Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

In \'N\' Out
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to get to know everyone a little better: what's your main playing rig consist of? Guitars(and:which is that "number one"axe?), amps, effects?
    Is this just for jamming at home, with friends, or do you play out with a band?
    Here's mine: I've whittled my guitar collection DOWN this year. I play a Reverend Rocco(my #1), and a Reverend Avenger TL(more on both these guitars in future posts)through a Reverend Drivetrain Overdrive(as a lead boost), MXR Phase 90(guess how I fell in love with THAT pedal?), Crybaby Wah...into a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL401 combo(a cool little amp. Great GROWL to her). I play in a band(hobby, mostly. I have a day job) and should be doing some gigs when my group finishes recording(we should go into the studio in a couple of weeks, and hopefully release the result independently in the Spring or early Summer). I have a Reverend Hellhound amp on order. We'll see how that figures into all of this then.

How 'bout you?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had the same set up for about six years now, basically cause I didn't sacrifice wine, women, and booze to save up for better gear.

Living in military barracks doesn't leave you much room for playing loud either, so it kind of puts a damper on your dreams of having that bitching tube combo or stack.

Guitar: Jackson DX2-Basswood with Maple top and a Floating Floyd;Two Octave fretboard. Lately I've been thinking of putting some Angus Young, or other humbuckers in the neck and bridge, and a Lace sensor in the middle.

Amps: Piece of shit Valvestate 8040 that only works when I route my RP-5 through the power amp in input. Hasn't worked for some years now, and I think I might take it to get repaired since I'm on duty in LA. Oh yeah, a piece of shit Park that I occasionally have to beat the shit out of to stop crackling.

Effects: Digitech RP-5. I can't change the value up anymore, so there's another piece of electronics that pisses me off. But I have my user presets that I really dig. I usually run it out Stereo into the Marshall and Park.

A crybaby wah that hasn't worked for a long ass time, and an Ibanez Flanger...I bought em both used and they don't work for dick now.

And as of today, I secured a bid on a beautiful Flame Top Wolf Std...Ohhhhhhh yeaaaa
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of last year - Just jamming with friends and plunkin around the house.

Main axe - 76 Gibson Les Paul
    Amps - Carvin X-100 and Roland Spirit 10A
    Effects - Zoom 9000S processor with foot controller

Recent Christmas gift from my incredibly wonderful wife and new main axe - 98 Wolfgang Standard ( acquired for much less than half list price on EBAY, Good luck MightyCopenHalenII !! )

New year's resolutions to play/record more with friends, and win the lottery so a fulltime band can be created.

Peace
    GH4L

[ December 30, 2001 at 02:55 AM: Message edited by: gtrhead4life ]</p>
    "Choose Wisely"

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

My pro rig is my 1989 Black Gibson Les Paul Standard into a Bogner Ecstacy into one or two Marshall 4x12 (straight front w/checkerboard grill and 25 watt celestions). I use a Boss tuner, Vox wah, TS-9 tubescreamer, Boss CE-2 Chorus, MXR 90, and Boss OC-2 Octave.

Jamming at home is my 1971 Marshall 100 watt superlead, with a line out from a THD Hotplate run through my Bradshaw switching system that holds a Loft Chorus/Flange unit and a Chandler Stereo Echo. That all goes into a Tubeworks Mosvalve power amp into another marshall 4x12. I usually play a Tom Anderson Drop Top or my mutt.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolf Standard
    Line 6 POD 2.0

I don't have an amp,so I use the POD with headphones, or plug it into the computer's external sound system (with subwoofer unit). It sounds great for now, until I get an amp.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jape Man:
    My pro rig is my 1989 Black Gibson Les Paul Standard into a Bogner Ecstacy into one or two Marshall 4x12 (straight front w/checkerboard grill and 25 watt celestions). I use a Boss tuner, Vox wah, TS-9 tubescreamer, Boss CE-2 Chorus, MXR 90, and Boss OC-2 Octave.

Jamming at home is my 1971 Marshall 100 watt superlead, with a line out from a THD Hotplate run through my Bradshaw switching system that holds a Loft Chorus/Flange unit and a Chandler Stereo Echo. That all goes into a Tubeworks Mosvalve power amp into another marshall 4x12. I usually play a Tom Anderson Drop Top or my mutt.
    <hr></blockquote>

Japeman!!! You have great taste in gear!! Does the tone of the superlead stay true through the hot plate, and effects, and then out of the power amp? Does it remain pretty close to the original power tube saturation tone? I ask because I want to add a non master superlead type amp to my rig but want to still be able to run effects after the distortion.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks Larry. To answer your question. . .no. Unfortunately, there's nothing that sounds quite like a Superlead on 10 (except a superlead on 10). The hotplate is nice, but the line out kinda squashes the tone. I'm using a mosvalve power amp, so that might be the problem. The best way to run that set up is with a dry cab mixed with the effected cab. I haven't tried it yet, but I could add another 4x12 from the Hotplate (set at an attenuated level) and still send the line out to the Bradshaw system. That way, I'd have the dry tone of the amp and the loaded signal. I think that's the best way. The other thing to consider is that it's still going to sound best LOUD. You can still take the line out and still use the Hotplate to attenuate the signal, but not too much. The less the better. I hope that sort of answered your question.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gtrhead4life:
    Most of last year - Just jamming with friends and plunkin around the house.

Main axe - 76 Gibson Les Paul
    Amps - Carvin X-100 and Roland Spirit 10A
    Effects - Zoom 9000S processor with foot controller

Recent Christmas gift from my incredibly wonderful wife and new main axe - 98 Wolfgang Standard ( acquired for much less than half list price on EBAY, Good luck MightyCopenHalenII !! )

New year's resolutions to play/record more with friends, and win the lottery so a fulltime band can be created.

Peace
    GH4L

[ December 30, 2001 at 02:55 AM: Message edited by: gtrhead4life ]
    <hr></blockquote>

GTRHEAD...Amen to that brother

Also, I just acquired a pretty much mint 5150 212.
    Yes, the clean channel might leave some noise out there, but I don't see anything a good studio setup or a decent noisegate can't satisfy.

Fuck, If you wanna play pristine clean chords, get a Twinnie and stop pissin and moanin.

Although, indeed, I played one before, but I can only say it again and again, That 212 plain fuckin thumps, and nothin beats tube saturation....nothin.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Same basic setup for the last ten years, but a few of the toys are fairly new -

Three axes for the time being - My Purple Wolfgang Special, Fender Strat that I popped some EMG's in to, and my old Charvel Model 2 that I striped ala Ed.
    My baby is a 1974 Marshall MkII with a loop mod that I had put in but never use. The 4x12 cab has original greenbacks still in it.

Gear includes a crybaby wah, phase 90 and MXR flanger; Marshall 9001 preamp; and an ART SGE MachII effects processor.

The Marshall preamp and ART (piece of shit - I learned the hard way) will go soon this year. Plan to go back to a Chandler tube driver pre-amp - I used one before the Marshall, and wish I'd never changed. Definitely a new effects processor - not sure what yet, though.

Also going to get my mitts on a Fender Twin at some point soon.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Amp:
    79'Hiwatt DR103
    74' Hiwatt 4X12 Cab with orignal Fane speakers

Effects:
    Cry Baby Wah
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss Chorus

Guitars:
    Wolfgang Standard (Sunburst)
    2 Fender Strats

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:26 AM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Since I'm still playing out, I still need a fairly loud set up.

Main Axe: '96 Peavey Wolfie Standard (Black)
    Backups: '92 EVH Music Man (Hot Pink or whatever it's called, mostly retired now, was my main axe for years), '86 Kramer Baretta (Cherry Red), '83 Les Paul Standard (Cherry Red)

Amp: 5150 Head, Marshall Cab

Effects: MXR Phase 90, Boss Flanger BF-1, Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Crybaby Wah, Boss Compression Sustainer CS-1, and a Digitech rack I just use for reverb mostly.

Nothing real fancy, just makes a lot of racket. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here it goes guys- just finished it....
    99' Peavey Wolf Special Black
    00' Peavey Wolf Special Sunburst
    98' Ernie Ball Axis Natural
    01' Wasburn N4 Natural (I am selling it soon)
    01' Wolf Standard Black
    5150II head
    2 5150 straight cabs
    2 Furman pl plus power conditioners
    H3000 SE Eventide Harmonizer
    2 Roland SDE 3000 Delays
    Crappy Alesis Quadraverb
    MXR Flanger
    MXR Phaser
    Groove tubes SEII speaker emulator
    DMC system mix plus
    DMC switcher
    DMC gound control pro midi foot pedal board
    535q dunlop wah
    tubeworks mosvalve power amp
    All of this wired stereo and sounds like 5150 to balance tone!! And yes I love the early Van Halen tone even better but I got bored with it after years. I still turn all this stuff off and enjoy the brown sound. This kina turned into a hobby over the last year.
    Marc

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jape Man:
    Thanks Larry. To answer your question. . .no. Unfortunately, there's nothing that sounds quite like a Superlead on 10 (except a superlead on 10). The hotplate is nice, but the line out kinda squashes the tone. I'm using a mosvalve power amp, so that might be the problem. The best way to run that set up is with a dry cab mixed with the effected cab. I haven't tried it yet, but I could add another 4x12 from the Hotplate (set at an attenuated level) and still send the line out to the Bradshaw system. That way, I'd have the dry tone of the amp and the loaded signal. I think that's the best way. The other thing to consider is that it's still going to sound best LOUD. You can still take the line out and still use the Hotplate to attenuate the signal, but not too much. The less the better. I hope that sort of answered your question.<hr></blockquote>

Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Right now I use the dry cab mixed with the effected cab method with 2 5150's, a dry 4x12, and two 2x12's with effects. I love the 5150 with detune chorus and echo, but I'm not fond of the dry 5150, so I'm gonna keep 1 5150 for my effected tone and switch the dry 5150 for a Superlead for the dry cab. Now I must quest for a good Superlead, hopefully I can find an aluminum control plate model for a decent price. Thanks for answering my question Japeman! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's see..

Wolfie red flametop
    50 watt Marshall combo
    Digitech 2101 w/foot controller
    Bad Horsie Wah
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Delay
    TS9 Tubescreamer
    same crappy Alesis Quadraverb as mentioned above
    BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer (which I love!!)
    about 10 more pedals I break out every once in a while..
    Line 6 POD for practicing at home with and recording purposes.
    10 fingers... that's about it I think.
    Some of this stuff has so much dust on it I can't recognize them anymore [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eddie:
    Let's see..

Wolfie red flametop
    50 watt Marshall combo
    Digitech 2101 w/foot controller
    Bad Horsie Wah
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Delay
    TS9 Tubescreamer
    same crappy Alesis Quadraverb as mentioned above
    BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer (which I love!!)
    about 10 more pedals I break out every once in a while..
    Line 6 POD for practicing at home with and recording purposes.
    10 fingers... that's about it I think.
    Some of this stuff has so much dust on it I can't recognize them anymore [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    <hr></blockquote>

You wouldn't happen to be the dirty goat rapin mule humpin bastard that stole my Trans Red Wolf of Ebay are ya???

Just jokin man...

Hey Eddie, I have some questions about your gear hoss. I was wondering, is the Sonic Maximizer basically a dynamic enhancer? Fuck if I know.

Haven't you been pissed that everyone and their brother is playing a POD?

I'm an old RP5 owner, so I remember how it was when Digitech owned the floor and rackmount scene.

Come on now. Is the fucking POD really that amazing? I've never played through one, and don't really care to. Digitech did amazing things for effects processors, and I'd care less to think that fucking POD has anything new under the sun.

The only thing I hate about the distortions of all those consolidated units, and their respective preamps, is that they tend to put out a good distorted tone, but it lacks the thickness, definition, and spatial aura of a tube amp.

Model me this and model me that. But I'm really looking forward towards doing my "mic'd tube amp" recordings.

Second, I should add, are their digital effects really all that great? The fucking Chorus and Flanger on the RP5 always got damn close to what I was looking for, but always lacked a huge part of what I needed. I stand by my creed, that imitation is a bastard, but flattery is honorable.

I don't claim to own the sloppy shit brained antics of mid nineties alternative players, but can these fuckers really hack?

I'm just curious.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!