All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Guys, help me out here.

I just bought a guitar off of ebay. A teal axis. THis is the description of the guitar:

MINT!!! Ernie Ball MusicMan Axis Guitar

EBMM Axis Guitar bought new in 2002 (late June). Transparent Teal with Quilted Maple top with unfinished birdseye maple neck. Double-locking, non-recessed Floyd Rose Tremelo with custom wound DiMarzio pickups. Chrome hardware. Single volume knob and 3-way toggle switch. Hardshell case Included. Guitar is MINT.

I emailed the guy a couple of times before bidding and he told me that guitar was mint, NO SCRATCHES, NO DINGS, NOTHING. (verbatim)

OK, so I got the guitar today. There is a spider web of pick scratches all over it and there's a one inch gash that you can feel with your finger. It's not "REALLY" noticeable, but noticeable enough. (My wife saw it.)

Guys, does that fit your definition of mint?

Let me know what you guys think, because I don't think that it's mint. I would give it a 9 out of 10, but I'm upset that the guy would call it mint when there are indeed visible flaws on it...
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That doesn't meet my definition of MINT.

MINT doesn't mean, "played, but still in excellent condition", which is what this sounds like.

MINT, to *me* at least, means it's either brand spanking new & unplayed, or old.....but unplayed.

PRACTICALLY MINT, to me, means MINT + obvious wear that is unavoidable from even 10 hours of play.

Your opinion may vary.

I guess the bottom line is, are you happy with the quality of the guitar, per what you paid for it?

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Majestic:
    That doesn't meet my definition of MINT.

MINT doesn't mean, "played, but still in excellent condition", which is what this sounds like.

MINT, to *me* at least, means it's either brand spanking new & unplayed, or old.....but unplayed.

PRACTICALLY MINT, to me, means MINT + obvious wear that is unavoidable from even 10 hours of play.

Your opinion may vary.

I agree with you. That's what the description should have said.

I guess the bottom line is, are you happy with the quality of the guitar, per what you paid for it?
    I dropped $980 on it, so it's not a bad deal. But I'm not happy about the guy's description about it.
    If he would have told me it had some cosmetic flaws on it, I would NOT have even bid on it. That's the bottom line. I know those little scratches on it won't affect anything, but the fact remains, it wasn't what he said it was...

[ November 19, 2002, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: ebmm_axis ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I were you i'd be pissed! Mint to me means its in new condition or "Better!" The guy should have said its in exellent or great condition with minimal dings. I'm not 100% on this, but i think ebay doesn't stand for that shit! just my opinion

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by beetlejuice:
    If I were you i'd be pissed! Mint to me means its in new condition or "Better!" The guy should have said its in exellent or great condition with minimal dings. I'm not 100% on this, but i think ebay doesn't stand for that shit! just my opinion
    Thanx, man. Now that somebody else said it, I'll fess up and admint it! I AM pissed. I'm REALLY pissed... I hope that I'm not FUCKED as well as PISSED!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

$980 on a Teal colored Axis is quite alright, bud.

You have a point, so if you want to make it with the guy, then go for it. He was wrong, and you were right, *no doubt*.

If you plunked down $980 because you thought you were getting a "mint" instrument, and feel ripped off because YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT IT OTHERWISE, then by all means, try and take action.

But if you plunked down $980 for a Teal Axis because....well....you think you'd like playing a Teal Axis (which I believe is a rare color), then I think you're in good condition.

I've rarely spotted a used Axis for under $900 on e-bay. YMMV, though.

You also need to consider that by scrubbing any grime off the fretboard with Lemon Oil, and if someone else on this site has a suggestion to help you maybe buff some of the pick scratches out, you'll indeed be looking at a guitar that is near-mint (minus the inch-long scratch) anyway.

Just a thought. Again, I agree with your stance.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by Majestic:
    $980 on a Teal colored Axis is quite alright, bud.

You have a point, so if you want to make it with the guy, then go for it. He was wrong, and you were right, *no doubt*.

If you plunked down $980 because you thought you were getting a "mint" instrument, and feel ripped off because YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT IT OTHERWISE, then by all means, try and take action.

But if you plunked down $980 for a Teal Axis because....well....you think you'd like playing a Teal Axis (which I believe is a rare color), then I think you're in good condition.

I've rarely spotted a used Axis for under $900 on e-bay. YMMV, though.

You also need to consider that by scrubbing any grime off the fretboard with Lemon Oil, and if someone else on this site has a suggestion to help you maybe buff some of the pick scratches out, you'll indeed be looking at a guitar that is near-mint (minus the inch-long scratch) anyway.

Just a thought. Again, I agree with your stance.
    Thanx for your thoughts. I shot the guy an email and explained to him my position. I wasn't rude nor demanding, just explained to him what I thought I was getting according to his words and descriptions.

$980 is NOT too bad, I know. I would have gone up to $1100. There's a local dealer here that has a Teal Axis with nicer quilt on it for $1350. I chose this EBAY guy because I thought I'd get the same guitar for $250 less. I definately would NOT have sprung on the guitar if he would have told me the real condition of it. I would have spent the extra $250 on the one with the dealer...

It's not a big deal, the deal is simply...
    "BE STRAIGHT UP OR BE NOTHING AT ALL!"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would you have still bought it, had you known about the scratches?

If the answer is no, then I would definately try to get my money back.

If the answer is yes, then you have every right to be a little upset, but it really depends on your defintion of MINT. Doesn't sound MINT to me.

The guy is guilty of fibbing on the condition. But, if you still would've paid what you paid. What else can ya do?

You can be upset at him. That's about it. He's weasly, sneaky, and alot of other things. But you've got a pretty nice guitar for a good price.

Bill

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ebmm_axis:
    Guys, help me out here.

I just bought a guitar off of ebay. A teal axis. THis is the description of the guitar:

EBMM Axis Guitar bought new in 2002 (late June). Transparent Teal with Quilted Maple top with unfinished birdseye maple neck. Double-locking, non-recessed Floyd Rose Tremelo with custom wound DiMarzio pickups. Chrome hardware. Single volume knob and 3-way toggle switch. Hardshell case Included. Guitar is MINT.

I emailed the guy a couple of times before bidding and he told me that guitar was mint, NO SCRATCHES, NO DINGS, NOTHING. (verbatim)

OK, so I got the guitar today. There is a spider web of pick scratches all over it and there's a one inch gash that you can feel with your finger. It's not "REALLY" noticeable, but noticeable enough. (My wife saw it.)

Let me know what you guys think, because I don't think that it's mint. I would give it a 9 out of 10, but I'm upset that the guy would call it mint when there are indeed visible flaws on it...
    Man I am extremly careful when I use the word mint, mint to me means like new never played still in the plastic etc etc pick scratches are not mint, 1" gashes are not mint that is my opinion though.
    Rol.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mint= As it left the maker.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ebmm_axis:
    Guys, help me out here.

Shit man I wen't through the same thing on Ebay, maybe worse, but I kept the guitar.

It's a Trans red Wolf Special Flametop, and the fuckin dude advertised it 9 out of 10. So I'm thinkin fuck it "It's a 9 out of 10!" Shit this is how I receive the guitar:

-Fucker sends it unstrung and didn't put anything under the bridge to protect the body(that's where I'm guessing the small peppered dings came from).Fuckin jerky...
    -The pickup selector was reverse wired, and the dude did offer me like fifty bucks or some shit to get it wired back after I sent him an email informing him of his mammoth ignorance. I figured he might automatically reimburse to my Pay Pal account but he didn't, and I didn't feel like dealing with the dude again, so I let it go.
    -There's a good deal of pick scratches...some people.
    -Non stock volume knob...I'll live.

After I strung the guitar and set it up it was kickin some major ass so I just let it go. I got it for $550 with shipping or some shit so all in all I did get a pretty good deal on it.

How much PICTURES reveal is a major thing, but for that price I said fuck it and took the guys word for it. Well I'm happy with it, case closed.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Fuckin' shit fuck!
    Shit, shit fuck shit!!!
    Fuck.
    Shit,fuck, fuckin' fuck shit!
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The term "mint" is not a variable. It is a constant. "Mint" is clearly defined in the dictionary:

tr.v. mintˇed, mintˇing, mints
    To produce (money) by stamping metal; coin.
    To invent or fabricate: a phrase that was minted for one occasion.

adj.
    Undamaged as if freshly minted: The painting was in mint condition.

from www.dictionary.com

[ November 20, 2002, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Prages ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Regardless of everyone's description of mint, and I think we are pretty much agreed what "Mint" is, decide how much the guitar is worth to you. As you mentioned, you thought you were getting the same guitar for a few hundred dollars less. Conversly, if you are willing to pay a few hundred dollars more, then tell the guy, and lodge a complaint with EBay, then go buy the other one you wanted. If you were looking for a deal, then it sounds like you got a deal and save a few hundred bucks. As far as the pickup scratches go, you can buy a number of guitar polishes, or just take it to your local store and see who they can recommend for a buff job. They can probably take out the 1 inch scratch as well if they know what they are doing. And if they can do it all for under the difference of what you would have paid for the other guitar, then you still came out ahead. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While agree that the guy clearly needs to look up mint in the dictionary, I think the term, "you get what you pay for" comes into play here. $1350 for a mint new Axis is about right, and $980 for an Axis with minor cosmetic issues is again about right. You learned to not take anyones word for anything on e-bay or buying anywhere on the internet. I'd say if you wouldn't bother to buy a guitar unless it was completely mint, then stick to buying in person. The internet makes it extremely easy for people fib about items they are selling.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    I'd say if you wouldn't bother to buy a guitar unless it was completely mint, then stick to buying in person. The internet makes it extremely easy for people fib about items they are selling.
    That has ALWAYS been my rule of thumb, until NOW. After three emails, confirming the mint condition of the guitar, I gave in. I'm A STUPID, GULLIBLE, ASS HOLE!!!!