Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Friends,
    I've got a Fender Double Fat Strat. The Tex Mex humbuckers in this guitar sound weak and muddy. What does "adjustable pole pieces" mean, and can adjustments to these pieces create different tones, ie. more bite?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

You can adjust them with a small screwdriver. If your pickups have covers, then you'll need to remove them to get to the pole pieces. I adjust mine as close to the strings as possible without touching and, for what it's worth, I alternate the direction of the screwdriver slots at a 45 degree angle to the strings. (superstition maybe???) Good luck.

------------------
    "Way down yonder in Louisville..."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strat, I don't know what model strat you're using, but if you look at the pick ups you'll notice that the little magnets are different hights, or "staggered". On some there are small magnetic screws that can be turned with a screw driver to adjust the hight of the magnet to bring it closer to the string without affecting the other pole pieces(magnets). Those Tex Mex pickups sound kind of distorted and muddy, and turning them closer to the string might give you a little more bite, but you might pay for it with more distortion. If they're too far away it'll affect your sustain. I doubt raising or lowering the pickup will affect your tone much because that's usually dictated by the body and neck wood, as well as the strings you use. You might want to try the screws at the side of the pickups to raise it to a height closer to the strings before adjusting the pole pieces.
    If you're going to adjust the poles keep the amp at a fairly low volume and as clean as you can when adjusting, and make sure your pickup switch is set to the pickup you're adjusting.
    If they still sound like crap and you want a true strat sound you might want to try Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's. They're great sounding strat pickups, and will sound true, regardless of the bodywood.
    Checkout www.seymourduncan.com
    and see the diff. specs on their pickups. There's lots to choose from. Good luck.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Tribb,
    Thanks, I'm not looking for a "strat" sound. It's sort of a "I'll know the sound when I hear it" type of thing. All I know is that I want them to be hotter, more harmonic, more feedback with more bite, yet clear. I want to hear each note, right now, they are muddy. Tex-Mex Humbuckers. The sound I most seek is that of Ed VH combined with the classic feel of Neil Young, and all of that on a Strat body out of an old Ampeg. Good luck to me... Any pickup suggestion would be helpful. I keep hearing Dimarzio Evolution.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you don't like the basic sound of your pickups, there isn't much you can do aside from changing them. The DiMarzio PAF pro is a good choice, as is a Duncan Pearly Gates.

If you want to get more clarity out of ANY pickups, try replacing the volume pot to a 1 or 2 Meg ohm. It increases the top end, and will provide you with more output without having to raise your pickips into the strings. This is a much cheaper possibility than changing pickups, and will still be useful even if you DO get new ones. If you can do it yourself, (it isn't hard), it will only cost you the price of the pot, which is less than $5.