Art, etc.) have such unrealistic sound, especially when it comes to delay-based effects (Flanging, delay, chorus). I'll take the old TC Electronics and MXR units over anything if I could afford them right now. problem is, because my '74 MKII has no built-in reverb, I went out abou ten years ago and bought an ART SGE Mach II. I've grown consistently dissatisfied with it.

Another funny thing, I used to use a rackmounted Chandler Tube Driver as a preamp, and got a great "Brown Sound". Ended up buying a Marshall 9001 preamp because it was... a Marshall (figured I couldn't go wrong there, right?) I wish I had never gotten rid of that Chandler unit now. Both the Marshall and Art have so many level controls, I have to readjust everything each time I play in a different place. I just want to plug in and go. I thought I was being sophisticated when I went to rackmount gear. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ART is the bottom of the multi-effects barrel. Digitech and Alesis make some great affordable gear. Some digital stuff works just fine, but ART usually does NOT.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    ART is the bottom of the multi-effects barrel. Digitech and Alesis make some great affordable gear. Some digital stuff works just fine, but ART usually does NOT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. But 10 years ago, Art's Marketing push was good and moved a lot of units thanks to hapless suckers like myself. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]