Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replica guitars

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dont wanna rant;
    I was just thinking how glad i am that all replica sites have been shut down.If you think about it,the original frankenstrat was made for $130 dollars.you have people like Rol who gouge people for over $1000 of dollars.I made my frankenstrat for $200 dollars.I can see why ed closed them down.i would be pissed too if someone sold my design.gotta protect what is yours.
    wake up people and make your own guitars.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, the original Franky cost that much just for the body and neck, and that was back in the 70's. Add inflation, and figure out what it would cost today.

Second, you say you built one for $200? New parts? What kind of wood? Is that the total cost, hardware, electronics, etc? Did you tear apart other guitars to do it? If so, their costs factor in as well.

Third, Ed only shut down commercial production of a paint job (and vaguely at that), not the whole guitar.

Fourth, Rols does his guitars by hand; he doesn't have a factory to produce them en masse. That WILL add to the cost, but it also guarantees a high degree of quality control. I haven't heard anyone who has dealt with him complain of being "gouged". I am curious about how your homemade guitar matches up against his.

Fifth, some people don't want to build their own guitars. I, for one, buy it, and THEN tear it apart and do what I want with it. If I could afford to have it done by someone else, I probably would.

I don't have a problem with Ed protecting his 'design', but going after guys who make a handful of guitars a year seems senseless. If anything, businesses like that help EVH, not harm him.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A good Floyd Rose now would cost you over 200. Not to mention if you get warmoth to make you a quality neck and body of that style the way you want it, it will cost you a pretty nice little chunk of change. Not to mention electronics. As for Rol, I think he probably kept his margins of profit down because it was his hobby and he loved doing it, not for the money.
    BTW Wonder how Rol's custom line is coming along?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My frank use to be a fender strat.it was a once in a lifetime deal.i guess you could say that i was in the right place at the right time.all of the parts were already there.no,it doesnt have a floyd,but neither did the original.I would put my frank up against anyones,anytime.how i made mine,or the parts for that much,really doesnt matter.what matters is the original "spirit " of the frankenstrat.a shitty piece of guitar that created some of the most memorable music of the past 25 to 30 years.you talk about quality.how much quality do you need?Eds frank was a piece of shit.if you want a $1000 dollar guitar,go buy a PRS or some other high priced insturment i do have a problem with someone who charges so much to reproduce a $130 dollar guitar.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Yeah, and it cost $2.00 to go see that brand new movie Star Wars back then, too.

It would cost at least $600 for *THE PARTS ALONE* nowadays .....don't kid yourself.

Let me ask you this....how much did you drop on the 3 cans of spray paint, and appropriate wet/dry sand paper?

You're only counting the value of the parts....not the labor, which may in fact be Edward Van Halen's trump card.

His re-winding of the pickup (by his account) alone took him a few hours, and many attempts, not counting the surf wax potting of the pickup to control feedback.

You could've been working overtime and making loads of cash instead of spending the week it takes to paint a Franky.

Time = money

So let me get this straight......you *happened* upon a quality Strat, and now you're going to log onto this board, and make some claim that people shouldn't drop $1000 on guitars that replicate instruments of one the world's finest musicians....EVER?!?!?

You're at a FAN-based website, you PUTZ! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Re-think your approach the next time you want to log on and spew vomit all over the internet.

Hell, the NECK alone would cost $130 these days.

Do you really think you can fit just any old neck to any random body, and get it to work? What about the fit, or the action? Doubt it.

Do you think an Axis or a Wolfgang would be worth $1000 to anyone who doesn't play guitar, and isn't a Van Halen "fanatic"?? Doubt it.

You think Rol is gouging people?? Doubt it.

Either way, this is America....nobody is forcing anyone to enlist Rol's services, yet he has many, many loyal customers across the internet.

I'll tell you what.....if you do such quality work compared to Rol, post a pic so we can compare.

The trick behind making and painting your own guitar isn't *just* the parts....it's the craft. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

give someone a keyboard and a modem and they think they are a damn luthier.Idiot.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by redcrow:
    i do have a problem with someone who charges so much to reproduce a $130 dollar guitar.
    then don't buy it. what's the problem? no one's got a gun to your head saying you've gotta buy one...

know what this guy's pissed about? Ed shut down replica makers before Redcrow could start up his own replica business. he got shut out of the money...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by redcrow:
    I dont wanna rant;
    I was just thinking how glad i am that all replica sites have been shut down.If you think about it,the original frankenstrat was made for $130 dollars.you have people like Rol who gouge people for over $1000 of dollars.I made my frankenstrat for $200 dollars.I can see why ed closed them down.i would be pissed too if someone sold my design.gotta protect what is yours.
    wake up people and make your own guitars.
    I'm a pretty easy going guy and everyone has a right to an opinion but I must say you have no clue what your talking about, I offered something to people who didn't want to pay $1600 from GMW or $2000 from Ed Roman, and I made them just as good, well actually better, I havn't gouged anyone nor forced anyone to buy one I did a calculation on the time it took me to make one and it came out to a little over $7 an hour,
    I also did not use existing guitars they were from scratch with all quality parts.
    get a clue
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rol's prices was fair! if his site was still open i buy more from him!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hey redcrow

My Band
    Baluchitherium

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

[img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Hey Redcrow, now that we've let you know what we think of your message [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] .....seriously.....why don't you post a picture of your guitar anyway?

I don't really expect it stand up to Rol's, but you may still get some admiration from around here. We're all VH fans.

And who knows....you may even get a warmer welcome and a fresh start. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahahaha @ homeunit

checkmate.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good one "homeunit" !! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] well said

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since Tribb hasn't posted it yet . The Franky wasn't a piece of shit. The paint job wasn't top quality but everything else was top notch. It had a quality Ellsworth Ash body which turned out to be a perfect tonal match for the Gibson PAF pickup(yeah when I think of a vintage Gibson PAF, POS is the first thing that comes to mind ) The Charvel neck was a quality maple neck and something of that calibre will run you about $150 in the Warmoth bargain bin. Oh and that trem from the 59 Strat, who would want that antique hunk of metal

I'm being a sarcastic asshole to you because you attacked someone who I consider a friend and a damn fine guitar builder. You call Rol a price gouger when he made far superior replicas than anyone out there and charged less than every one of them. You know why Rol's gutiars cost more than yours besides the fact that you got a "once in a lifetime deal"? Your guitar is mass produced, that's not a knock to Fender I own mass produced guitars that are great but Rol's gutiars were hand made with the highest quality components you could have. Go to someone besides Rol to have a guitar hand made for you for $1000 and see if you don't get laughed at.

I suppose next you're going to tell us that Ed's Marshall was a POS because plexi's costed a lot less back then.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have to chime in too on this. the franky did have a 59 strat bridge and a 1961? gibson humbucker both vintage parts and the body and neck where nice toney peices of wood. the paint job and the pickgaurd just made it more homemade looking. eddie fucked up alot of guitars so he must of had some money to dick around. the body and neck were the 130.00 dollar part and that was in 76/77 all the other parts ed already had from his favorite guitars.afterwards when he started chopping it up and drilling theholes and beating it up on stage and from touring it started lookin real ghetto. as for rol he worked with people on how they wanted their guitars done. if you already had parts or just wanted a paint job or wanted advice he would do it all. he didnt demand you buy the certain model guitar like other peeps.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.