Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i called today about guitar lessons. the instructor will call when available. the lessons are $12 for a half hour. maybe when i come here in the future i'll know what the hell you guys are talking about.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The instructor will call you when he's available? I wouldn't wait too long. There's lots of good teachers out there who'll talk to you right away, or call you back within the hour. You're the one putting out the cash, so make sure you're happy with who's instructing you.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the guy called me today.
    some of the things he asked me was what kind of music i'm interested in playing( i said rock). i start thursday. do they teach notes or tabs? i think i'd prefer notes, tabs are too confusing to me.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

take time to learn tab, once you do it'll be easier than reading notes. don't get too dependant on notation, learn to use your ears.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been teaching guitar for over 5 years. TAB is easier to understand for fingerings, notation for rhythms. The internet type tablature sucks...but the sort in magazines and songbooks is excellent.

The two together are the ultimate format. However, learning standard notation will eventually pay off...especially if you find yourself wanting to learn anything classical or jazz; not to mention, it's a great tool to understand theory.

The more you learn, the more you have to work with!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

guitarsolos
    Get a subscription to: Guitar 1. Guitar school and guitar. It will cost you so much less than going to some guitar players house and paying him 12.00 a 1/2 hour to write down 25% of what you can learn by spending $1.00 on a guitar issue that you have forever! If you are smart...fine out who else plays your type of music in your area and just jam!!! This is more important than any 12 dollar lesson...Make yourself happy instead of some freak with 12 dollars of your money. Remember: Mags, friends and jam buds RULE!!! Just keep listening freely to music and play till you puke!! d)

guitarsolos
    Get a subscription to: Guitar 1. Guitar school and guitar. It will cost you so much less than going to some guitar players house and paying him 12.00 a 1/2 hour to write down 25% of what you can learn by spending $1.00 on a guitar issue that you have forever! If you are smart...fine out who else plays your type of music in your area and just jam!!! This is more important than any 12 dollar lesson...Make yourself happy instead of some freak with 12 dollars of your money. Remember: Mags, friends and jam buds RULE!!! Just keep listening freely to music and play till you puke!!

guitarsolos
    Sorry for the echoooooooo

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SO now I'm a $12 dollar freak????

Well, I guess it's better than being a ten dollar whore!

Honestly, a teacher can provide a lot more than just a $12 lesson. The regular lessons promote responsibility, dedication, a possible role model, someone to explain stuff you may see in a magazine but not understand, and many others.

A teacher can help get you on the right track, and any GOOD teacher will show that YOU are your own best teacher. Learning how to teach yourself is invaluable; sometimes it takes a teacher to show you how.

If you don't want a teacher now, that's fine. At some point in time you MIGHT need one, and then again, maybe not. Without a teacher guiding you, you're on your own when it comes to your learning, kinda like letting the monkeys run the zoo. Maybe you have cool monkeys....and maybe you don't. Good luck!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ABV is absolutely right. A teacher does much more than write down notation. He, (or she)shows you proper hand teqnique, and a no. of other things to keep you from getting too frustrated and giving up along the way. They can also keep your enthusiasm up, but you've gotta practice. Your teacher will also show you the best way to accomplish a solo, or song, and you'll actually understand what you're doing, which will make it easier to learn the next peice you want to do. It's important that you find a teacher that teaches you what you want to learn once you're past the basics(learn them first).
    Buying a book with tab in it is fine once you have some idea of what you want to do, but it's no substitute for a good instructor.
    12.00 is a drop in the bucket when you realize what it's doing for you musically. You probably won't see that for a while, but as you pick up speed and things start to come to you quicker it'll make sense.
    Jamming with freinds is important too. It helps you experiment, but it's only to put into practice what you've learned.
    Edward was classicaly trained, and Joe Satriani was a teacher for a good no. of years. Steve Vai was one of his students, as well as a lot of other well known players.
    I seriously doubt they'd be where they are today if they just got a guitar mag. subscription and jammed.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited February 01, 2001 at 06:04 AM).]

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well i took my first lesson.
    the guy is teaching me scales.
    i go once a week so i am determined to keeping practice
    tomorrow (i got a headache).
    the guy just helped me out a little and jammed the rest of the time , but he seems pretty cool. the best part was while i was waiting this kid in there was jamming and i think it was TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME, then he started playing something else that sounded awfully familiar.
    and the other guy says HOT FOR TEACHER right. it was beginning part.

[This message has been edited by topik killer (edited February 01, 2001 at 07:56 PM).]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay well this is what I did when mini-eyes was about 14. Got a guitar, took lessons for three months to get the chords down, and a few songs under my belt. Then I just started writing my own shit after that and really focussed on being original.

To bad I didn't take a few more lead lessons to fully understand the the different type of scales(appressios), shit like that.

I guess all I have to say, cause I'm cool like that, is it really depends on where you want to go with it? If you want everything I could tell you to study your ass off, if you want just to learn a few songs? cool, and all's you want it for is to get chicks then a-men brotha.

----

G4

E.C.A.S.!