Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OUCH, that's a lot of cash.
    Good luck.
    By the way, your picture's not coming up.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Designed after the "Unchained" and "Fair Warning" tracks huh? I don't think I'd ever pay that much for an amp, but just out of pure interest, does this thing really hit the classic EVH brown sound? I've never even heard of it. I thought the old Marshall JMP's or JCM 800's would be closest to the early VH tone?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry bout the pictures. I just fixed all of them. Let me know what ya think.
    I know it's a bit pricey but you definately know the difference when you play throught it.

The answer is YES!! It's the closest thing to pure VH I've heard.

Bill

www.blockheadamps.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 983 Times in 396 Posts

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you're selling an amp for that kind of money you should make a point of removing the chasis and showing pictures of the circuitry.
    The guys that can afford it want to know what kind of design it's got before buying. They'll probably me marshall collectors and will know by looking at it.
    When you see older expensive marshall heads for sale a picture of the cicuitry is almost always include and for the kind of money you're asking, which is more than plexi head are getting that should have been included.
    No one cares about the case. You can pick them up for 150.
    I've seen original plexi heads going for less, and I have to tell you honestly, I doubt very much it sounds like an old 69 or earlier marshall head because they all sound a bit different but they all sound great.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you wanna see the circuitry, here's a link:

http://www.blockheadamps.com/html/BLK50.html

As far as the case goes, it's ATA certified, 1/4 inch plywood with a laminate top and was custom made for the amplifier. The case is NOT a standard model you can just waltz in a music shop and pick up. It's a custom peice.

I appreciate the input and based on what you and others are saying, I'll probably end up keeping it. I put alot of research into buying a boutique amp that does what I want it to do.

The guys at Blockhead "audition" old Plexi's and have found the best one and duplicated it's circuitry and components without sparing expense. Yes, old plexi's sound different and vary. They've taken the guess work out of that and built amplifiers that the user can depend on. I would be wary of buying an old Plexi. What if it goes down? What recourse do I have? With Blockhead, I don't have that worry.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're probably smart keeping it if it's that good.
    It doesn't look like you'll get your asking price.
    Old plexis are repaired all the time. My 69 had some work done. Parts were replaced with original parts and it didn't affect the tone at all.
    There are guys that will pay big bucks for a boutique modelling amp, but you have to find the right buyer.

Here's a picture of my 69.

Marshall amp

[ October 26, 2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might have better luck putting something about early EVH tone in the main title, and since we are on the subject of Boutique amp, anyone heard of a Mojabi or Mojavi something like that, it's supposed to be another amp modeled from "Unchained" someone called me to ask if I knew anything about them and I didn't anyone here know ?
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I've heard them and honestly wasn't impressed.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

I've never understood the whole appeal of many of these boutique amplifiers. Many of them duplicate an amp that is available, often in good condition, for at least less than half of the price. I mean if you want to sound like Fair Warning, that is great, but didn't Ed play through a Marshall? If I am way off here let me know, but I just don't understand.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up the Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's quite the little collection you've got going on there!

Are the Strats original or reissue's?

Awesome setup!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I've done some research on this amp myself, and it does kick ass.
    It is THE AMP if you want the Van Halen Fair Warning era tone.
    To answer some of the guys that are confused about "Didn't Ed play a Marshall on that?", I'll try to explain.
    The old Plexi's had a good design, but there were wide variations in tone between them because Marshall would use whatever components were available and affordable.
    Blockhead amps use the same design, but use components with tighter tolerences, and consistency. This is why it is such a good amp.

The fact is, no major manufacturers make amps this way anymore, so if you want a new amp made like the old Marshalls, you have to get a boutique amp.

I would have got one myself, but the Blockhead is so prohibitively expensive that I couldn't buy it. My lead guitar player loves the old Plexi tone, and he bought a Germino 45watt head, and the thing rocks. My 5150 combo's crunch channel post was set on 4, and his volume never went above 2, and he was blowing me off the stage.

Nothing wrong with boutique amps, just make sure you do your research. As far as the Blockhead, it's well worth the money if you have it to spend.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The old Plexi's had a good design, but there were wide variations in tone between them because Marshall would use whatever components were available and affordable.
    Sorry nobozos. I think you're a good guy and very knowledagable about your equipment, but I think you're wrong in this respect.
    Marshall amps of the plexi era aren't "widely variable" in tone. I've played at least 9 of them, and there is some some variation, but a plexi head is recognizable because they all have the same type of sound. A lot of it is due to the plate voltage used in those days, but even those amps with higher plate voltage still sound like plexis because of the early components used by particular manufacturers.
    Some small resistors or caps were substituted for a brighter sound at times, but the overall sound is negledgable from one amp to the next, because of the type of manufacturers components used. Thats why guys who want to fix their plexi or early heads look for certain manufacturers for their parts. Later in the 70's marshall changed some of the component manufacturers, and component values for a more aggressive sound. Affordable had nothing to do with it. Some small caps or resistors which gave them more gain in some cases, but they still sound like marshalls.
    I've yet to hear a boutique head that actually sounds like an old marshall, and I've heard a bunch.
    Even marshall has tried to get their reissues to sound like the originals, and while they're close, they're not the same.
    The amps you mentioned are very high quality amps, and I'm sure are built like tanks, but to me they just don't sound like an early marshall head. I have a 69 that has it's own sound and I haven't heard a boutique amp that nails it. I wouldn't mod it, cause it sounds amazing with a strat, while most later marshalls don't.
    Homeunit and I have the same 70's heads as well, that have been modded for gain, as well as looping and channel switching, and made to use with humbuckers. My strat sounds like shit through it but put a good humbucker through it and watch out. If you close your eyes these amps sound virtually identical, even though they're seperate by a couple of years, but because they're both marshalls, with basically the same components and transformers it was possible to get the same sound out of both of them. They start off not imitating, but sounding like a marshall to begin with.
    I think if you want to sound like you're playing a marshall you have to be playing a marshall.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by tribb:
    I think if you want to sound like you're playing a marshall you have to be playing a marshall.
    Yup!

I've heard the Mojave amp, as well as others designed to sound like Marshalls and Ed's early tone and I have yet to hear one that does it as well as my amp, ands that's the one tone that it has that I doen't use. I'm not saying that the Blockhead doesn't sound like Fair Warning or anything cause I haven't heard it.

So many variables go into making a tone and an amp is a big part of it, and a Marshall is a Marshall for a reason.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium