Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I can only choose one???
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all! I was wondering what kind of guitars you guys liked. I am going to get a guitar to learn to play, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. What do you recommend for a good sound quality guitar??? I would rather have a good sound more than anything else...besides price of course. I would also like to keep it around $400 or less. Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi VHM. Good to see ya here.
    I'm assuming you mean an electric guitar.
    You haven't mentioned an amp, so it sounds like you have around 400 for the guitar itself. For up to 400. you can get a decent guitar, and an even better quality instrument if you don't mind buying one that's used, which is a better idea because it's broken in for you already. Any structural problems with a new guitar tend to show up within the first year.
    You haven't mentioned what type of music you're into. That would help deciding on what kind of instrument you should look for. Steinberger, Hamer, and Godin, just to name a few make guitars for less than you mentioned, that are quite decent quality.
    If you're not an experienced player, a strat is a good choice to start with. If you like a flatter fingerboard then something like an epiphone les paul type of guitar might feel better. If bought used, both are within your price range, and if you find that you're gonna stick with it and are getting better, then at some point you'll find one that feels and sounds good. When a lot of guys start out they tend to go by looks alone, cause such and such plays one of those, or that looks like so and so's guitar. Don't worry about looks when you're learning. Find one that feels good in your hands. Some of the best sounding guitars in the world look like they've been dragged behind cars.
    One idea that you might want to try is to go to a music teacher at a store(NOT A SALESMAN), and ask him to recommend something.
    If you're just learning then the idea is to PLAY as much as possible, and you'll want a comfortable instrument so you don't get discouraged.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Buy a low end accoustic, learn the basics, build up your hand strength, and in a few months you'll know if it is something you want to do. That accoustic will really get your frethand developed. If your still progressing in 6 to 10 months buy a quality electric guitar and amplifier.
    <BR>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to disagree CPD. Buying a low end acoustic not only won't build your hand strength, but the intonation will probably be off, and will limit the the things you'll be able to learn, discouraging you much quicker.
    If your interested in learning acoustic type songs, or are into an acoustic, or classical player, then I agree, acoustic is the way to go, but there's nothing wrong with starting on an electric.
    Hand strength isn't built up from pushing down hard on the strings, but from playing repetition, and scales. The longer you play, the stronger the muscles you use for playing will become, regardless of the guitar you play.
    If your style is more geared toward electric you'll be more likely to play more often and longer with an instument that feels good and helps you feel creative.
    I've seen lots of kids give up the instrument because they were given an acoustic(usually low end) as a gift, when they wanted to learn on an electric.
    If VHM picks up a decent quality electric instrument and decides he doesn't want to do it anymore, he'll probably get most, if not all of his money back in resale, but buying a low end acoustic will more than likely keep him from being creative, thus holding him back, and will have virtually no value down the road.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the desire is there he will not get frustrated by the low end accoustic. At his stage, tone is a non-issue. Why spend 400 when you can spend 100-150 until you decide this is what you want to do. Whenever my frethand is lacking strength I go right to the accoustic, do a few days of warmup exercises and it's back in shape.
    <BR>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Frustration is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when you're just learning. It's looking over your shoulder every step of the way.
    While I agree that doing warmups on an acoustic will tone your muscles, we're talking about building muscles needed for play, that aren't developed yet.
    I taught guitar for a no. of years in a classroom situation, and still teach a few students privately. In the classroom sitiuation everyone used acoustic guitars. The biggest problems were lousy fret boards, incorrect string height, and awful intonation because of bargain basement guitars, which every parent feels their child should play to see if the "desire" is there. It really sucked to watch the kids struggling with those shitty acoustics, and finally give up, not from lack of desire, but because the guitar was fighting them every step of the way.
    That's like saying, I want to ride a dirt bike, but I'd better get a mountain bike to see if I'm serious and build up my muscles.
    They're both a lot of fun, but not the same thing.
    To build up your hand muscles you play, play, play, regardless of the instrument. If your fret hand lacks strength, then do some stretching, and strengthening excercises on your electric. There are lots of them that will build up, and keep up your strength without using an acoustic.
    That doesn't mean you shouldn't use an acoustic. It's a great instrument on it's own.
    And also, tone is never a non issue.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    .... then at some point you'll find one that feels and sounds good. When a lot of guys start out they tend to go by looks alone, cause such and such plays one of those, or that looks like so and so's guitar. Don't worry about looks when you're learning. Find one that feels good in your hands. Some of the best sounding guitars in the world look like they've been dragged behind cars.
    <hr></blockquote>

Damned if this isn't the truth!! My son's $150 Squier Affinity sounds and feels better than my deluxe Strat. Fuck!!!
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tribb:
    And also, tone is never a non issue. <hr></blockquote>

Words of wisdom to live by [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I can only choose one???
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi y'alls!
    Thank you for the advice. I have thought about starting acousticly because I like both electric and acoustic. I think what my hardest problem will be is finding the right string height for me. I tried my brother's Strat, but the strings were too high, so I gave up! Can you adjust the strings? Oh, and guys, don't worry about if I will stop or what not...I've been wanting to learn to play guitar for awhile now. I am just finally getting the money to actually buy something...and actually have money to afford taking lessons. Anyway, let me know about the string height because if there is a way that I can...I might be able to borrow my brother's guitar to learn on!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, the string height can be adjusted, but if you're not familiar with doing it, you should probably take it to a music store and let them do it. The guitar might have to be set up properly, which means checking the neck, adjusting string and saddle height, and setting the intonation.
    Good luck.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, to help answer your question about which guitar to buy.....I will tell you what I like......make a few suggestions....and then tell you what you really should do. For me, nothing beats a USA Jackson....nothing!!! As for suggestions....the new Kramer Berettas seem to be the best bang for the buck.....plus you can get a neck-thru guitar from Kramer cheaper than a bolt on by most major manufacturers. The best advice I can give is......go to a music store...find an amp similar to what you own or plan on buying....and play every guitar in your price range they have.....pick the one you like the best.-Lou

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I can't agree with you on the new Barettas Lou, I have played US made jacksons and they do sound good and play very well.
    What you say about going to the music store is probably the best advise anyone could get.
    Try everything out you can, and take your time.
    Don't let a salesman pressure you into buying something you're not completely happy with.
    Even if you're a beginner, a guitar shouldn't have to grow on you. When you pick it up, even if you don't play well, it'll feel comfortable in your hands.