Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a digitech 100 processor and whenever I plug it in to my amp, it creates a a huge hiss noise and is very distracting. You cant hear the sound when Im playing but its very loud when Im not. I was wondering if there is any way I can get rid of this sound. I know I can turn the clean channel on my amp, but then there isnt enough gain in the sound. Any ideas?
    I am awesome

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was fully expecting to read something about a blow-up doll in this thread. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Nick,that's just noise from the gain generated by the gear. That's why you don't notice it when you fade to your clear channel. Some units are noisier than others, and your amp just intensifies that when you crank it up. There are units like the Rocktron HUSH out there to settle the problem. I'm not real up on the latest gear myself, so I'll let tribb and the other guys give some good recommendations, not to mention add anything to my response about the noise.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Digitech sucks. Try other effects to see if you get the hiss. If you do, then it may be a bad cable. If you don't, you may need to just do some fine tuning with the processor. CCheck to see if it has dip switches anywhere... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A lil more help anyone?
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Digitech effects aren't any worse than other effects and a no. of them are pretty good.
    What Wolfman said though is right on the money.
    You're sending a high gain signal out of the digitech processor into the preamp of your amp which takes the signal and intensifies it, signal and noise as well.
    Using a unit like the Hush would help somewhat, but in order to kill a lot of the hiss you'd have to keep the level up and that would also kill your sustain.
    You haven't mentioned what type of amp you're using and it would help to know that.
    What you want to do is find a good balance between the gain stage of your amp and the effects processor. You're also going to have to adjust a no. of the parameters on your effects processor. Sometimes the effect you like has too much, or the wrong EQ, or the wrong distortion characteristic for your preamp..etc
    Is your amp a tube amp or solid state, and what make?
    Lets start there.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One thing that you might want to think about is what you're using this effects unit for. If you're using it for delays, reverbs, choruses, etc., then I would suggest running the unit through your effects loop, rather than in the front end of the amp. If you are using distortion and similar effects, then you will have to use some type of noise reducing device. The latter can be a pain in the arse, but sometimes a necessary evil.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by tribb:
    Digitech effects aren't any worse than other effects and a no. of them are pretty good.
    What Wolfman said though is right on the money.
    You're sending a high gain signal out of the digitech processor into the preamp of your amp which takes the signal and intensifies it, signal and noise as well.
    Using a unit like the Hush would help somewhat, but in order to kill a lot of the hiss you'd have to keep the level up and that would also kill your sustain.
    You haven't mentioned what type of amp you're using and it would help to know that.
    What you want to do is find a good balance between the gain stage of your amp and the effects processor. You're also going to have to adjust a no. of the parameters on your effects processor. Sometimes the effect you like has too much, or the wrong EQ, or the wrong distortion characteristic for your preamp..etc
    Is your amp a tube amp or solid state, and what make?
    Lets start there.
    Sorry it took so long, I havent been on here much in the last couple of days, but I have a Crate 6x-212
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you mean a GX 212?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oops yea lol
    I am awesome

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it's a solid state amp, so the gain will be done by IC's of whatever circuit crate's designed for it.
    Crates tend to have a fair amount of hiss when the gain is cranked by itself, so once you add even more gain to the equation it's amplifying the Digitech gain signal as well and the hiss can get out of hand as you're discovering.
    The result will be more gain than musical signal, and can even cut highs or lows with the hiss.
    You can mix a clean and higher gain signal with those amps and that's something worth looking into.
    The best option I think is to run your Digitech through the clean channel only and really take your time setting up your presets on the Digitech.
    Once you've got a sound on the digitech you like then turn up the volume on the amp and see if it still sounds good at higher volumes. You may have to create a preset for lower and higher volumes seperately.
    One trick is to use the clean channel at higher volume, around 6, and start with your processor's ouput signal very low. Once you've got a sound you like then adjust the output parameter on the effects unit to bring the volume up so the volume is the same with ot without the processor on.
    It works well for tube amps, because they saturate differently at higher volue, but it's hard to say how it'll work in a solid state unit, which only mimics tube saturation.
    I think you're basically going to have to set up your Digitech in the clean channel to keep it relatively quiet, but try mixing the clean and high gain so you just have a bit of gain added to the clean side and see how that works.
    Again, take your time setting up your processor. There are a lot of parameters to consider for an overall sound and you'll have to experiment.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If you want the gain you have to excersize volume control. If you think about it when you are on stage in front of your amp that's cranked up you have to turn the volume down when you are not playing, even if its for a couple of beats. Its the same way with the processor [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]