Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Me thinks me got burned. Found a great looking Wolfgang standard on ebay. Black with an ivory binding. Came with fret protector, factory spec sheet, wrenches, case candy, etc. Description read like it just came off of the factory floor.

You know where this is going... I paid $805.00 for it, and exorbitant shipping + insurance and handling of another $50.00. Got here today, and it is in fabulous shape - except for the major finish flaws.

On the "inlets" inside the two upper horns, there are parts around the binding that are discolored. Each of these blotches is about the size of a quarter. It almost appears as though the clear coat itself is discolored. It has turned amber, or honey brown. This isn't something that looks like it stained the outside of the finish, it is actually IN (or under) the finish. Anybody have any idea what this is? How it was caused? What I can do about it?

What burns my bum about this whole thing is that it's obvious now that the seller used extremely favorable camera angles that hid the blemishes, and made the guitar look flawless. That's why I paid top dollar for it. I've already exchanged e-mails with the seller, who has taken the position that it's my fault for not asking for more pictures, and concluded his e-mail by saying "the sale is final".

This post is more in the way of venting rather than asking for suggestions, although I'd love to hear what you guys think. Including telling me I'm a dummy, because I deserve that.

Ugh. It's always something. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How dare you expect people to be honest!
    I know the feeling...I once payed off what I was told was a Charvel strat only to have a Charvette boat oar arrive on my doorstep!
    I ended up not worrying too much about dings, scratches and blemishes on guitars. Stage abuse makes sure they all come into some battle scars!
    Blow it off man...If anyone notices the marks they're too close to your guitar anyway!
    So long as it sounds good, that's the main thing!
    At least, that's what I tell myself to feel better! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a crook is a crook is a crook.

theres nothing you can do to prevent this kind of thing - even if you asked for pics he would of still angled the camera so that it was hard to detect.

does guitar sound good and play good? if so its still a great deal.

i got mine off of ebay too, the guy said it was flawless but it did have two tiny dings around the edge. honestly, i still think it was worth the 800. actually, to me, its worth more than 800 because of the sound, neck shape, balance and wood.

just my 2 pesos.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, that dude was just ready to milk someone....that was Fifty bucks inside the continental US for shipping/insurance? If so, that blows the big donk dude.

Those blotches, they are on the finish-not the binding, and those are the only discolored parts (not that it's a good thing)? Is it possible that they're cigarette burns, or some kind of burn?

Dude, that sucks. I've been burned before one time, not that bad, but I didn't leave the guy feedback cause he was just a fucking annoyance on my conscience. But maybe you should leave this polesmoker some REALLY REALLYYYY GOOD feedback, the kind that he will love to make a good counter on, but probably won't be able to.

Well shit man, hope the fucker sounds kickass and you'll be able to grow to love it. Que no?
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

Those blotches, they are on the finish-not the binding, and those are the only discolored parts (not that it's a good thing)? Is it possible that they're cigarette burns, or some kind of burn?

Funny you mention that about the burns! That was kind of my first thought too, because it kind of looks like that cig-burn brown around the paint on Ed's 5150 headstock. But upon closer inspection, it's definitely in the finish. Weird. I almost wonder if this was some kind of factory second. Isn't there a gentleman from Peavey who posts here occasionally? Wonder if he could look it up.

Anyway, thank you very much to all of you guys who talked me down there. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I'm still a little bummed, but when I get home from work tonight and crank it up, I might be real happy with the sound and get over it. Then again, it wouldn't hurt to go through the e-bay dispute resolution process too, just to see if he'll bend.

Again though, thanks guys! You guys are cool dudes, and this is a great place to vent!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, if there was ever a place wher "buyer beware" rang true, ebay is the place.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    Man, that dude was just ready to milk someone....that was Fifty bucks inside the continental US for shipping/insurance? If so, that blows the big donk dude.
    That all depends where they live from eachother and what method he used.
    I'm in AZ if I pack a guitar with a case and send it USPS Priority insured for $800 to Philly the cost is $48, I know I just did it, and USPS is the cheapest your gonna get don't get me started with UPS (and that should be pronounced ooops for ooops I lost your guitar or ooops I broke your guitar )
    So I guess what I'm saying is yea $50 is high but it may very well not be the senders fault espesially if it's insured.
    As for the marks I've been duped once I guess it happens to everyone.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by only letters and numbers:
    Me thinks me got burned. Found a great looking Wolfgang standard on ebay. Black with an ivory binding. Came with fret protector, factory spec sheet, wrenches, case candy, etc. Description read like it just came off of the factory floor.

You know where this is going... I paid $805.00 for it, and exorbitant shipping + insurance and handling of another $50.00. Got here today, and it is in fabulous shape - except for the major finish flaws.

On the "inlets" inside the two upper horns, there are parts around the binding that are discolored. Each of these blotches is about the size of a quarter. It almost appears as though the clear coat itself is discolored. It has turned amber, or honey brown. This isn't something that looks like it stained the outside of the finish, it is actually IN (or under) the finish. Anybody have any idea what this is? How it was caused? What I can do about it?

What burns my bum about this whole thing is that it's obvious now that the seller used extremely favorable camera angles that hid the blemishes, and made the guitar look flawless. That's why I paid top dollar for it. I've already exchanged e-mails with the seller, who has taken the position that it's my fault for not asking for more pictures, and concluded his e-mail by saying "the sale is final".

This post is more in the way of venting rather than asking for suggestions, although I'd love to hear what you guys think. Including telling me I'm a dummy, because I deserve that.

Ugh. It's always something. [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]
    Although I don't understand what caused it, rcrimm, who works for Peavey and has proven himself to be an upstanding guy might be able to help you figure out what it could be.
    He checks in here now and then, and if he doesn't see this why not contact peavey and see what they have to say about it.
    You say it's in fabulous shape otherwise, so if that's the only real complaint about the guitar maybe they can give you some advice as to how to have it removed. It sounds like it may be a factory flaw.
    Even though you're not the original owner it's still worth a try.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    That all depends where they live from eachother and what method he used.
    I'm in AZ if I pack a guitar with a case and send it USPS Priority insured for $800 to Philly the cost is $48, I know I just did it, and USPS is the cheapest your gonna get don't get me started with UPS (and that should be pronounced ooops for ooops I lost your guitar or ooops I broke your guitar )
    So I guess what I'm saying is yea $50 is high but it may very well not be the senders fault espesially if it's insured.
    As for the marks I've been duped once I guess it happens to everyone.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What kind of shape was the box for the Kramer 1984 that I shipped to you in? That was FedEx. After a smooth ship on that one and shipping my Univalve for 10 bucks insured through them, I'm pretty impressed with them.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gentleman? Upstanding guy? Well, if you guys are going to call me names...

Seriously, I don't know what would cause spots like that. That is a new one on me. I can say that is is very unlikely, actually impossible that it is a "second". Peavey will not, and has never let what they would consider a second of any product out the door. Let alone a Wolfgang.

If you will email me the serial number at rcrimm@peavey.com, I will look up the history on it and tell you what we do know. I can find the ship date, who it shipped to, and if the warranty was registered who bought it (although I am not supposed to reveal that last one).

If it is some factory flaw, it is one I have never heard of. We have at times taken care of problems, warranty or not, that were definitely a factory fault. I can't promise anything there, but it is not out of the question. We would have to see it though, to determine something like that.

One thing you might want to consider, if you know of someone you trust to do it, would be to see if the stain (or whatever it is) can be buffed out. You would be amazed, as Rol and some other guys here could tell you, at the otherwise evil looking finish flaws that a little buffing can cure.

We could handle that fairly easily at Peavey Service. Of course, that would involve shipping the guitar to Peavey, which you may not want to do considering what you have already been through.

At any rate, get with me at Peavey and we will see what we can do. I will also check with our guitar tech tomorrow, and see if he has ever seen a factory flaw like the one you describe. Pics would help, if you have any that show the spots.

Oh, and don't listen to these guys, I was a jackass in a former life.... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Roger C

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rcrimm, I certainly don't remember using the word Gentleman.

Just bumping this back up, so hopefully only letters and numbers sees it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

First of all, you guys all rule! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

rcrimm, I'm going to take you up on your very kind offer and e-mail you the serial number tomorrow. Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    as Rol and some other guys here could tell you, at the otherwise evil looking finish flaws that a little buffing can cure.

I think you have forgotten what I had been doing the last 5 yrs or so, I was buffing blemishes *INTO* guitars
    Rol.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Hey Only Letters and Numbers, I have an idea on what your stains might be.

Do you think it's possible that those are stains from some kind of cleaning solution the guy may have used on the neck. We all know how dirty they can get. Maybe he used something to clean up his neck that got on the inner horn areas around the neck and caused your discoloration.

Just an idea.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by nobozos:
    Hey Only Letters and Numbers, I have an idea on what your stains might be.

Do you think it's possible that those are stains from some kind of cleaning solution the guy may have used on the neck. We all know how dirty they can get. Maybe he used something to clean up his neck that got on the inner horn areas around the neck and caused your discoloration.

Just an idea.
    That's possible I suppose, but it really looks as though the discoloration is part of the clear coat itself. I really don't think something stained it from the outside in, as it appears as though it's stained from the inside out, if that makes sense. It's almost as if parts of the clear coat have undergone a rapid aging process, like the one that makes an old blond Fender tele look "butterscotch". But for some reason, it's just those two areas that are amber. It's really weird.

Anyway, if I ever get to leave work today, I'm going to e-mail that Gentleman (there, said it again!) at Peavey with the serial numbers, and see what we can find out. I'd be remiss if I didn't say at least once more, thanks to all of you guys for your help in this matter. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]