Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:28 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

Ok how is it done guys (yes I'm new to this!!). Got a guitar, got a new amp with a DI Out (big plug hole). What do I need to do in simplest terms to record a file to my computer - ie cords, software (any free stuff available) etc. Just want to record little riffs I come up with.
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

Well, you could try the route that I have followed so far. Please note, I am way off being the world's best recording artist - I have only been farting about with it myself for a month (check out my site).

I'm assuming that you have Windows as your Operating System on your P.C. ?

Well, what I did was use the Windows Recorder first, just to see that I could get a signal into the computer. I started up the Windows Sound Recorder (Start->Programs->Accessories->Multimedia->Sound Recorder). This is what I used to record.

Now I'm also assuming that you have a sound card with a line in input in there. Now, this input is going to be too small to fit your guitar jack into. What I've got is a cable that has both ends the same size as the line in to the sound card input. Then, on one end, I have one of those connectors that changes it from the small connector to the guitar jack sized connector (it's a little piece of hardware, about 1" long that just fits over the end of the existing connector).

Then, I plug a lead into my guitar and connect into the input onto my amp. Then I plug my wire with the adaptor connector on the end into the line out on my amp (I'm assuming that your amp has a line out as well). Then I connect the other end of the cable into the soundcard.

Switch the amp on, turn the guitar up, press record on the sound recorder and record the samples. The only downside is that Windows Sound Recorder only records one minute samples, and there's no multitracking facility, but for the purpose of just getting a signal into the P.C., it works fine.

Sound recorder only records as a wav as well. And I use Winamp that has a wav - mp3 converter in it to convert the wav into an mp3.

Then, eventually, you might want to get a multitrack software program. Everyone here seems to mostly use Cool Edit Pro 2. You can get hold of a free download from the web, and I know most of my mates that use it have just cracked it.

Nowadays, since the Amp recording conflicts with my fiancees T.V. viewing, I run my guitar into my Zoom 505 II guitar pedal. Exactly the same set up with the cables though, but a lot quieter since the amp isn't booming out all the time.

Hope that this helps...

[ December 10, 2002, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:28 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks mate!!! I'll try all that!!!
    Her T-shirt ended early and her hot pants started late

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this works for PC folks, but us MAC fans are kicking ass with Pro Tools.

You can download a free version of this software that features 8 tracks instead of 36, and is supposed to not let you transfer the sound files into MP3.
    Dont worry about that, I was able to bypass that pretty easily with MAC's iTunes software by importing the sound file and converting it to MP3 anyway.
    Pro Tools is great for multipke tracking, sampling, looping, and such.

Have yourself a ball!
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I had to change completely what I played live compared to recording becuase it was just not translating worth more than a buzz saw The crack for Cool Edit pro is out there. Great software, and I highly recommend that you make the purchase so guys like me can keep it for free [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Just kidding, but great program.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by digadam:
    Ok how is it done guys (yes I'm new to this!!). Got a guitar, got a new amp with a DI Out (big plug hole). What do I need to do in simplest terms to record a file to my computer - ie cords, software (any free stuff available) etc. Just want to record little riffs I come up with.
    well with me the GNX has a built in recorder and a built in drum machine, I recordeed everything on the GNX, it has it's own drive with a 128 smart card, each track is saved as a .wav file and when I'm done I take the smart card out and download it to CakeWalk pro on my PC, now if I choose I can touch it up add effects remove bloopers yadda yadda with cakewalk.
    In the case of my sound files I did litte of this, I added reverb and made the guitar sound more Haunting on "In The End" but that's all , oh also cut out any dead spots to save file size, but other than that they were just saved to cakewalk and then converted to MP3 with cakewalks converter.
    Now for getting them on the web I firs used my old Geocities acct but they suck so a friend on this list let me put them on his site.
    I
    The way I did it was probably quite a bit different than most becase of the GNX, I'm really not recording to my PC like most other are.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by digadam:
    well with me the GNX has a built in recorder and a built in drum machine, I recordeed everything on the GNX, it has it's own drive with a 128 smart card, each track is saved as a .wav file and when I'm done I take the smart card out and download it to CakeWalk pro on my PC, now if I choose I can touch it up add effects remove bloopers yadda yadda with cakewalk.
    In the case of my sound files I did litte of this, I added reverb and made the guitar sound more Haunting on "In The End" but that's all , oh also cut out any dead spots to save file size, but other than that they were just saved to cakewalk and then converted to MP3 with cakewalks converter.
    Now for getting them on the web I firs used my old Geocities acct but they suck so a friend on this list let me put them on his site.
    I
    The way I did it was probably quite a bit different than most becase of the GNX, I'm really not recording to my PC like most other are.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What does GNX store the recordings on? Is it a tape?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by digadam:
    I
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]What does GNX store the recordings on? Is it a tape?
    </font>[/QUOTE]HI,

it has it's own 8mb internal storage, that will get you 2, 3 minute tracks at most, it also has a built in drive that holds a 128 MG Smart Card like what's used in digital cameras, so you just record in the gnx and remove the smart card then download and mix down add effects or whatever, I forgot I also added a fade out to a few of my tunes with the cakewalk.
    as said before it's not the end all (the gnx) it has good tones the drum machine is basic but cool but it is user unfreindly IMO.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cubase is another cool program to record your jams with. Plus, you can use Amplitube with it, which is the best PC based amp emulator I've heard yet....dare I say it rivals the POD? In some ways its better, IMO.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com