Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I need help selecting a pickup for my EVH copy guitar (Kramer Body, Warmoth neck, Striped like VH I). Currently, I have a Seymour Duncan Trembucker Custom, however, it lacks a gread deal in the area of sustain and hermonics.

I'm playing it through a 5150 120 watt head and Marshall 4x12 cab (75 watt Celestion).

I keep getting conflicting messages. I've heard the SD Distortion (SH-6) or the SD Custom Custom is the way to go or even an EVH Custome Shop pickup if you really want the "Brown Sound." I'm also hearnig a lot about the DiMarzio Tone Zone.

Can anyone tell me their expereince and what they believe is the best EVH sounding pickup when using a 5150 head. Thank you!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I put a Duncan Super distortion in a copy of my own. The thing to be careful of with a pickup like that, when used in conjunction with a hot amp like a Marshall (mine is a '74 MkII) is not to use too much preamp distortion. Keep in mind that Ed used no overdrive pedals - it was his Marshall driving hard that broke things up. You'll notice that although Ed has a lot of crunch to his sound there's very little "buzzsaw" distorrtion to his sound. I try to stay away from preamp distortion as much as possible myself.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mojo,
    I might have the pickup your looking for, If you interrested take a look at this link. It's for a pair of Axis pickups, from the discussions here it seems to be the general consensus that the Axis and the EVH Musicman pups are the same.
    Axis / EVH pickups

Dave

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MOJODOJO, (there's a tongue twister of a name),
    Tone zones suck. They're ditorted and gritty sounding with poor highs through a high gain amp.
    Through my marshall (very high gain mod), I found the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover (that's right Seth Lover) with the cover off to be the best pickup I've heard for what you describe. It has an excellent tonal range, very good harmonics, and through a high gain amp it sounds excellent. For my backup guitar I use a custom custom which is pretty good too, but everything I've heard about the new custom shop SD EVH pickup has been nothing but good, and I've got one on order, along with another well known poster here.
    I'll let you know how it sounds when it arrives.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a 5150, and one thing for certain is that you do not want high output pickups. The amp has more than enough gain to make up for even a statically-charged credit card stuck under the strings and wired into a cable. (yes, I've tried that, and it actually works!)

I haven't heard the Seth Lover pickup yet , so I can only give suggestions of things I'm familiar with. The Duncan '59 is pretty nice, as is the DiMarzio PAF Pro.

The best pickups I've ever heard (and used) through the 5150 are Fender Texas Specials, but since you're dealing with a humbucker situation, that's a moot point.

In general, the 5150 doesn't have a lot of midrange, so a pickup with good mids and highs is a must. Stay away from anything too bassy or you'll end up with electric mud. One other tip: the 5150 has a low gain input which is usually overlooked. It really helps to clean up and warm up the sound, and there's always plenty of gain on tap to compensate.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

The Seymour Duncan Custom Custom is VERY brown. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I'd say go SD EVH custom shop, (of which I have on order as well), or a seth lover. The seth is the most honest p/u I've ever used. That's a good thing if you like the sound of the wood your using. It's not so good if your not completely happy with your wood.

I run a seth in an ash body and for me, it's to mid/high endy, but that's the nature of ash.

The custom/custom is also a very good p/u, that does sound particualarly good in my ash guitar, but it's of the higher output variety, 14.1 dc res, I believe. I've run a custom/custom in my ash body with a 5150 and it'll work, you just have to tune your amp to your guitar.

good luck
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want the EVH sound on anything other than VHIII I'd recommend that you check out something NON-high output. Something in the 9k to 10k ohm range. That's whether you have a 5150, Marshall, whatever. The super high output stuff is just not going to give you the clarity you want. The SD Custom Shop EVH pickup is quite impressive, but I've also heard Kent Armstrong makes a pickup almost identical to the "EVH" for about 40 bucks less, but I haven't heard that one yet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard the Kent Armstrong pickups, and they don't sound the same.
    The Seth Lover is about 7.5 K ohms, while the SD custom EVH is about 9k ohms.
    Homeunit's right. If you like the wood combination you have the Seth Lover will accent it.
    From what I understand so will the SD EVH.
    By the way, a pickup can have a very high ohm rating and still be a low output pickup, and vice versa.
    I've seen low output pickups that measured about 25K ohms, and very high output pickups that measured just over 5K ohms. It depends on the the thickness of the wilre and the no. of turns in relation to the type and thickness of wire used, so don't necessarilly go by the ohm resistance to measure the output of a pickup.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

TIME THE F*CK OUT!!!

Tribb (or whoever) is right, the ohms have NOTHING to do with a pickup being classified as high output or low output.

We need to go over some personal observations:

The Duncan Custom Custom was a pickup that Eddie had designed with Seymour before he went to Music Man.

The Music Man pickup is actually an 'F Spaced' Tone Zone. You can pay $250 bucks on the internet for the official Axis pickups, or you can buy the Tone Zone and call it a day. They even make a Tone Zone Trembucker now (i.e. an F Spaced Tone Zone). Some people say they put Tone Zones in their guitars and it doesn't sound like the Axis.

Well NO SH*T Shirlock, I've got both an Axis Standard and an Axis Super Sport, both with the Tone Zone pickup, and they sound TOTALLY different!! This is because the pickup in the Super Sport is farther away from the strings than it is on the Axis Standard. Additionally, the strings and pole pieces don't like up perfectly. Plus, the wood is different. (yes, you used to have options on the super sport)

Anyway, the Tone Zone (according to DiMarzio's site) is technically classified as a 'High Output' pickup, and it is....it just doesn't sound like your typical high output pickup because it doesn't have shredding bleeding shrill highs and upper mids. The Tone Zone has upper bass, lower mids, no upper mids, so-so lower highs, and medium upper highs to give it a smooth top end and a chunky ass bottom and mids. All tone, no buzzsaw. It's got an Alnico V magnet.

The Custom Custom has an Alnico 3. It is supposedly Seymour Duncan's (and Ed's) take on the 1984 tone.

The Custom Custom Custom (or the EVH as they're also calling it) is a Custom Custom with the Alnico 3 removed, and replaced with an Alnico V. This is what the Wolfgang/Axis P'up has. It supposedly sounds like the Wolf, which is more focused/compressed (but still tasteful)and louder than a Tone Zone.

For anyone to say (and there was some misinformed chap saying this a few weeks ago here) that Eddie recorded with a low output pickup is flat-out wrong.

Eddie at times even used an Invader, which is a higher output pickup than any of the above. The fact that he used a PAF '59 is relevant, but not in its totality, as he rewound the pickup by hand to incorporate more windings, PLUS he changed the magnet, resulting in a high octane tone that squealed. Thus, he copied the (back in the late 70's) Duncan secret and dropped the pickups in melted paraffin (or surfboard wax) to cut down on the squeal.

I *somewhat* disagree with anyone who says you shouldn't use a high output/medium output pickup with the 5150. It's what Ed uses.

I don't like the tone. Obviously somebody else doesn't like the tone. However, you *may* like the tone, so give it a whirl if you want.

My feeling is, you've got a 5150, so obviously you're not trying to simulate the 'Drop Dead Legs' tone. So rule out the Custom Custom. Even though that pickup probably gives you the best shot at DD Legs, the 5150 doesn't, so why pick something that *may* not be a good match?? (I wouldn't know)

Can you be a little more specific about what you're looking for?

So far you've said 'Sustain' and 'Harmonics'.

To me, this means Custom Custom Custom or Wolfgang P'ups off of E-Bay. Or a Tone Zone placed considerably close to the strings, as it is on the EVH/Axis model. Something with an Alnico V magnet, or hotter. Not my choice.....just trying to help.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:

The Music Man pickup is actually an 'F Spaced' Tone Zone.
    You're wrong on that one I believe.

The Custom Custom has an Alnico 3.
    Wrong, it's alnico 2

The Custom Custom Custom (or the EVH as they're also calling it) is a Custom Custom with the Alnico 3 removed, and replaced with an Alnico V.
    wrong again, alnico 2

Not bad, 3 for 3

I won't even comment on the rest
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For anyone to say (and there was some misinformed chap saying this a few weeks ago here) that Eddie recorded with a low output pickup is flat-out wrong.
    While I don't agree with a lot of things about pickups and what not I do agree with this statement, Eds pickup from everything I've been told were Hot, all were custom rewound with more windings, the pickup he designed (custom custom)is classified by Duncan as a High output pickup with 14.4 ohms,

As I have said before the Custom Custom and the Custom sound exactly the same to me in my guitars ( the only difference between them is the magnet)so that's what I use for the EVH tone.... and my cutomers think\thought so too so the custom or custom custom is what I always suggest (but also depending on the body\neck wood).

Now MOJODOJO,

You say the TB-Custom doesn't have sustain and Harmonics Correct ? don't be offended but have you checked the following...

are you using a noise gate\suppression device
    it may be set incorectly

is the pickup set to the proper height ? too far away and you will have poor\no sustain and harmonics won't ring thru

is it your guitar ? you say it's a Kramer body but what Kramer ?? Focus 1000 ? Striker ? Baretta ? Pacer ? etc etc , that makes a big difference, the Focus could be any number of woods but is probably maple, the striker is plywood the others I'm not sure, Kramer played spin the body woods for quite a while.

I asked these questions because I built the 5150, Frankenstrat, HFT etc etc replicas for quite a while and 75% of what I sent out the door had the Duncan TB-5 "custom" and my customers went nuts over them and believe me I tried every pickup I could till I hit the Custom Custom and the Custom.
    Just my 2 cents
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

(HomeUnit, I responded to you with a hostile edge, so I've come back and edited out some of the edge in this reply, since I may have misunderstood your angle. I've kept everything that is important, minus the hard feelings. Here is my response to what I perceived as a 3-pronged attack on my credibility)

1) It's widely agreed (although not totally) that the Tone Zone is the pickup in the EBMM/Axis. Music Man will not fess to this, because they want you to buy the guitar for the pickup, but DiMarzio (who makes money either way) WILL tell you that it's the same pickup, but spaced for the Axis. Whether you believe them is your choice. **I also question what is told to me by reps**...actually, all the time....but if you look at the tone chart for it, and you know it has an Alnico V, then that's gotta be pretty close.

2) You saying that I'm 'Wrong' on the Alnico 3 is pointless. There is no Alnico 3 in any of these p'ups....I should've said Alnico II. The point is, The Duncan Custom Custom has the lower-powered and sweeter sounding magnet, which is the Alnico II. Not the Alnico V.

3) The Custom Custom Custom *DOES INDEED* have the hotter & more focused Alnico V magnet. Duncan doesn't list it on their site anymore, but apparently you can ask for it through their custom shop (it's gotten about 8 reviews at Harmony Central). This *may* also be the 'EVH' pickup, as the Custom Custom Custom is nowhere to be seen now.

Speaking of Harmony Central, I'll paste this quote from the User Review database:

So, I called Seymour Duncan and explained to them that I wanted a direct cross between the Custom and the Custom Custom. I thought they were joking when they told me about the Custom Custom Custom. They told me that this was it but it was a Custom Shop Model. Apparently, all three are made with the same coils but the C has a ceramic magnet, the CC has an Alnico II magnet and the CCC has an Alnico V magnet. So, I had them make me one. What can I say? It is absolutely PERFECT!
    So, yes, it looks like I'm 3 for 3...as in 100% correct. You knew the point I was making, regardless of labels that don't exist (like the Alnico 3).

[img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

The original poster wants a new pickup. He said he wants sustain and harmonics. I told him he should try whatever he wants, but my recommendation is the Custom Custom Custom or a Wolf Pup off of E-Bay. Both have the hotter Alnico V, and have high output, sustain, and clarity.

That's my advice, and I'm sticking to it.

[ July 15, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I know I'm even more confused now.

[ July 15, 2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: xaminer ]
    Your favorite band sucks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Haven't seen anyone mention the DiMarzio FRED pickup yet.

Again, it's not necessarily my recommendation, but maybe in going along with what some of the others were hinting at, which is to choose a pickup that accents the frequencies the 5150 does NOT have, you'll come out on top.

The FRED is supposed to have TONS of mids, including upper mids (think Billy Gibbons, Slash) lower mids (think VH), good bass and crisp treble.

They also make a huge point at DiMarzio's website of singling-out that pup's harmonics.

Just a random thought......