Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Listed below are VH's album sales in the U.S. First please read this: I (like many of you on this forum) have been a VH fan for many years. A very disturbing misconception has bothered me for a long time now in regards to VH's album sales in the U.S. I have noticed that many fans (especially Hagar lovers) believe that VH sold more albums w/Hagar. This is simply not true! According to the R.I.A.A. (the entity that actually confirms albums sales through audits and gives out all of the gold and platinum disks) VH have sold over 2 times, repeat 2 times as many albums of the Roth era as they have of the Hagar era. I think the confusion comes from the fact that 5150 was the first album to chart at #1. That has nothing to do with overall sales though. It amazes me at the ignorance of many so-called VH fans. The fact that Hagar runs around and claims they sold more albums with him doesn't surprise me though. Hagar is no better at telling the truth than Eddie when it comes to things about VH. The one thing that is known and can be factually proven is that the Roth era is by far the biggest selling era of VH. Here are the albums sales at present:
    Van Halen ------ 10 million
    Van Halen II ------ 4 million
    Women.......... ----- 3 million
    Fair Warning ------ 2 million
    Diver Down ------ 4 million
    1984 ------- 10 million
    ROTH TOTAL 33 MILLION

5150 ------ 5 million
    0U812 ------ 3 million
    For Unlaw..... ------ 3 million
    Live........ ------ 2 million
    Balance ----- 2 million
    HAGAR TOTAL 15 MILLION

As you can see it's not even close. In addition VH's 2 biggest albums ever (by far) are ROTH fronted albums (VH1 & 1984)

Just in case you're wondering I do respect Hagar. He's a talented musician who helped VH continue to be successful after many people thought they would die. It's just unfair for him and others to state something that isn't true. Again these numbers are straight from the R.I.A.A. By the way, all of this talk about Roth's solo career going nowhere after he left VH is B.S. Crazy from the Heat, EAT EM', & SKYSCRAPTER all went platinum and the tours for Eat Em' and Sky were very successful arena tours. Since Hagar was fired from VH not one, repeat not one of his albums has even gone gold. You do the math on which had a better run after VH. All of the figures above are for United States album sales. The truth hurts baby!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.29.16 @ 06:08 PM
    Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by thetruth:
    A very disturbing misconception has bothered me for a long time now in regards to VH's album sales in the U.S. I have noticed that many fans (especially Hagar lovers) believe that VH sold more albums w/Hagar. This is simply not true!
    I don't know where you got that impression. I always thought it was pretty well known DLR era outsold Hagar era. Hagar got more number 1 albums, Roth era sold (many) more units overall. Don't think too many people dispute that, although they might try and put an individual spin on it.

VH1 and 1984 in particular are benchmark albums for anyone getting into rock, either as a listener or a guitarist. Most of Eds best and most innovative work happened in those 6 albums, and thats what keeps the punters snappin' 'em up IMHO.

[ March 01, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's no doubt that the DLR era was better. The thing that gets me is ppl will come on here and say that Van Hagar was shit. I say both eras kicked ass, I couldn't give a shit how many albums was sold. The Backstreet Boys could sell a billion albums and they would still suck.
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

05.27.16 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by rebel78:
    I couldn't give a shit how many albums was sold. they
    That pretty much sums it up for me. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

09.30.16 @ 03:39 AM
    Liked 412 Times in 226 Posts

It's QUALITY, not quantity.

BOTH eras were of the HIGHEST quality rock and roll music.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

The Next One!
    Favorite VH Song

The Newest Single off The Next One!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by thetruth:
    Listed below are VH's album sales in the U.S. First please read this: I (like many of you on this forum) have been a VH fan for many years. A very disturbing misconception has bothered me for a long time now in regards to VH's album sales in the U.S. I have noticed that many fans (especially Hagar lovers) believe that VH sold more albums w/Hagar. This is simply not true! According to the R.I.A.A. (the entity that actually confirms albums sales through audits and gives out all of the gold and platinum disks) VH have sold over 2 times, repeat 2 times as many albums of the Roth era as they have of the Hagar era. I think the confusion comes from the fact that 5150 was the first album to chart at #1. That has nothing to do with overall sales though. It amazes me at the ignorance of many so-called VH fans. The fact that Hagar runs around and claims they sold more albums with him doesn't surprise me though. Hagar is no better at telling the truth than Eddie when it comes to things about VH. The one thing that is known and can be factually proven is that the Roth era is by far the biggest selling era of VH. Here are the albums sales at present:
    Van Halen ------ 10 million
    Van Halen II ------ 4 million
    Women.......... ----- 3 million
    Fair Warning ------ 2 million
    Diver Down ------ 4 million
    1984 ------- 10 million
    ROTH TOTAL 33 MILLION

5150 ------ 5 million
    0U812 ------ 3 million
    For Unlaw..... ------ 3 million
    Live........ ------ 2 million
    Balance ----- 2 million
    HAGAR TOTAL 15 MILLION

As you can see it's not even close. In addition VH's 2 biggest albums ever (by far) are ROTH fronted albums (VH1 & 1984)

Just in case you're wondering I do respect Hagar. He's a talented musician who helped VH continue to be successful after many people thought they would die. It's just unfair for him and others to state something that isn't true. Again these numbers are straight from the R.I.A.A. By the way, all of this talk about Roth's solo career going nowhere after he left VH is B.S. Crazy from the Heat, EAT EM', & SKYSCRAPTER all went platinum and the tours for Eat Em' and Sky were very successful arena tours. Since Hagar was fired from VH not one, repeat not one of his albums has even gone gold. You do the math on which had a better run after VH. All of the figures above are for United States album sales. The truth hurts baby!
    Who Really Gives A Fuck About Album Sales At This Point???? This Subject Is Old And Tired! [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

all of em
    Favorite VH Song

all of em
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as far as album sales go, i have always been curious how many albums artists have sold are repeats. i bought every van halen on 8 track through diver down, then on either album or cassette, then on cd. i imagine a large percentage of the old roth era sales are from people like me. and lets not forget how many people went out and bought the remasters.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have NEVER heard of anyone on this board, or anywhere else, claim that Sammy sold more than Dave. Where are you getting your info? Please provide a link to any posts that state that Sammy has outsold Dave. This topic is major rehash. You think you've come up with some resounding factual info? [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] Everyone here knows the album sales and are very aware of riaa.com. Tell us something we don't already know. Album sales don't mean shit anyway.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH 2
    Favorite VH Song

Outa Love Again
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Roth era is what made Van Halen household words .. The album sales are nice , but it was more than that . VH was the big dog w/ the talent , looks , charisma etc . Tailor made for a generation that was tired of old Black Sabbath records. As anyone can tell you , VH steamrolled the other bands in those early days of touring. Diamond Dave is a different "Bird" , but let's give the man his do . He was the right person at the right time !! Sammy is a talented guy in his own right , but his insistence that VH was more successful w/ him is laughable. The road to riches was already paved by the original VH . He was also in the right place at the right time. What bothers me most about Sammy is his insistence that Roth is not a musicain . "Hey Sam, let me know the true definition and I'll get back to you " . Again , I like some of Hagar's music , but overall it is very vanilla w/ no teeth . The day he puts out anything that can stand up to Fair Warning , will be the day he can he can look down on the "Dave era" . Lyrically Roth is pretty damn good . It's just my opinion, but Sam's lyrics are vanilla .. what I like to refer to as Van Halen Light "
    CV66

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember Sammy saying they sold more records while he was in the band. I had wondered myself for some time what he could have meant by it. What I figure he is saying is that before he was in the band VH (Example begin: sold 20 million albums, after he joined the band his era sold 15 million plus 13 million of the Roth era catalog giving the total sold while he was in the band 15 million + 13 million :End Example). If someone wanted to they could probably go to RIAA and get some album sales figures for up to when Sammy joined the band. Nobody can deny that the continued success of Van halen with Sammy helped sell alot of the back catalog. I became a fan in 1986 and went and bought the back catalog. Some other factors that have effected sales have been buying the new format (I owned all VH/Roth on cassette probably 1-3 copies of each album plus now I have them on cd), if Van Hagar would have failed we all know the Roth era wouldn't have sold as much as it has (Example: 1984 I beleive was 6x in 1985 & now 10x platinum since Sam joined), I think that used CD sales also effected the Dave/Sam sales debate. My thought on the Roth era catalog sales since Sammy joined could be divided because the music would have continued to sell even if VH would have failed (compared to the Roth era) with Sammy. But the continued success helped alot. If anyone has time to check I would be curious to see the RIAA numbers for my examples.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"5150"
    Last Online

04.05.12 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by jimmy:
    [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    What he said.

Nobody really gives a flying fuck.
    Scott Roberts
    The Official Scott Roberts Blog - http://www.scottrobertsweb.com
    FORMER owner of The VH Trade Site - http://www.vhtrading.com

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As impressive as their US sales numbers it is believed that they are actually higher!!

Many say that VH's catalog has sold around 60 Million copies here in the US.
    It's just that Warner Bros. hasnt re-certified it. Cheap lazy idiots. They should because there is no way in hell that VH could have hit the 50 Million mark back around 1995 and just stayed there since.
    What also highly impresses me is their "peak chart position" on Billboard for their 11 studio albums. From their debut till their last album the "PCP" are:

#19, 6, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4....

This is fucking amazing. Even their 1996 Greatest Hits went #1 too.
    Since their debut cracked the Top 20 and went platinum, which is killer and almost unheard of for a brand new rock group back in 78', they have forever been in the Top 10!

This is for the people who think VH didnt have chart success with Dave. Many people think 1984 was their first album to chart high. When in fact they all where charting like monsters.

And their 12 cosecutive multi-Platinum albums is second only to the Beatles & Led Zeppelin.

Add to that the fact VH had 16 Top 40 Hits!

Plus 11 no. 1 hits on the Rock Mainstream Chart(*World Record).

Not bad dudes.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

#19, 6, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4.... Ahhhh you're missing two... [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rebel78:
    There's no doubt that the DLR era was better. The thing that gets me is ppl will come on here and say that Van Hagar was shit. I say both eras kicked ass, I couldn't give a shit how many albums was sold. The Backstreet Boys could sell a billion albums and they would still suck.
    I agree 100 % !!!