Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK so I don't get it, if these are reissues why bother with a Blockhead or Mojave ? wouldn't they use upgraded parts etc etc ?? and have basically the same tone ? I'm thinking baout one of theses with a hotplate, any opinions ??
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, the RI's are nice heads, especially the JTM 45 RI.
    You can change some of the caps inside if you know what you're doing and get a brighter, or more aggresive tone if that's what you're looking for.
    The thing about the reissues are they're not as high in gain as the boutique amps, because they were designed to sound like the original which didn't have super gain, but you can replace some caps internally, as I said and bring the gain up.
    I heard a JTM 45 RI that sounded wicked after a couple of internal components had been replaced.
    I've got the 69 so I'm just gonna go with the power attenuator, but I was thinking about a RI at one time.
    You'll probably have to use a pedal to overdrive it a bit, but when it's on 10 through a hot plate it should wail without bringing the walls down.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    You can change some of the caps inside if you know what you're doing and get a brighter, or more aggresive tone if that's what you're looking for.
    The thing about the reissues are they're not as high in gain as the boutique amps, because they were designed to sound like the original which didn't have super gain, but you can replace some caps internally, as I said and bring the gain up.
    I heard a JTM 45 RI that sounded wicked after a couple of internal components had been replaced.
    I've got the 69 so I'm just gonna go with the power attenuator, but I was thinking about a RI at one time.
    You'll probably have to use a pedal to overdrive it a bit, but when it's on 10 through a hot plate it should wail without bringing the walls down.
    that's one thing I was wondering about was the gain, but then again if I'm gonna use a hot plate with the amp cranked, gain shouldn't be a problem correct ? I would think I should have plenty of crunch with it cranked or will I need to still change out parts even if I use a hot plate, that's my question, when you get yours let us know what it's like.
    btw are you gonna come out of it to your cab or are you going to use the line out and run effects then thru a power amp then to your cab ?? (the latter is supposedly the way EVH did it in the early years.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    oh and also you think a 5150 is a no no with a hot plate ??? honestly I don't like the 5150 distortion it's too buzzy imo I honestly have them just for looks, I preamp my 5150 heads
    so they are just glorified poweramps anyway [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] but I'd curious as to what is would be like with a hot plate.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used a hotplate through a 5150 a couple of times cause I thought if you ran it all out it would clean up while still giving you gain. It didn't work that way.
    Still sounded like crap. First I offed the hotplate then the 5150, after I came across the modded marshall I picked up.
    I realized that Marshall was the sound I was looking for. I just needed more gain, and the modded head gives me more than I need.
    I might not be a good person to ask about the gain on a standard RI marshall head. I only use the old NMV head with strats and I don't need lots of gain, just sustain. I use a pedal called a blues devil to push the preamp into whatever distortion I need, which still has a fair amount of gain. I'll use the attenuator to be able to push the power tubes in smaller clubs where you don't want to punish everyone within the first 30 feet from the stage.
    I also want to use the line out without a speaker to be able to record my old head and modded head without close mic'ing. Just a line into the recorder. I guess if it works you could use your head and the line out to feed it into the p.a. in a club. If I start worrying about extra power amps there's another headache I don't need.
    Plug into one input and cross channel the other 2 inputs.
    I'm not looking for that sound with my NMV head, but if you want a VH sound and are using humbuckers I imagine a hotplate would help so you could crank the amp, but I imagine you'd still need some kind of pedal to increase your gain.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The reissues are good sounding amps. The boutique amps exist for the consumers who want top quality components and point to point wiring like the old Marshalls. The reissues are wired on printed circuit boards. To me it really doesn't matter if its PCB or PTP as long as it sounds good but some people are purists.

Also like Tribb said, the reissues take some tweaking to get them really sounding right. The 1959SLP in stock form is REALLY bright and doesn't have quite the gain of Eddie's Marshall sound. After a few resistor swaps and cap value swaps those amps really start to cook. There are guys over at the Plexi Palace forum who have got the little tweaks down to a science to EVH a Plexi RI. Most people prefer to replace the output transformer with an Obsolete Electronics or Mercury Magnetics tranny.

Either way after all the little tweaks you still come out a lot cheaper than a boutique model and have a pretty smokin' amp.

PS: I like the 1987x 50 watter better.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea I was looking into the 87' 50 watter too, but since we are talking a cheaper way to go anyone tried a Sovtek Mig 100 ?? I wonder what they would be like with a hotplate ?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They had one downtown a few months ago and me being me, I had to go try it out.
    I didn't like it, too grainy sounding, but again you should try it for yourself.
    When it comes to marshall heads I think a 50 watter's a good idea cause if you're attenuating it anyway you're pushing it into overdrive.
    I like the sound of the 50 watt heads better as well.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's what the guys at Blockhead say about reissue amps in their FAQ:

WHAT'S DIFFERENT BETWEEN BLOCKHEAD AMPS AND THOSE "REISSUE" AMPS?

EVERYTHING. Blockhead amps are handcrafted using only the finest parts, with superior construction and of similar materials as the originals. No expense has been spared in the development or the production of Blockhead amplifiers. Other than original "Plexi" amps, there is absolutely nothing else like them anywhere, at any price. Almost everything in our amps is handmade, carefully assembled by hand, then hand wired point to point, and fine tuned to be the best "Plexi" replicas EVER. Our amps are made to last forever.

I've played through some of the reissue amps too and although I wasn't impressed, I can see how a couple modifications could make them cool.
    The reissues will require replacement of some internal parts AND an attenuator of some kind, like a hotplate.

That's one of the reasons I didn't go that route. Didn't want to spend time replacing, researching the best parts to buy, didn't know how to do it and didn't want to mess with an attenuator when the Blockhead Custom 50 already solved all these problems.
    Basically, less headache.

I would like to hear the Blockhead '67 Plexi copy though....

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    [QB]The reissues are good sounding amps. The boutique amps exist for the consumers who want top quality components and point to point wiring like the old Marshalls. The reissues are wired on printed circuit boards. To me it really doesn't matter if its PCB or PTP as long as it sounds good but some people are purists.
    QB]
    I read an interview with ywinvinggie malmsteen a while back where he claimed that he and Jim Marshall got drunk one night and Jim told him that the amps of that era were put together out of "whatever they had lying around" once they ran out of components!
    If this is right, it makes you wonder which particular amp they reissued!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you look at the 60's era circuit boards you'll notice that the parts are very basically the same, as well as the same manufacturers right down to the type of circuit board used.
    There weren't a lot of manufacturers to choose from in those days so they tended to use the same parts unless they ran out of a part, in which case they'd usually substitute something close, or just a different manufacturer.
    It's been well known for many years that the people at the early marshall factory were drinkers and a lot of them were buzzed on the job, but marshall purists look for parts that were common to the early marshalls like certain brands of capacitors, sockets, and especially transformers.
    If you get a 60's marshall and it has parts that are the wrong value, it's not only dangerous to the head, but it won't sound anything like it's supposed to. Guys that play these old heads tend to examine the chasis pretty closely and can tell if it's been doctored or if things aren't right.
    Also, if you look at the tag inside older marshall heads you'll see that they're signed by 2 or 3 different people as the amp moved down the line.
    Some collectors actually look for certain signatures because certain assemblers did better soldering work, etc...
    Rosemary is one favorite among a lot of collectors.
    Jim marshall started that because early on there were heads and cabs(especially cabs) that were going out poorly assembled.
    Once he had them sign their names the quality apparently picked up considerably.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go ask for sphere88 over at the plexipalace.he knows his shit!!!He will change your tubes,and transformers as well as ad one cap (i think its the v1)on the preamp to ad gain.it sound awsome.nails vh very well.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, those guys at the plexi palace know their shit.
    Some say the prices are on the high side, but they know what they're doing.