Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: slaving an amp

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Just wanted to get some opinions on whether you guys (who have done it) like the sound of slaving your amp over not slaving it. I play professionally, and I'm considering doing it. I was going to start slaving my Marshall, send the signal thru some delays in my Bradshaw rig, and power it back thru 4x12s with a power amp. Also, anyone know where I could get an H&H power amp?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I think you need to go to europe to get H&H gear!

I've sorta done the slaving route where I split the signal via a spx900, then ran into a power amp and had one side dry and one wet!
    I really really liked that setup, I found that I had a lot of control over my tone and the effects sounded more a part of the sound, not just added to it IMHO. The only reason I didn't keep doing it was cost if lost and space.
    I don't know if this helps, good luck and let us know if you find a H&H p/a anywhere, I looked for one back in 92-93 and had no luck!

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4
    "back to you, underpants" -Big Red Allan

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape,
    I am getting ready to do the same thing and have posted sone questions but have got vey few responses. I think you need a speaker emulator to drive your signal off your marshall but I am not sure. I also think any solid state power amp will do, I know it would be nice to have the H&H but I dont think that will matter. I think I am going to run two cabs in stereo out of my lexicon MPX 500 with some detune (chorus) and delay, and a dry cab off my 5150 head. I am just waiting to get the cash together. Do I need to seperate power amps to run two cabinets? I dont think so....let me know what you think and if you get it running. Maybe I can learn from your mistakes!!!lol
    Marc

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

If you guys are going for something like I had, no you don't need two p/a or a speaker emulator! between your proccessor and your p/a (stereo) you can split it just fine

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Eruption
    Last Online

No guys, I'm talking about "slaving." It's when you take the speaker output of your head and send it to a load box (speaker simulator, THD Hotplate, Powerbrake etc.) so it gets reduced to line level. Then it goes thru your effects and finally to the power amp. This way you can essentially use your head as a preamp, taking full advantage of the power stage distortion. You only need one power amp Marc.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

by running the 5150's speaker/out to the effects unit and then into the power amp I could in effect use the 5150 as a preamp. I would be able to crank the 5150 up to 7 to clean up the buzz, proccess it then control my volume with the power amp and/volume pedal. I had talked to an amp guy about it and he said it was fine. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about speaker emulators, but unless your playing at a real low volume, you shouldn't really need one.
    Why are you wanting to incorporate a speaker emulator? I also don't understand what function you want a power brake to do?

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Eruption
    Last Online

Not necessarily a speaker emulater, but a load box, like the Harry Kolbe Silent Speaker or THD Hotplate will safely and efficiently reduce your output signal to line level. It's just what Eddie, and all those other guys do. I play professionally now and I don't bother doing it, but it's something I'm looking at trying because it will allow me to more effectively use my Bradshaw stuff. It's also the best way to do the three cabinet thing (wet, dry, wet).

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Sounds great jape! If I remember correctly a spx900 or most any other non-bargin valued rack has emulators, but I guess getting a matched line level would require something before the spx or whatever "effects" your using.
    Let us all non-pro's know how it works out! I've never tried the 3 cab thing, just 2! 3 cabs would be an inmressive wall of sound! You should record something with that setup and upload it to freedrive for us to hear!

------------------

Baluchitherium
    G4

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got an old H&H bass head that's been sitting in my closet for years. It's pretty beat up but still works fine. I guess that wouldn't be the way to go though. I think it's a 100 watt. One day I'll figure out something to use it for.