Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) Drum roll please. Jimi Hendrix- Why? all you fellow Van Haleners ask? He was 20 years ahead of his time and made people think more than any other artist "Crap why didnt i think of that? Without Jimi I dont think VH could have done it. As many of other guitarist Jimi was my spark, he started it all for me.

2) Eddie Van Halen- For reasons being everyone on this web site knows like the back of their hand. As Bluntly as our eyes and brains can see it

3) Muddy Waters- Without the Blues... No Rock! You heard me the first time. This guy was the first to set the standard for any type of organized blues band.

4) STEVE VAI- As my fellow friend Chris says (Very respected here in Arkansas) "STEVE VAI IS THE MAN" You know what at first i didint believe him untill he popped in a vai cd for me. I was amazed at his amazing technical array of various teqnique. Maybyee the best guitar player in the universe but not the best overall songwriter or musician. Not as good as hendrix or Van Halen at using his talent to his full musical abiliies.

5) Eric Clapton?- Not one of my favorites. Hold your boos to yourself. I have been told by many hardcore shredder guitar players out there (Many 10 to 20 years older than myself(im just 15)) "Eric Claptonis the meansest guitar player to ever walk the earth

Personally Eddie is my fav. However this is the combined efforts of my own opinions and of other opionons of guiar players that i highly respect.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) Edward Van Halen--he's done more for the evolution of the instrument and music in general than anyone I can think of. He is the first virtuoso to have broken through to the masses. He raised the stakes for EVERYONE. He's got it all-chops, tone, style, flair, taste, and above all SONGWRITING ABILITY (a trait sorely lacking in just about any 'guitar virtuoso' you can mention). He's the ultimate amalgam of all that was and all that will be, musically. He has spawned everything from pale imitations to outright denial and vitriol from his 'peers'. He has cast one hell of a LONG musical shadow....he is the standard by which players will be measured for years to come. His influence has reached players of rock, pop, jazz, country, classical, new age, etc etc etc. Once called the 'Thomas Edison of guitar', his inventions and conventions will LONG outlive him. Thus, he has reached a certain immortality. Once he set foot in the public eye, he secured a place in music history. A rare feat for someone who is still alive.

2)Charlie Christian--I'm not a jazz fan at all, but this is the guy who first moved the guitar from 'accompaniment' status to the forefront. No C.C., no guitar solos.

3)(collectively) The Beatles--a phenomenon more than a band, their music continues to inspire people to play, write, etc. They were the first 'supergroup', and they define the word 'classic' for the 20th century. They were the band that took rock and roll from its 12-bar blues roots and turned it into a medium capable of 'real' songwriting, thereby allowing rock and roll to continue as a progressing, ever-expanding art form.

4)Django Reinhardt--the man proved once and for all that what George McFly said is true: if you set your mind to it, you can acomplish ANYTHING. This guy did more with a warped, melted fret hand than most healthy people could ever DREAM to with 'normal' functioning.

5)Andres Segovia--he took the guitar from the parlors and back rooms and brought it to the concert hall; the first to 'legitimize' the instrument in the eyes of the classical music lovers across the world. He taught us that the guitar is up to the challenges of Bach, Vivaldi, and others, and worthy of sharing the stage with the great pianists, violinists, etc., of the world.

------------------
    I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1.hendrix
    2.EVH
    3.Vai
    4.SRV
    5.Randy Rhodes

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Hendrix
    2. SRV
    3. EVH
    4. Clapton (could have had a higher spot if kept playing his guitar after Cream)
    5. Buddy Guy

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Top 5?, ...

EVH
    Randy Rhodes
    SRV
    Dimbag
    Jerry Cantrell

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

Well let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look kids!? Woah!!!

www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's "scents". Username and password are vhlinks.

[This message has been edited by Eyes of the Night (edited January 15, 2001 at 09:56 AM).]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. EVH
    2. Hendrix
    3. Jimmy Page
    4. SRV
    5. Eric Clapton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. EVH : The original guitar hero. Single handedly (or two hand tappingly) changed rock guitar as we know it...possibly forever.

2. Yngwie J. Malmsteen : He's actually better and faster now than he was in the early 80's. Neoclassical metal, blues, cover tunes, classical...he's is a master of them all. "Concerto Suite" was beyond unbelievable. A genious in every sense of the word. Rock on Yngwie!!!

3. Michael Romeo : No one should be this good. It almost isn't humanly possible.

4. John Petrucci : He must have at least 4 degree's in music theory. His use of hybrid scales and odd-meter patterns is outstanding. Very creative as well.

5. Luca Turilli : Sure, he isn't known for his fleet fingered solos, but he certainly could play them if he wanted to. His rhythms technique and song writing are awesome.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Eddie of course. Ed's the only player that i cant listen to without wanting to play. I Never would have touched a guit if it werent for king edward. (did that make sense..i just got obliterated)

2. Slash. He fuckin rules man. If you dont like slash all you have to do is get Guns N' Roses live album and you will love him.

3. Satch. Damn that is some bad ass tapping in "Midnight". Satch is like an eddie jr. but he still opens a can on his albums. Satch has IMO the greatest guitar instrumental album of all time with "surfing with the aliens". I noticed some of you have mentioned vai and thats fine but i dont see how you could like vai over satch. vai is a terrible songwriter.

------------------
    "It makes much more sense to live in the present tense" Eddie Vedder

"Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians" Kurt Cobain

"I dont know whats going to happen but I want to have my kicks, before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" Jim Morrrison

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops? I changed my mind. These are the top 5 influential guitar players for me all time.

EVH
    Stone Gossard
    Jerry Cantrell
    Dimebag Darrell
    Dave Grohl

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

Well, let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look kids!?, Woah!!!

G4www.freedrive.com under No Bozo's, username and password are vhlinks

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.23.07 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not even going to attempt to narrow down 5 as the best of all time, so here are my 5 favorites:

1. John Petrucci
    2. Al Dimeola
    3. Steve Morse
    4. Eric Clapton
    5. Steve Vai

Don't beat the hell out of me . . . Eddie is definitely in my top 10!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Evh
    vai
    rhodes
    satch
    srv

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAFTER:
    vai is a terrible songwriter.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Vai reached his pinicle with Passion and Warefare. I think that album was truely Vai at his best.

His earlier stuff is great but IMO it's just a guitar players idea of Zappa.

His later stuff is IMO pretty stinky, great technique but bs tunes.

My top 6 (rock players overall playing)

1) EVH
    2) Ty Tabor
    3) David Gilmor
    4) Eric Johnson
    5) Clapton
    6) Page

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4
    "MEEEOOOOWWW" -Big Red Allan

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.23.07 @ 01:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll second that!!!

Ty Tabor is VERY overlooked when talking about guitarists. Great choice!

[This message has been edited by Lake of Fire (edited February 09, 2001 at 04:31 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Eddie himself has said there is no "best" guitar player...so, my favorites based on the EVH standard of those who touch me the most musically....
    1. EVH
    2. SRV
    3. Segovia
    4. Lindsey Buckingham
    5. Stanley Jordan
    6. Andrew Ridgely of Wham!(lol)

------------------
    You ain't a Van Halen fan??!!??

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE AND STEP AWAY...VERY...VERY...SLOWLY!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1. Edwards Van Halen - Most of you know why he is number 1 so I don't really need to elaborate. But I think the combination of his creativity, technical skills, and good song structure make him the best ever. Very creative that Van Halen is.

2. Jimi Hendrix- Probably the most influential guitarist ever. Him just influencining so many meople makes him number two. He was the 1st to do sooo many things which most guitarists do to this day.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn - The essential blues guitarists. He useds to play for hours on end until his calises fell off. So he superglued them back on just so he could play some more. Probably techincally one of the best blues guitarists ever, but he would also make you feel the blues. You could tell his music was coming directly from his heart to his fingers.

4. Eric Clapton - Another great blues guitarist. He had to be on here because he was Eddie's main influence. I think his Cream era was the best, though he has an accomplished solo career also.

5. Jimmy Page- Magic in the studio, sloppy live. He makes some of the best studio recordings, with great song structure and so on.

Honorable mentions: Satch, Vai, Rhoads, Slash.

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"