Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, how can i start lol....

i downloaded cubase + a drum- plug in LM-4 a few days ago, and its great... so i wanted to record some tunes, and now i have a problem...

i have to mention that im not very into this recording stuff before, i just recorded without drums, just me and my guitar... here it comes... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE "$% I CAN CREATE SOME DRUM TUNES haha... do i have to buy a keyboard and play it via midi, or can i just make some tunes per drag and drop??? or does this plug in thing works like a drum machine?? i know its a stupid question, but i really knew NOTHING about how to make a few cool drum sounds...

[ January 06, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Save yourself the hassle man and go download Cool Edit Pro 2. The sister site, Loopology.com, has tons of drums loops and guitar licks you can download to drag and drop. Check Kazaa for the cracked full version.
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks dude [img]smile.gif[/img] ill try it...

i know how to make drum loops with the magix music maker, but how can i make some drum tunes with fills? anyway, ill try this cool edit prog lol...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

If you're using Cubase to program drums you really need a good sound source to start off with. I'm not familiar with the plugin you refer to. I've always used drums from an external source, most recently a Yamaha SW1000XG. If the plugin works as a source then you can make drum tracks like this ...

The convention is to put drums on MIDI channel 10, so assign the plugin to that channel and create a 1 or 2 bar part there with the pencil tool. Double click on that part and you should be in the 'Key Editor'. There's a piano keyboard down the left hand side which you can click on to hear the notes. Using the pencil tool you can 'draw' notes in the main window. Once you've got a drum pattern you're happy with you can exit the Key Editor and copy and paste the part throughout the song. You can also edit individual instances of the part to create fills.

It sounds more expressive when you use a keyboard to 'play' the drums, but it's not essential. Hope all this makes sense.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks charvel, but this midi thing doesnt work, the drum sound is awfull...

i think i prefer the drummachine (if i can get it to work [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] ) or the loops, its easier

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

When you say the drum machine, do you mean the plugin? If so, then you can use its sound in the way I described. In the main window where all the tracks are listed down the left hand side you should see a column called 'Output'. On MIDI channel 10 click on that column and you should be given a choice of MIDI instruments, including your plugin if it's properly enabled. Choose it, then program your drums in the way I described in the earlier post.

If you were using your souncard's MIDI sound source, or worse, the Windows virtual synth, the sound would be awful, just as you say. Good luck.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Charvel2:
    When you say the drum machine, do you mean the plugin? If so, then you can use its sound in the way I described. In the main window where all the tracks are listed down the left hand side you should see a column called 'Output'. On MIDI channel 10 click on that column and you should be given a choice of MIDI instruments, including your plugin if it's properly enabled. Choose it, then program your drums in the way I described in the earlier post.

If you were using your souncard's MIDI sound source, or worse, the Windows virtual synth, the sound would be awful, just as you say. Good luck.
    woohoow... in the end ive got it to work...

thank you very much, charvel [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

but this shitty plug-in doesnt work, but the midi-drum-sound is much better [img]smile.gif[/img]

this is my plug-in... http://archive.keyboardonline.com/fe...r/piplm4.shtml

you can download it in kazaa... but i must find out how this thing works [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ill hope youre not getting annoying with my questions... but heres another one [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

your drum sound in your song se7en sounds like a real drum... i mean the fills, like the snare drum fills sounded like real, how did you do that? did you prog it with the keyboard like you describted above? my midi fills sounds like a hiphop drum LOL, the snare sounds like tschakatschaka, know what i mean? [img]tongue.gif[/img] anyway, its very easy to prog some drum sounds with cubase, but i think i made something wrong

BTW; thanks for taking the time to answer my questions [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

One of the problems with programmed drums is the lack of dynamics. If you're not using a keyboard, and just 'drawing' the notes, they will all be played at maximum velocity (127). If you do a snare fill for instance it will sound like a machine gun because all the notes are the same volume. You can change the velocity of a note by highlighting it in the Key Editor window. Just above the main window is a series of numbers representing the position of the note, its duration and its velocity. If you have hi-hats playing eights, set on the beat to 127 and off the beat to about 90-100. That way the hats will sound like TK-tk-TK-tk-TK-tk-TK-tk etc rather than TK-TK-TK-TK-TK-TK-TK-TK, if you see what I mean. Also, you can make the drums sound less mechanical by making them slightly out of time. If you want a laid back sound, move the snare so that it's just behind the beat. For an edgy sound, move it so it's just ahead of the beat. You can do this with the first number at the top of the window. The bottom line is - experiment!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thank you very much charvel, you explained it very good, now it works [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] even the plug- in works great, but i cant stand the sound much longer [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

you must be a teacher ?

BTW: how long do you usually need to make up a drum track? dude, ts hard work haha, im sitting here 5 hours after your explainaton and made this trial and error thing and even got the half of my song ready... ive got to learn much more to made a good song out of it:hiccup:

BTW2: put up more songs from you, i would love to listen to it... i think everybody would hear something more from you [img]smile.gif[/img]